Notices

Jobs for people with ADD/ADHD

Old 10-16-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jobs for people with ADD/ADHD

Being someone who has ADHD means that a typical 9-5 desk job is not in my future. However a job where I would be active could be a way for me to actually use my ADHD to my advantage. Or a job where I could maybe be creative and not have to try and fit into traditional job thinking. Anyone have any suggestions on what jobs are a good fit for people with ADHD? Anyone know from past experiences or from someone close to you who does the same thing? I moved out here a few months ago to change my life, and so far I am making progress. Not just with the drinking but also in other areas. I am looking to start a new career path and just want to make sure I explore all my options.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a lay person but from personal observation many people I've dealt with or known with what I think is ADD of somekind is a management or supervisor type position. In management you can delegate and not deal with details. You get to make a decision when you want. You literally and figuratively get to sign off on someone else's work.

Management means responsibility but I know people who function much better in supervisor type role because they have no patience for a process that takes time or includes detail. They'd rather deal with or can ignore the gravity of responsibilty and delegate.

Good Luck
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh I can chime in on this one. If you have read any of my post it should be pretty easy to tell I'm a full tilt ADD nutter. For me it's a badge of honor, and I firmly believe it's something that fuels my artistic nature. The first step is to realize you need to do things a little "differently" than other folks, but that in NO way is ADD a handicap. You just have to figure out how you can wrangle the thoughts into a constructive direction. I would go nuts being couped up in a cubicle all day. I need to see the sun, feel the extremes in temperature, and find working with my hands keeps me focused. I gave up Medschool to become a mechanic, later an autobody tech, and now I own my own general repair and light collision repair shop. You know yourself better than anyone here, do what you love, love what you do, and the ADD/HD you'll learn to use to your advantage. The busier the job the better. As my dear Irish momma likes to say "Idle hands are the devils play things" man was that ever true for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good thread! I have ADD as well and I'm still looking for a career that suits me well. I don't have many suggestions right now but all I know is that I work well if my mind is stimulated and if I'm completely overloaded with work. Otherwise I get bored and easily distracted. I try to make due with what I have now, but I think I'll need to go back to school for something else. I hope someone around here can give you some good ideas.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have severe ADD and I chose computer science. I ended up landing my first job as the IT director for a large state run nursing home organization. Needless to say at 24, and my first IT job, it was an insane learning curve.

This has been a double edged sword for me in that, I excel at work, however, due to the nature of the position there is always more to be done. This in turn leads me to taking a lot of that stress home, which is not fun, and creates a lot more anxiety than I like whenever I'm trying to relax.

At one point I started to actually get stressed out more when I was away from work, over-thinking things that were not even problems yet.

In the end, after getting some therapy and medication, I have learned to still do well at work, and am able to somewhat relax when away from it. I do sometimes have to actually take a step back and just... be mindful that I have to breath and just... let some things go. Otherwise the stress can consume me. (of course there is the option of just constantly working, but hey... it's salary lol)
Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please keep this thread going, folks!

I don't have ADD, but my 11 year old daughter does. I need to hear from some adults on how they incorporate this into their lives. Although her ADD does cause us a lot of frustration, I have never looked at it as a disability. I tell her that my hope for her is that she will learn that it is just a different way of processing information. My private hope is that she will find something in her life as she gets older that will allow her to harness all that energy and quirky behaviors into something fullfulling.

I would love to hear more. Please keep posting!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

People with ADHD can be more creative, intuitive, flexible and warmhearted than other people.

Use those characteristics to your advantage! I do.

I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult. It's pretty obvious to me now that it affected me at a child as well. I went on meds that really helped me (with concentration). I was on them for well over a year but recently went off because of a pregnancy. My boss even said he noticed a difference in me.

I would suggest that if your (possible) ADHD is affecting you to the point you have a difficult time performing at your job ..... get to the doc!!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleSquirrel View Post
Please keep this thread going, folks!

I don't have ADD, but my 11 year old daughter does. I need to hear from some adults on how they incorporate this into their lives. Although her ADD does cause us a lot of frustration, I have never looked at it as a disability. I tell her that my hope for her is that she will learn that it is just a different way of processing information. My private hope is that she will find something in her life as she gets older that will allow her to harness all that energy and quirky behaviors into something fullfulling.

I would love to hear more. Please keep posting!!!
The way that ADD has been a benefit to me (and harmed) is in that I become obsessed with the things that I enjoy and can focus a tremendous amount of time and effort into them.

For instance... video games... I found computer gaming when I was in the 8th grade and built my first computer shortly after. I could spend hours and hours and hours researching computer specs and stuff, because it was something I enjoyed. No amount of frustration could ever stop me from reaching my goals in that area. I then joined the technology student association, and got a scholarship to university for Computer Science. GREAT - (note I began taking medication in 6th grade, discontinued at 10th grade, and did not start again until after university)

The Bad -
If it's a topic that doesn't click with me or interest me... forget it. I'll either get insanely pissed off in trying to learn it or just start day dreaming and that will inhibit my learning even further. Tests for me are either an easy A or a very frustating F. Relationships with girls are extremely frustrating because I'm either extremely happy/hyper/and a little obnoxious, or very bummed out/depressed/anxious... those are like my only two modes of operation. Being unable to control this led (partially) to me drinking in excess, which I am currently abstaining from.

Medication, exercise (huuuuuugely helpful in spending some of that built up energy), a very understanding partner, and being mindful that I'm anxious and high strung for no apparent outside reason are keys to me keeping a somewhat level head lol.

The last part of that statement was not something I ever did as a child/young adult.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Entrepreneurship.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The people I know with ADHD would have a very hard time with entrepreneurship because they have a very hard time with follow through, completion, organizing themselves at all. Everyone is different of course. I know my son has other LD's and I suspect the other two of LD's but they were never diagnosed. That adds something because the LD's cause problems with executive functions.

Cooking worked very well for one. He excelled at that. Lots of action and creativity in the right positions. Generally you are not working alone. A good kitchen has structure etc. built in. He worked constuction before that and also really liked that - again lots of structure. Creativity within a framework of structure, clear tasks and clear endings. He had some of the hyperness so a desk job would not have been a good fit. The other person I know well excelled at positions with outdoor work, working with nature and creatures There was some data management and chemistry stuff but it was not the bulk of the work. It was less people oriented and not as fast paced - which was exactly the right fit for him. He did not have the hyperness and frantic or fast paced activity did not work well for him. Desk job's were not good - no way could he maitain that level of focus under those dull conditions.

I also have one son that is diagnosed ADHD. He's very mellow. Very hard to motivate. He has many many wonderful qualities that he's been blessed with too of course.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Corporate Trainer. Creating and delivering training is perfect. There is so much creativity used in the creation of it and the forward moving energy of delivering it kept me stimulated. I moved them always in the direction toward completion, and was so gratifying to get there. I had a set time frame and place to be. It was like ready, set, go! And it uses up every little bit of energy, you go home and collapse and sleep deeply...
Old 11-07-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good one! I bet you are a great trainer. I have been to trainings where the trainer was very dynamic, very high energy, lots of info provided and covered in creative ways, and I always think to myself - "Now there is someone that is working that ADHD." They almost always have some quiet person with them carrying nicely organized materials and handouts, which they never go near.

Identify your strengths, acknowledge your needs. My son has other LD's but is quite smart and I sometimes tell him - almost anything is within your reach if you want it badly enough - just have a good secretary, lol.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Personally, I need to be active. Sitting at a desk reading files and filling out forms would be just torcher. I think it would be the case for most people with ADHD. People who have ADHD, their brain activity moves faster than normal, so those "boring" jobs would be tough I would think.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, I work with animals...they keep me active!! I can't sit still for long! so this job is a perfect fit!!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not again

I agree/like prog27's post.

Seems to be some disparity or misunderstanding. A.D.D. does not equate to multi-tasking and would probably compound the problems. Interest is the strongest ally in the struggle. I hate meds and so do not persue that path, but I love coffee and this seems to be of benefit (caffeine). My drug of choice was weed and my drug of chaos was crack. I initially refered to the crack high as putting the blinders on because of the intense focus and concentration...on the tree-police, but hey, it was a relief to lock in on something.
Any way, practice and motivation. There is a solution for every problem, how much are you willing to work for it?

Larry
Old 10-24-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Teaching is perfect!

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
Corporate Trainer. Creating and delivering training is perfect. There is so much creativity used in the creation of it and the forward moving energy of delivering it kept me stimulated. I moved them always in the direction toward completion, and was so gratifying to get there. I had a set time frame and place to be. It was like ready, set, go! And it uses up every little bit of energy, you go home and collapse and sleep deeply...
I also was an employee trainer! Great fit for ADHD.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Great question!

From my personal experience, I need a job that keeps pulling my attention back and keeps my focus from wandering. I wasn't diagnosed until my kids were (my late 20's). I was filling out the questionnaire for my daughter, and it suddenly occurred to me that 3/4 of the stuff on the list could also apply to me. LOL

So, in college and directly after I held down several jobs that were clerical in nature and situated in an office. I always did fine in the beginning, while I was learning the job, but once I mastered it I became bored and eventually quit. I began to notice that the Reception jobs held my interest longer, because I never knew what the people walking through the door were going to want from me. If a job was mostly word processing, I hated it. If I was answering the phone alot, I liked it better.

Fast forward to after I had my kids and had been a SAHM for five years. My dh had lost his job, and we made a deal with each other that the first one to find a job would take it and go back to work. Well, I was the first, and started working as a County Telephone Operator located inside the county hospital. Within two weeks I knew I had found the perfect job for me. Not only did it have variety - I never knew who was going to call me or what they would need. EVERYTHING went through our switchboard: Calls for the Sheriff, Jail, Hospital, Courts and County Offices, CPS, AAS, Hospital Emergency Codes (Blue, Red, Pink, Black, etc.), On-Call Doctors, pages, etc. I LOVED it! I never got bored. I was with them for seven years before moving to South Florida where I now have the same job working at a local hospital. So, even though it's a sit-down job, it does have enough stimulation to keep me on track.

I think making sure the job has some element that is going to interest us is the key to an ADHDer having success.

HTH!

Linda
Old 10-16-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ADHD also has a very good aspect--hyperfocus. This can be a good trait in any sort of job, just a question of personal fit. We only tend to hyperfocus on things we find interesting, but we can be the kings of tedious tasks as a result.

I had an office job for a while and I balanced my high energy by bicycling to work and taking a walk at lunch, leg stretching at breaks. I tried a shop thinking the energy spending would good for me, but turns out the disorder was too much for me to handle.

I'd suggest keeping an open mind and paying attention to what you tend to hyperfocus on. Sedentary jobs can be dealt with by being creative, but hey maybe there's a physical job out there that is just perfect too. I did enjoy scaffolding for a while, as it was physical to an extent that I'd actually be tired in the evening. That takes a lot usually.

Good luck!