Notices

Memory Loss

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Memory Loss

Does anyone else here feel that they have short-term memory loss, problems recalling words or issues with things like typing, from their past drinking?

I don't mean memory loss from an actual bender, I mean just general everyday memory loss. I can't remember what I had for lunch at the end of the day. I forget friend's names. I'm only 45. This seems to have gradually happened over the last 2 years.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe it will come back jade123, give it some time , your body needs to heal. I did too.

If after several months sober u r still having problems you may want to go get it checked out with a doctor.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. I had memory loss when I first sobered up. (Also was starting to have more and more memory problems when I was drinking.)

Right after I quit drinking was the worst though. I can remember being in the shower and not being able to remember whether or not I had already used the shampoo or whatever just a moment before. Or I was driving once in the early days after quitting drinking and all of the sudden, I couldn't remember what road I was on.

That improved a lot within a month or so after quitting drinking. (And quitting smoking weed has improved it a bit, too.)

How long have you been quit for?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Six days. So... yeah. Thanks for the replies. My memory has gotten so bad it's a little scary. And I have trouble putting a sentence together. I can't find the right word half the time. People at work have totally noticed the decline in the last year or so.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had memory issues the first 2 months or so. Im at 113 days sober and it has returned to normal. I came off a 6 month relapse and I was fairly deep in the bottle so it took me longer then I had expected.
I think everyone is different. It is good to keep an open dialog with your Dr. In my case my Dr is very young maybe only 5 of so years older then me (I am 30), so it has been a learning experience for him as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You might check out this article. It really helped me to understand what I was facing during the initial months after quitting and it also explains some things you can do to make it better. Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?

I really did find that eating healthy, drinking lots of water and getting in some exercise helped with things.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOVE your evolution avatar.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jade123 View Post
LOVE your evolution avatar.
Thanks, me too.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Enjoying Recovery

I got that for the first week this time. I was stood on the side of the road for about 5 minutes trying to remember how to get to my friend's house, a route I've walked probably a hundred times.

Congrats on day 6. Stay strong.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did a search and this post popped up. I am concerned as it has been a year off Ativan and I used to binge on alcohol a lot. Lately I am having a hard time remembering what I ate like you said, if I called someone and what day it is. I really hope this gets better. Good luck to you!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have occasional lapses, simple things like what word was I going to use, what was I about to pick up.

you might want to discuss it with your doctor though if it's concerning you, can't hurt.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I have occasional lapses, simple things like what word was I going to use, what was I about to pick up. you might want to discuss it with your doctor though if it's concerning you, can't hurt.
I'm 49, almost 2 years sober now and have also noticed a slight decline in verbal/writing ability. I think a combination of age and anxiety are in play here in my case. I am constantly thinking about things that have nothing to do with the present moment. This in turn makes it hard sometimes to articulate something spontaneously. I've found mindfulness meditation helpful for staying in the moment and clearing out racing thoughts. Just wish I had the discipline to stick with it. (:. Also, a good night's sleep does wonders for my cognitive ability.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I too have had memory problems due to what I believe was my drinking. I couldn't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, or certain things I have told people. I hope that it gets better in time, and from what I've been told, it will.