Notices

coming off meds (schizo)

Old 09-29-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coming off meds (schizo)

I have suffered serious psychosis in the past and one med or another has always pulled me out of it... I have been mentally OK for over 1 year now on meds.
3 days ago I just stopped taking Abilify 15mg cold turkey without asking a psychiatrist.

I know this is reckless but I want to see if I don't need meds anymore and I will get back on them the moment I start to get any signs I'm cracking up...

One thing I noticed yesterday whilst listening to Led Zeppelin Immigrant song was that I got this amazing euphoria and feeling my heart totally blow up with delight....it was great.

I've just got to keep an eye on things and not let them get out of hand or it's a mental ward for me.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I know you already said it was reckless but I feel it is important to reiterate that it is dangerous to come off any meds especially psychiatric meds cold turkey without consulting a doctor.

I do hope you are able to do well without medications. Not to put a damper on things but from your post it sounds as though your past history indicates that medications might be something that keep you stable. Reading that I have to wonder why you would want to suddenly stop taking them?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've tried going off my meds in the past and usually I start feeling wonderful and then a little too wonderful followed by agitation and then I discover that what goes up must come down. Depression is too painful to mess with. Since you say you have a history of psychosis I would recommend not staying off your meds very long. Your pdoc has probably explained how meds take time to get into your system and be effective.

It's been several years since I tried stopping my meds but I did it more than once. I hope you have better luck than I did. That euphoric feeling or mania feels great but for me it didn't last long.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm back on the Abilify. Reason being fear of going nuts again and I've been having a bit paranoia unusual thoughts leading up to and after coming off the medicine.

My theory is that Abilify is not that effective for me in the first place which lead me to want to stop taking it.( I've only been on Abilify for about 1 month anyway switching from Risperidone).

So I may need to switch back to Risperidone which unfortunately kills my sex drive (not that I'm getting any), can't ejaculate properly on it and have no interest in listening to music which is my favorite thing....

F*** it