Notices

Bi-Polar II Disorder wonderings...

Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bi-Polar II Disorder wonderings...

I've been recently diagnosed with Bi-polar 2 and have started meds. Mood stabilizer and opiate blocker. They helped right away, but my stress level has been really high this past weekend, (dealing with alcoholic in-laws), is it possible that the stress can overpower the mood stabilizer no matter how many milligrams I'm taking? .

17months 2 weeks sober and I choose today to be a sober day for me. Feeling blessed for that!!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Hi. Congrats on your sober time.

I also am a recovering alcoholic with the diagnosis of bipolar type II.

It has been my experience that I am more susceptible to stress because of my bipolar disorder. When I experience stress I am more likely to cycle. I have learned over the years to do what I can to manage my stress levels and keep them as low as possible, which of course at times is nearly impossible. But things like meditation, breathing techniques, and yoga have been very helpful for me. I also combine therapy with medication as it has been my experience that combining the two gives me the best results. My bipolar disorder has been considerably more stable since I have been using this approach.

I look at my alcoholism as one disease that I treat with Alcoholics Anonymous and my bipolar disorder which I treat with therapy and medications.

One of the most information and down to earth books about bipolar disorder that I have found is called "The Bipolar Handbook" by Wes Burgess, MD., PhD. I would highly recommend the book. It is written in a question and answer format with real questions from real patients and family members answered by the doctor.