Notices

bipolar: medication and alcohol

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bipolar: medication and alcohol

I have bipolar II. I was recently (and for the hundredth time) told that the reason my medication isn't working properly is that I am abusing alcohol to the extent where the medications aren't able to work any more. So I need to battle the alcohol before I can expect to feel much better... but meanwhile, I am still dealing with the mood swings. Has anybody else experienced this? Any advice, or just want to share your story?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My only advice is to talk to your doctor.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The medication was causing my alcohol cravings. Lots of people on the net are reporting this,

DavidHealy.org | Out of my mind. Driven to drink
Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Hi. dollpart.

I am a bipolar alcoholic. I have experience with drinking whilst on meds. I also have experience in being sober on meds.
Life is a lot better, for me, without the alcohol.
We are all different, but maybe those people who told you a hundred times to stop abusing alcohol were right about you.
I'm almost certain that they had your best interests at heart.

Why not give sobriety a try? You can always go back to booze; so can I.
Today, I choose not to.

Others who know you and probably have the medical knowledge to back up any advice that they give, have told you to deal with it.
I can't tell you that do that. I'm not a doctor and I don't know you. So, I'll not say it for the hundredth-plus-one time . . .

But, think about it.

Last edited by dox; 04-08-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks dox, that was a really helpful comment. i think you're right/ everyone else is right about me, I just need to find a way of dealing with that. Do you find your meds work better without the booze? I have been nearly-sober for about 2 weeks (3 slip-ups). And it's not helping *yet* but I can only hope it will...
Old 04-12-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Everything, absolutely everything, works better without the booze.

I honestly don't remember if the meds were working when I was drinking, because I was a daily drinker. I always had a foggy mind. My moods ware masked and muddled.
Today I am on Lithium. I still get highs and lows. It's just that the dangerous peaks and troughs have been removed. I Can live with that. Life is actually enjoyable most days.

But, I couldn't have put down the booze without the help of Alcoholics Anonymous.
They not only saved my life, but taught me how to live life without alcohol.

No regrets
Old 04-12-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going to my first meeting on Monday.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I finally got help for my bipolar and started taking meds, I quit drinking. I knew that drinking was causing me to become more depressed and/or manic while I was under the influence. I think I probably would have ended up in the hospital if I'd continued drinking while on meds. The interactions can be very serious and screw with our brain chemistry permanently. I was tired of being miserable and I will admit it's been (and always will be) a lifelong struggle to maintain a sense of balance. Quitting drinking was one of the best things I've ever done for my mental health.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

How was it for you dollpart? Your first meeting, I mean.

I don't remember much from my first meeting. I was in a bit of a dazed condition.

Wasn't sure about AA at first. But, I was desperate and saw it as a lifeline.

Still a member of AA after 9 years and going strong -- one day at a time.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is a lot of talk about 'self-medicating', but the research doesn't bear that out. For some reason, people with some mental health issues also have substance abuse issues. It doesn't mean that one causes the other.

I have felt overwhelmed realizing, later in life, that I have two major problems: mental health and substance abuse.

The first one to deal with is substance abuse. You need to stop drinking. Then deal with the other one.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dox View Post
How was it for you dollpart? Your first meeting, I mean.

I don't remember much from my first meeting. I was in a bit of a dazed condition.

Wasn't sure about AA at first. But, I was desperate and saw it as a lifeline.

Still a member of AA after 9 years and going strong -- one day at a time.
It went really well. I've written about it on my other post (think it's called "First Meeting" in Alcoholism). It felt weird, and it's the first time I've ever said the extent of my problem out loud... but it was good.

Sounds like you find it helpful?
Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spryte View Post
There is a lot of talk about 'self-medicating', but the research doesn't bear that out. For some reason, people with some mental health issues also have substance abuse issues. It doesn't mean that one causes the other.

I have felt overwhelmed realizing, later in life, that I have two major problems: mental health and substance abuse.

The first one to deal with is substance abuse. You need to stop drinking. Then deal with the other one.
Thanks. (Sorry, I know I clicked "thanks" but also wanted to say it). You're right.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
When I finally got help for my bipolar and started taking meds, I quit drinking. I knew that drinking was causing me to become more depressed and/or manic while I was under the influence. I think I probably would have ended up in the hospital if I'd continued drinking while on meds. The interactions can be very serious and screw with our brain chemistry permanently. I was tired of being miserable and I will admit it's been (and always will be) a lifelong struggle to maintain a sense of balance. Quitting drinking was one of the best things I've ever done for my mental health.
Thanks for this- it's inspiring to hear your story and how you've overcome drinking. I'm gonna try.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Writing about my first meeting is here, I wrote it as a diary entry initially:

This evening I took a huge step. I went to my first Alcoholic’s Anonymous meeting. Beforehand, I had a lime and soda in a pub in town, because I had time to kill. I sat there inhaling the atmosphere, longing for a half a lager and lime. Just a half but-

but it never is just half, is it?

I was invited back by some people I just met, for a “proper drink” after the “thing” I had to do (“I could tell you what it is but… I’d have to kill you,” I said. “I’ll be back.”)

At half past six I went to the back of a church, asked if this was the meeting, and stepped inside.

It was a candle-light meeting, all the lights out and just candles sprinkling the table. It made it easier to hear others’ stories and eventually, to tell a little bit of mine. The whole time I was thinking about that pint waiting for me. I heard other peoples’ stories and bit my lip for wanting to cry. I could recognise myself, and also see the differences- because every person is different, aren’t they?

I wasn’t going to say anything. I wanted to say something. I couldn’t say anything. Could I?

Shaking leafishly, I spoke.

“Hi, I’m Becky. i’manalkolik.”

“Hi Becky.”

I wanted to swallow my tongue. I wanted to walk out. I wanted to be sick. I started shaking. I spoke.

“I’ve been sat here thinking I’m not an alcoholic, I want to go for a pint. But… I dunno, it’s weird. Well, a few weeks ago- I have bipolar- I was high, and I got given sleeping pills to help. But instead of taking the pills, I took a bottle of wine and all my meds and I jumped out a window. And that’s how I broke my ankle. And that’s why I’m on crutches. I guess I’m lucky to still be here. So, I’m glad I’m here… and thank you, all, for being here too.”

“Thanks, Becky.”

There’s a book I read as a child: “And That’s How I Got My Bad Knee.” A little girl has hurt her knee and makes up all kinds of stories about it: she fought a crocodile, she was attacked by a bear… and then she gets home, and her mum asks what happened. And she says, “I fell off a swing and I hurt my knee,” and she starts to cry. All the bravado stripped, and she just wants a hug.

The ankle was my bad knee. The alcohol was my swing. I needed a hug. I got the hug in the form of support, kindness, and a lift home with another bipolar sufferer, who knew all too well what the alcohol can do to you.

I’ve done it.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
Sounds like you find it helpful?
More helpful than I can say.

More helpful than I am even consciously aware of.

And helpful to me to help others when I can.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i have bipolar 2 also and it sucks; but taking meds and drinking on top of it just caused me to black out and do some crazy stuff.. finally got on saphris which has leveled me out. I go to lots of meetings but I still struggle a lot with depression.. these are mostly random thoughts but I just wanted to share how dangerous it got for me mixing the drugs and alcohol
Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. It is sucky but I guess it's something we learn to live with... Glad you're levelled.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

listen to your doctor