Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Neuroscience has shown that whatever you focus on shapes your brain...

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

“Neuroscience has shown that whatever you focus on shapes your brain. If you’re constantly thinking negative thoughts about yourself that neural pathway becomes stronger—and those thoughts become habitual,”. “Imagine a concert pianist. His or her brain would have stronger neural pathways that support musicality and dexterity than someone who hadn’t spent their life practicing.”
Old 08-07-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's why my brain was shaped like a bottle for so many years.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

What is the source for your post? I would be interested in reading the whole article rather than an except from it.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's quoted here

How 97 per cent of women have at least one 'I hate my body' moment every day | Mail Online

D
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

searched Google "why does my brain feed on negativity"

How Conscious Attention Effects Positive Change in the Brain, Part 1 | Neuroscience and Relationships

Shocking Body-Image News: 97% of Women Will Be Cruel to Their Bodies Today: Health & Fitness: glamour.com
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe that one must be careful and realize that treatments for mild depression compared to major depression are different and studies have proved that as well. What the OP's article is referring to is mild depression. Here is are some articles that backs up what I am saying: Depression Research - Psych Central
There are many things that may help depression but nothing has been proven to cure severe, recurrent or psychotic depression.
Research on children and adolescents with depression supports CBT as a useful initial treatment, but antidepressant medication is indicated for those with severe, recurrent, or psychotic depression. Studies of adults have shown that while psychotherapy alone is rarely sufficient to treat moderate to severe depression, it may provide additional relief in combination with antidepressant medication. In one recent NIMH-funded study, older adults with recurrent major depression who received IPT in combination with an antidepressant medication during a three-year period were much less likely to experience a recurrence of illness than those who received medication only or therapy only. For mild depression, however, a recent analysis of multiple studies indicated that combination treatment is not significantly more effective than CBT or IPT alone.
This article suggests that music therapy helps with depression. But key to remember is that it does not cure it: Music Therapy Aids In Depression Treatment | Psych Central News
In the final analysis, researchers discovered that after three months of participation, individuals who received music therapy demonstrated significantly fewer symptoms of depression and anxiety, and scored better on general functioning.

Although improvements still remained after six months, the difference between the groups was no longer statistically significant.
A reminder for those thinking about discontinuing their medications because of the OP's article. Antidepressant Medications | Psych Central
Never discontinue medication without talking to the doctor about it. For those who have had several bouts of depression, long-term treatment with medication is the most effective means of preventing more episodes.
There are many different types of depression. The treatments differ as they should for each type of depression. The OP's article does not differentiate between them or identify which type of depression the study was done on. Depression Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What are myths about depression on MedicineNet
Depressive disorders are mood disorders that come in different forms, just as do other illnesses, such as heart disease and diabetes. Three of the most common types of depressive disorders are discussed below. However, remember that within each of these types, there are variations in the number, timing, severity, and persistence of symptoms. There are also differences in how individuals experience depression based on age.
One can not discount positive thinking as an aid to depression treatment as this article states. Depression: Using positive thinking
Key points

If you have thoughts of harming yourself or others, you need to see your doctor or therapist right away. Positive thinking can help with depression. But you may also need medicine and therapy.
Negative thoughts can make depression worse or can raise your chance of having depression.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy, or CBT, is a type of therapy that can help you replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
Changing your thinking will take some time. You need to practice healthy thinking every day. After a while, positive thinking will come naturally to you.
My main point is we can not take one article and think it is the only word on the topic. There are many other points of view and studies that may contradict or clarify the article. While I believe the OP's article is valid for some types of depression, I don't believe that it addresses all types of depression or the more severe forms such as bipolar disorder. Please do not discontinue any mental health medication without consulting your doctor as this can cause seizures and other serious side effects to rapid discontinuation.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my opinion since I am not a medical professional, there is no "one size fits all" answer to depression or any other illness. In searching for relief for my depression & a possible cause for all the negative chatter I've had to endure most if not all of my life I was searching Google and ran across the portion that I posted.

I'll be more careful to add disclaimers for future posts, should I decide to share again. I thought it was a given that we all have to come to our conclusions, decisions, beliefs, etc. & hopefully with professional guidance. One or two articles is just that, one or two articles.

Not that there was a claim otherwise but there was no ill intent on my part nor did I recommend that anyone do anything regarding medication. That's strictly between health care professionals and their patients.

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
My main point is we can not take one article and think it is the only word on the topic. There are many other points of view and studies that may contradict or clarify the article. While I believe the OP's article is valid for some types of depression, I don't believe that it addresses all types of depression or the more severe forms such as bipolar disorder. Please do not discontinue any mental health medication without consulting your doctor as this can cause seizures and other serious side effects to rapid discontinuation.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yor5150 I by no means meant for it to appear that your thread and article was not relevant to the mental health community as it very much is. There are many people it will help. My only concern was for those that have forms of depression that may need medications as well throwing out their meds because of the article and finding that they are still depressed, become suicidal, or have withdrawals from those meds. As you say with any mental health concerns there is no one size all fit. I do apologize if I in anyway left you feeling your article was irrelevant as it can benefit many and I thank you for posting it. I was not trying to discount it as I do feel that it is very true in some cases of depression and can not hurt those forms of depression that also take medications. In fact one article I posted agreed positive thinking is a component of many therapies for depression combined or not combined with meds which ever the need may be for that particular type of depression. Again I apologize to anyone who felt my post discredited the OP's article as it is still relevant and important.