Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Zoloft withdrawal symptoms, how long will this last

Notices

Zoloft withdrawal symptoms, how long will this last

Old 07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Zoloft withdrawal symptoms, how long will this last

Hello, I have started taking this zoloft for a few months at 100mgs and the withdrawal syndrome is realy bugged out and screwing me up. I started taking this zoloft in rehab for the anxiety I was feeling from quitting alcohol and it kind of worked I guess but its not as much fun to be with my girl friend on this stuff the way it effects me . I quit two days ago and today I am feeling absolutely terrible. My head is sort of burnt out and tingly-zappy at the same time. I am also very agitated and feel almost feverish. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has come off this stuff and can let me know what they have done to ease the withdrawal symptoms and also, how long they last.?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You shouldNOT be stopping Zoloft without doctors approval.
Please call the prescribing doctor and tell him/her. They will probably taper you
Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Doc never took this stuff how would she know ? and should have told me this would/could happen before giving it to me so mabey I wouldent have started taking it. This is not as bad as quitting the booze that also doesnt have any warning labels about causing dependence withdrawal... The label on the beer sais "may cause health problems" why dont they define that ?
Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The most important thing now is getting help I think - attaching blame and holding resentments is understandable, but it is not really going to help you James.

If you feel you can't work with your current Dr can you find one you can work with?

D
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've taken Zoloft for a decade, 100 mg daily. It is not a drug you should just stop taking, it must be tapered. Talk to your doctor. I take it for depression. Sometimes I feel guilty and think I should go off it, but my doctor says it's no different for me thatn insulin is for a diabetic. I would like to reduce the amount, but am focused on my recovery now, and will not add that to my plate.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a reason for the warning on all antidepressants (that I know of) not to stop taking the drug abruptly. It should be done under a doctor's supervision with monitored tapering.

I've been on many antidepressants over the years, and would never stop taking a medication cold turkey.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I have been on and off zoloft for years, and every time I taper (every other day) besides the side affect I believe you were getting at, Zo also caused me to yawn all the time, be tired, be waaay too goofy and also it caused me to act out aggressively. I really noticed this the last time and I have quit it for good.

If you still have some, try to taper and talk to your doctor.

Lily
Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily View Post
side affect I believe you were getting at...
Yep, almost a total shut down of my "male abilitys" on this "zol-soft" so I am going to stay quit. Ill be O.k , I just googled "zoloft withdrawal death" just to make sure thats not going to happen and it wont.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't feel all that bugged out anymore, I was afraid the withdrawal would feel like quitting the drink... rising up to major anxiety cant sleep at all... like after drinking all day every day for a long time and doing a cold turkey, never again. Im alright.

Warning: Consumption of this beverage can ruin you life...

Last edited by James007; 07-14-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

James,

I just saw this thread. I have never been on zoloft, but have been on other meds in that "family" and have had to quit them, withdrawals from hell.

they are not "addictive" but that doesn't mean our bodies don't get dependent on them to a degree. Going cold turkey is rough rough stuff. Back when I was taking and quitting them, there wasn't much experience or info on withdrawal and the docs said I was silly...but I met reams of folks online who knew what I'd been through. Now the docs seem to pay more attention.

Many meds should not be stopped cold turkey, and even if your doc has not taken the med herself, she may well have experience with others who have and their withdrawal stories. She could still be an excellent resource for information. Plus your sharing your experience helps her help the next person.

Those drugs do a number on the sex life, no doubt. Ugh. glad that is over.

google and see if you can find out what the "half life" of this med is. That has an effect on how long the withdrawals are likely to last.

With prozac, the half life was long, so I didn't get a reaction as soon as I missed a dose, but when stopping, the withdrawals took a LONG time.

Paxil, I'd get sick within 8 hours of a missed dose and the withdrawals were hell, but lasted only a fraction of the time the prozac one's did.

good thing was, once the bad was over, it was over. and I never ever craved the meds again.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Me too...I've been on zoloft since 1990-something. I tried to taper off myself, and it wasn't pretty. You might need to stay on it or lower the dose. TALK TO YOUR DR. I learned the hard way..thinking I had my own remedy. Don't do it
Old 07-15-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
I guess it depends on the person, and how much they need it. I have resolved that I will be on zo until I die. Everytime I think "I don't need this crutch anymore", I find that I am in a hell hole. Since zoloft doesn't have bad affects on the liver, I stick with it. Dr wanted to change me to a newer drug, but I didn't like the warnings. I guess Im', half in and half out. I know you aren't supposed to give medical advice here, but PLEASE...don't trust dr's 100%. Do your research, and question them if what they prescribe doesn't sound good. I lost my best friend to alcoho, and while I truely believe it was enevitable in one way, I know she wasn't honest with her doctors, and that they may have prescribed some stuff that was bad on the liver. Lost my best girlfriend...I mis having a shoulder to cry on
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know in A.A im not supposed to have resentments and look for my part in things... But I know right from wrong.

Right: You can try this zoloft but I has been Known to cause dependence , produce nasty witdrawal reactions, sexual dysfuction ... never told

Wrong: You can try this zoloft Its an antidepressant , but also can help with anxiety and its not a drug that can be abused. Thats all I got.

It feels good to vent !!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

James I DO hear you but...even though we go to the Dr for professional help, it is still our responsibility to get as informed as possible about our treatment, meds and treatment options.

We can and should ask the dr what the risks, side effects, drug interactions and dependecy issues are for any meds we are Rx'd. We can look the meds up online, and every time I get an Rx an info sheet with all that information is included. If I don't read it, it's my bad.

I have talked to my Dr about different meds, which side effects I can or cannot tolerate. Whether or not a specific side effect is likely to subside in time, etc. And I've rejected or changed meds due to those reasons.

Venting is healthy, but it's also good to follow up with getting information and making sound choices for myself.

I used to be the pro at blaming everyone but myself for not taking care of me.

But seriously, sexual dysfunction due to meds was WAY more depressing than what I was dealing with in the first place. I mean dang, why put me on a med that takes away one of the best things in life?!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
James I DO hear you but...even though we go to the Dr for professional help, it is still our responsibility to get as informed as possible about our treatment, meds and treatment options.

But seriously, sexual dysfunction due to meds was WAY more depressing than what I was dealing with in the first place. I mean dang, why put me on a med that takes away one of the best things in life?!

It is there responsibility to inform us, Its actualy called "INFORMED CONSENT TO TREATMENT" there was a big post on this in anouther site/forum by someone doing the withdrawal thing. When I goto buy a used car I have to look out for myself, ask questions... an almost ME vs THEM situation, but a doctor BY LAW has to tell me everything. Lets see If I can find a link to this INFORMED CONSENT PSYCHIATRIC thing.

Here is an example,:
http://www.sfdph.org/dph/files/CBHSP...-062004rev.pdf

"This medication may have these side effects you are not going to like and you can't just stop taking it without possible withdrawal reactions that hurt"

By law I was supposed to be told this !!! Its not my job to "protect myself" from doctors. Sorry to contradict your post when you are on my side but
Old 07-21-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Reading two very interesting books: "Mad in American," and "Anatomy of an Epidemic."

Two solid pieces of medical journalism on the efficacy of antidepressants and a host of other psychiatric drugs. An eye opener for me. Mad In America is also the name of a website of like-minded physicians and medical scholars who are questioning the entire paradigm of psychiatric medication. Check it out.

I tapered over a few months from 200 mg of Zoloft to zip. Anxiety and aggravation were the prevailing symptoms. Didn't have the brain zaps.

I have been on every antidepressant known to man for 22 years. I'm still tapering a very old-school antidepressant, trimipramine, and hope to be off it in a few months.

Oh. I feel less depressed now that I am off the Zoloft. Hard to tell if it's just maturing in sobriety (two years Oct. 15) or getting off the drugs.

Tread carefully, folks, and please do a taper with the consultation of a doctor.

And I think the "insulin" analogy is a bunch of bunk uttered by physicians and shrinks that make a living on writing prescriptions for psych meds. It's a good way to ensure repeat customers. And I would have ripped someone's jugular out if they had told me that a year ago. WTF?