Notices

Paxil pros/cons???

Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paxil pros/cons???

My doctor prescribed me Paxil today and after reading the pamphlet that came with it, Im worried to start taking them....the doctor is giving me Paxil mainly for severe panic attacks although I do suffer from depression.

I almost go into a panic attack thinking of the side effects from Paxil...can anyone tell me how they feel now they are taking Paxil? I do want the pro's and con's but some good stories about it would put my mind at ease...

I have heard one horror story and that has always stuck with me...

Dawn
Old 11-28-2006, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anyone?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was put on 25 mg and did very well. The only side effect was that I wasn't as hungry. When I was put on 50 mg..it was a bit too much and like a lot of anti-d it wasn't good with alcohol.

I'd like to be put back on it actually. I was happier than I'd been in a long time.

Katie
Old 11-29-2006, 12:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well thats good to hear...a pleasant experience finally...the doctor is starting me on 12.5mg and next week im going up to 25mg...thanks for your input!!

Dawn
Old 12-01-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it's been awhile for me, but...the first week, i was like a zombie. then, it kicked in and i was no longer impatient at traffic lights, was much happier, etc.
in fact, the only reason i am on prozac now and not paxil, is i have four kids and have to function at any hour of the nite. with the first week of paxil, you just can't do that.
i loved it, tho
Old 12-06-2006, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

How are u today Dawn ? Panic attacks our rough depending on the severity u may need something to go with it until it kicks in. Thinking of u!!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am still suffering with panic attacks and have yet to take a paxil...the very thought of swallowing one almost sets me off into a panic attack...I know its crazy thinking but I just cant get past that. I have this overwhelming feeling that if I take one something bad will happen. God grant me the serenity....

Dawn
Old 12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just a suggestion, but can you take it right when you go to bed? it will probably help you sleep, and you shouldn't notice any side effects that way.
it's what i used to do anyway
misti
Old 12-06-2006, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ok..I think I will try that...my hubby is going away for a week and leaving tomorrow so I think I will start taking it when he comes back...thanks for your support!!

Dawn
Old 12-07-2006, 04:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Why not try it what do u have to loss?? It may make u feel better. I don't want to push u but I am worried about u. Are u sleeping ok?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i have terrible anxiety amongst other things. in rehab, i was prescribed paxil. i evaluated the +/- and decided to take it after no doing so for the first week. its been 2 months now and i feel the best i have in many years. this of course could also be that im sober too but ill take this for a year or so and then see how i do off it. (i know coming off could be hard but after detoxing other stuff i dont care)
Old 01-31-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I was on Paxil for a few weeks and sleeping 20 hours a day...it was soooo terrible, I couldnt wake up or stay awake to save my life. My DH made me to see the doctor who switched me to Effexor...another few weeks of hell and then I stopped altogether for a couple weeks until I could see a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as OCD with some personality disorders and has flagged my chart for bi-polar..so he will watch for more signs of that in the future.

He has me on Prozac now with Riperidone. I took the first one this morning so I will see how it works in the next 6 weeks or so. I havent slept much since I have been off the Paxil/Effexor but sleeping TOO much is a nightmare also...so I am hoping to find a happy medium.

Dawn
Old 01-31-2007, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Dawn 72

Thank you for the updates and follow through on the thread. It's always good to hear what the outcome is from a situation and hopefully learn something. Thanks again Dawn for posting. Mike
Old 01-31-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your welcome..I dont post here much but this is something that has really affected me and I thought I would share my experience..I wasnt too sure if anyone really followed this thread...I hate to sound whiney...

Dawn
Old 02-04-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

SSRIs worked wonders for my anxiety and depression for the first few months. Then, I started getting tired all the time like you mentioned. I like to keep a journal tracking what I'm taking and how I feel that day. It helped me narrow down what is giving me bad side effects.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A journal is a must!! I recommend anyone starting these meds pick up a notepad when they pick up their scrip...the paxil gave me so many side effects including, sweating, more panic attacks, fatigue, lack of hunger..I had to keep track so I could tell the doctor. Thanks for brining up that point!!

Dawn
Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

has your doctor addressed any of the following:

daily exercise?
diet? (what you put in your mouth for food)
any form of "skilled relaxation" or other active stress/anxiety management tools OTHER than medication.

Last edited by margo; 02-14-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: email removed
Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too was on Paxil for a while and found the side effects were more then the actual results I was seeing, even after 3 months, but that is not to say it wont be good for you. Today I am taking Effexor and have found this med to be the best for me. My ex was on Paxil and she swore by it. When your dealing with anti anxiety and/or depression meds it takes time to find the proper med as well as the proper dose. Also, these meds often don't mix well with any alcohol or drug and these things will actually mess with your chemical levels and make things worse so be careful. My suggestion is no alcohol or drugs at all! If you are drinking or doing drugs you will not see the positive changes the med can have.Today is my 3rd day clean and sober and I can tell you I can definetley feel the difference it makes...if I had been in here last week I would have sdaid those meds are a waste of time and money but not now...I feel better already so imagine how I will feel like in a few weeks with the proper meds and no alcohol and/or drugs
Hang in there and see what happens. Also, I find more then meds this site is a great way to get over anxiety and/or derpression.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I really don't know about Paxil but I take Cipramil for anxiety and depression and two of the possible side-effects were...anxiety and depression. Most of the side effects only occur in the first few weeks and only to a minority of people. That is how I look at it anyhow.
However I was prescribed Effexor and knew immediately that the side effects were worse than not taking them. So I went back to the Cipramil.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

more info about ssri's and psychotropics in general

clearly most of you just go do the DR/MD and do whatever they say without doing any research of your own.

it takes a minimum of 2 weeks (usually a min of 4 weeks) for your body to get "used to" or uptake the new chemical. some take as long as 8 weeks. if you start taking something and then go right off it, it takes again as long to get most of these medications out of your system and out of your brain chemistry. then if you start a new med, the same things applies AGAIN.

psychotropics are NOT a magic pill. even though the pharma industry attempts to paint that picture. there is NOT a magic pill.

most of them are "designed" to bring the bottom of the depression up or lessen the anxiety to the extent that, then, you go to TALK THERAPY and deal with the actual causes and conditions of why you are depressed or anxiety ridden etc etc.

what most of you dont realize is that taking the pill is just a band aid and NOT a life long fix. unfortunately, too many of you are getting these drugs from gps and ob/gyns who really have NO clue how to prescribe. the only true MD that should be prescribing is a PSYCHOPHARMACHOLOGIST. this is a psychiatrist with SPECIALIZED training with psychotropics. get referred to one and get a FULL appointment with a FULL work up. and HAVE follow ups. do NOT rely on a gp(general practitioner or family medical dr) or obgyn to prescribe these potentially hazardous meds. k?

finally, what are you doing for DIET(what you feed your body), EXERCISE, and SKILLED RELAXATION? when you learn to CAREFULLY attend to these 3 items daily and it will be life changing...

Last edited by charltonwilson; 02-14-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: changing wording (an to a, left out words) for readibility