Notices

Tried Intervention

Old 09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tried Intervention

I posted earlier today my brother called from his shop where he works.
Tom had been going to the dollar store and buying big bottles of mouthwash and drinking it.
As I said before I just cannot pretend Tom does not exist I spent 2 years ofmy life with him.
So I went down there my brother had 3 other guys down there talking to tom.
They all like him they met him when he was sober but now he is beyond drunk. I called VA hospital the said call a ambulance but if he refused they would not take him. So we called about just having my brother and his friends
drive him to VA we were told if he refused treatment they could do nothing.
I said listen he is killing himself can you put him in the mental ward anything only if he was talking of harming himself. He has spent his last dime now he is going to go into withdrawls he has been drinking straight for a month.
My brothers friends were trying to talk to him but he refused just refused to go to the hospital. There was another vet there who talked to tom for a long time but it did no good. My poor brother is just letting him stay there in back in a old rv my brother is like I never saw anyone drink so much.
When I came up there he got angry I said listen you are killing yourself and everyone here is trying to help. I left. I give up. It seems to me that if someone is slowley killing themselfs and he is sick you can not get help the person cannot be forced into the hospital. Now if you are mentally ill they will cart you off. If you slit your wrists they will take you to the hospital but if you are posioning yourself well go ahead. I do not understand the system.
My brothers friend said I think he wants to die I said well he probley will.
I have cried and cried to see a person just destroy themselves and drinking mouthwash my God you are sick. So my hands are tied I am tired and whatever happens to tom I will have no control over.
I still think he should be able to be commited but no I am told.
I know tonight he will be alone and start getting very very sick
and this can be dangerous.
So I have tried everthing possible and whatever will be will be.
I will just keep praying
Kelli......
Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

((((Kelli))))) I don't think there is much worse than watching someone we love slowly kill themselves and there is nothing we can do about it. My thoughts and prayers go out to both you and your brother.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very sad story, I can't believe that the county crisis intervention team could not step in and involuntarily commit him. Drinking mouthwash would clearly make him a danger to himself and I would think that this should meet their criteria. I know it's very hard to sit back and watch someone you love destroy themselves.