Notices

I strongly dislike my new psychiatrist!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

I strongly dislike my new psychiatrist!

Don't like using the word hate. It's to strong if a word. Anywho...

My old psychiatrist whom I loved took a leave of absence so I got referred to a new doc in the same building. I was seeing my therapist (whom I also love) and my old psychiatrist in the mood and anxiety disorders unit and I love them both. Was crushed when my psychiatrist told me she's be leaving. She referred me to a new psychiatrist in a different unit (the women's/eating disorders unit). She thought it'd be good because I used to suffer from anorexia and now I've gained 60 lb over the past year due to meds and alcohol. I still see the same therapist though, thank god.

I'm being treated for bipolar disorder. I went in yesterday and came clean to both my therapist and this new doc about how bad my drinking had gotten and that I was sober, so on so forth.

The new doc (I'll say that... Psychiatrist is so long to spell on a phone lol) acted as if I was a child and spoke down to me in a way that actually made me cry when I left. She also said that she thinks I was trying to end my life because I am prescribed klonopin for anxiety and she was thinking I was taking it with alcohol. I told her I don't want to die!! My old doc and therapist know me very well that I tell then every guy wrenching thing (except for the extent of my drinking up until now)

Anyways, she went on a tangent on how I can die if I take klonopin and alcohol together. I kept telling her I know and that I rarely took the klonopin for that reason! I even showed her a script for klonopin that I hadn't gotten filled because I knew I couldn't take them with alcohol! In my file, my old doc wrote about my paranoia and that definitely fits in! I always assumed that I would be the one person who would die if I took one klonopin with alcohol.

After that tangent, she started grilling me about drugs. I don't do drugs. I smoke cigarettes and (did) drink. I had a boyfriend pass away a while back due to heroin and that was enough deterrent to me. I told her that. Apparently she wasn't convinced.

Then she suggested we add a drug (I wish I could remember the name now) onto my drug regimen. She says "this drug is known to cause weight gain." I just sat there and stared at her. She knew I was spazzing out about my recent weight gain AND the fact that this was in the eating disorder unit! Why would they try to push a weight gainer onto someone who feels as though they would die if they gained a bunch of weight!

Anyways.... I refused and said I'd stick to my current drugs. (My weight has seemed to stabilize).

I left with a script for a refill and tears in my eyes. While heading to the car fuming, I get a call from her. She tells me to go to a different building to get a drug test AND a pregnancy test!! FINE! I went and pissed in a cup for her just to prove her wrong that I wasn't on drugs. And pregnancy? Wtf does that have to do with anything? I'm on my damn period anyways!!!!!

Whatever, I saw my therapist the same day and told her everything. She said she'd talk to my new doc and to give her one more chance. If I still didn't like her, they could get me a different person.

I can't wait until she gets the results of the drug test... CLEAN! Like I said... I don't do drugs and I haven't drank since Friday. Ugh.

Sorry for rant.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shrinks. (I also dislike psychiatrist, but more because I have to think about how to spell it.)

Who knows why she ordered the tests. Maybe the drug she wants to prescribe is deadly when taken in conjunction with some other substances. Maybe it is harmful to developing fetuses and she's covering her ass for malpractice.

Hope the next appointment is less stressful for you. Keep seeking.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Rant on! You change doctors as you see fit. They're all just practicing anyway.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Yeah.... She gets one more shot on August 11th.

I guess I just really miss my old doc. She was sensitive, kind and understanding. She would explain things to me in a respectful way and never make me feel attacked. :-(
Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have been to a few mental health pros. I'm kind of in the "never again" camp.

I know I don't gel with everyone, I'm sure you don't either. If you feel strongly about it, I'm with Trach, look for someone else.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How awful. It's not a marriage. If you don't like this one, try another. Life is too short for that.

Good luck to you!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a bad experience!

I have a wonderful psychiatrist who I really click with, but I wanted to share about the lady that I go to every year for a papsmear. My family doctor is a male and he doesn't do the annual papsmears. I am not fond of this other doctor.

I am totally honest with her and have told her that I had an abortion. It is part of the whole series of questions that she asks every year. She always challenges me about the birth control pill though. Would I consider taking it? What my issues are with it? Have I tried this particular kind? What about that particular kind?

And every time I tell her, 'nope, not interested because I'M NOT SEXUALLY ACTIVE and I would use protection on the rare occasions where I might be and if I get in a relationship I will certainly take it. But I choose not to alter my hormones for years on end in the meantime'.

I am a grown woman who knows her options, and I always feel like she is judging me about the abortion, which happened a LONG time ago. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. Perhaps we got off on a bad foot, or perhaps it is just a matter of our personalities not clicking.

I f-n hate being condescended to about the birth control pill when I'm a grown woman. Sorry I went off on my own rant. I have not been for my annual papsmear yet and I am six months late, and the reason is I hate seeing this doctor for it. I dread it it. Ugh. Perhaps I should look for someone new.

My point is: there is already lots of good advice here about the need to give a doctor a decent shot (maybe it was just a bad day or something, first impressions can sometimes be deceiving) but also the need to move on if it is not a good working relationship.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like you new doctor is disrespectful and she does not listen to you. If things do not work out for you at your next appointment, get another one. You might even want to complain to the people in charge of the medical facility you go to about the bad experience. Your therapist should be able to help you find another doctor, not make you keep the one that made you cry.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not a good 'bedside manner' at all. If it were me, I'd tell her to her face how I felt about her after the first session. She's being a jerk, shrink or not, she's just being an unfeeling jerk.

I hope the next one is better. I'm truly blessed with my shrink. He's also an expert in addiction. He's kind and thoughtful and treats me with respect. I dread the day he retires...
Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can understand your anger and frustration.
I gree - give her one more chance and if it doesn't seem like good fit, TELL HER.

She needs to know why she sucks...so she doesn't continue to do it to the million next patient.
(((hugs))))
Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
I can understand your anger and frustration. I gree - give her one more chance and if it doesn't seem like good fit, TELL HER. She needs to know why she sucks...so she doesn't continue to do it to the million next patient. (((hugs))))
She's technically a resident. Does that mean she's fresh outta med school? I have no idea. All I know is I miss my old psychiatrist. :-( She was basically the head of the mood and anxiety section of the hospital. She was the best!

At least I still have my amazing therapist!