Notices

Extremely lost

Old 04-23-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extremely lost

Hi, I'm 14 days off booze and 8 years off hard drugs. I'm having a really hard time with the confusion of my own families addictions and having an extremely hard time picking myself up and getting motivated. I hate myself still and am extremely sad. I'm doing well staying sober and feeling good about it, but ever so down on myself. I'm having a hard time motivating myself to do the things that are being suggested to me on this site. I just sit on the couch and wait till work, come home sleep and do the same. I can't find even a speck of happiness anywhere out there. I'm not gonna use this sadness to make an excuse to give up. I'm really struggling and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm young, 28 years old, I Shouldent be this down and out already.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

After 14 days your feelings are typical of many. Look for things to do and force yourself to do them. Exercise and a good diet at this juncture were key for me and still are. I found that I could not think myself into feeling better. I had to do things and my thinking and mood got better. We just no longer have an "immediate" mood changer.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey there. I'm 25 and today is my day 57 sober. And I feel like ****. And I don't know why. And I totally know what you mean about remaining on the couch. I've spent so much of my life doing that, as a drug user, drug abuser, alcohol user, abuser and alcoholic. I think a big thing that helps me is being on an antidepressant. It at least gives me a stable mood so I can get off the couch for the most part. The only other things that help are the exercise and healthy eating. And I know those are the hardest things. Do you have someone close to you that could help you? This time I quit drinking the only thing that's helping me is exercise... I guess it's become a substitute. But the only reason I get to the gym is because my sister comes with me every time. And was very helpful to get me eating better. I wish you the best of luck. And I'm so willing to chat further if you want.

Also I just reread your post. I'm also struggling to deal with my family's addictions. I guess our addictions are rooted on so many levels... All we can do is our best to make ourselves healthy.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with healthy foods and exercise.

I'd add to find some support outside your family. Even if you don't agree 100% with AA, the meetings are a great way to get you out of your own head, off the couch, and meeting others in recovery who are making their own lives better.

Even AlAnon would be good for you, you are living with alcoholics in your family, if I remember correctly. Have you looked around in the Friends and Family forum here? Great info and support.

There are other recovery groups too, Lifering and others.

Being around people who are working the solution rather than the problem is really important to me. I can't "get" this just online. I need F2F interactions with others who have been there.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It may sound trite, but I hope that everyone who is presently struggling finds and stays with a solution which works.

It took a while to find what I needed, but I have stuck with it and I wouldn't trade my life for anyone else's.

The early days were quite tough, and some of the later days have been that way also.

But nothing is as tough as what I experienced on a daily basis when I was self-medicating with alcohol.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SoberCAH - I so agree with you that nothing is as tough as self-medicating with alcohol. The hangovers, the shame, the pain you physically inflict to cover up emotional pain...
I just keep walking... and talking... and being grateful for everything positive in my life.
And I hope, SolitaryThinker, that you can find something that helps.
Do you read? I got some biographies written by recovering alcoholics I thougth might help me... Haven't gotten very far in them yet.
What about writing? Maybe you can just write blogs on here?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SoberThinker - you have been given great advice by the others.. Before your addiction, did you have a hobby? Maybe getting out of the house and doing something you have not done in a while will help. I enjoy walking my 3 dogs. I love to read, and I'm even going to a pro baseball game in June. what about camping? Anyway, since the summer is almost here there are lots of things to do outside...
Old 05-31-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink

Dear ST

The hardest part is...changing. Changing takes a long time. I know very well how you feel. I quit heroin and moved onto drugstore dope started drinking er well drank more quit that a year and ten months ago smoked weed every ten minutes and quit that two months ago. This "lifestyle" has eaten up two thirds of my life and spit out my health my "career" and all family relationships not to mention any self respect I may have had.
Having spent decades on the couch or lying in bed I will say you must give yourself a huge break. Of course you feel bad!
You will feel bad for a while. Please be nice to yourself you've done SO much allready you just don't know it yet.
Good work and don't give up time seems to drag horribly and your mind goes to some real dark places cause its in a panic without the substances it is used to.
Try to be patient things change slowly and in ways you never would have imagined. Ice melts slowly and flowers need time to bloom.

Artful
Old 05-31-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey everyone let me catch up on this thread, thank you everyone so so much, I'm having a hard time enjoying life...I'm over 2 months sober now tho which is good
Old 06-02-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,

Congrats on the two months!

Have you tried fishing?