Notices

If You Are Feeling Suicidal

Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I can't post links as I don't have enough posts! That is such a stupid rule, I'm trying to help people here..grr!

Student Depression is UK based website that is targeted at students but is helpful for anyone with depression. (it will come up when you google it)

CBT therapy is helpful for treating depression-its scientifically proven to work. There have been a lot of studies done on it. It focuses on the here and now, not the past. It is very practical, you have to learn the techniques and then do homework ie do exercises on the theory and practice the skills in your real life.

You can do it with a book (as shown below) or with a therapist but the CBT therapist is only a guide helping you along, you have to do the work and put in the time. You definitely get out what you put into it. One of the AA slogans "it works if you work it" would also apply to CBT. It's not a magic wand, it requires practice, practice, practice but it does get easier the longer you're doing it.

Useful slogan for anyone feeling suicidal "this too shall pass"
You feel suicidal right now, like you can't take anymore. You feel overwhelmed. I understand, I've been there too. But thafeeling WILL pass, it won't last forever. You will be happy again. You might not think you will but there IS help out there...your GP (doctor) should be your first port of call. Therapy or medication and therapy should be past of your treatment plan.

I find the AA slogans really useful for depression too: "one day at a time" (when you feel overwhelmed), "first things first" (do the most important thing first, priortise, break a big task into smaller bits so you don't feel as annoyed). If you're annoyed about something, ask yourself "how important is it"

CBT book "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David M. Burns
helpful for people with depression, anxiety primarily.
Also interview skills, beating procrastination, communication skills, public speaking.
(available on amazon dot com)
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Magazines list on Laralist

You discus such a important topic in this post and provide huge material.you guide very well, what to do when we feel suicidal.i appreciate your post.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been extremely suicidal since I quit drinking, it's just getting worse. I cut myself pretty severely last night, and actually started cutting off a piece of my skin, and then I came to and realized what I was doing and I freaked out. I'm really afraid of what I might do to myself.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AudreyAna View Post
I've been extremely suicidal since I quit drinking, it's just getting worse. I cut myself pretty severely last night, and actually started cutting off a piece of my skin, and then I came to and realized what I was doing and I freaked out. I'm really afraid of what I might do to myself.
Audrey, I've felt like that many times in my life, especially after getting sober and it's completely normal. Your body and mind are essentially trying to process all these emotions you tried to cover up or bury by drinking and when you get sober they can seem very raw and terrifying, but the important thing is to not run away from them and realize they can't really hurt, damage or kill you. One of the best things I can do for myself in those states when I feel like self-injuring or killing myself is to do the exact opposite and do something nurturing or healthy for myself such as exercise (even a walk does wonders), eating comfort or healthy food, watching something funny, spending time with someone who makes me happy, listen to music that makes me happy or sometimes just writing out what I'm feeling. Sometimes we start self-injuring or attempting suicide as a way of trying to kill off something in ourselves that needs to die but neither self-injuring nor suicide accomplishes that. I would suggest if none of those things are working for you to call a suicide hotline or your therapist if you have one (if you don't, seek out an addictions counselor ASAP) or just come hang out in the SoberRecovery chatroom. I would also seek out, when you're not in a panicked state, some meditation and deep breathing exercises you can do to still yourself and keep you balanced and grounded. Really sometimes the best thing you can do when you feel like that is just to sit with those emotions and let them wash over you and realize they're not as bad as you thought they were. If all those fail, go to your nearest emergency room. Just keep holding on, it really does get much better.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When in my childhood and then in my teens I attempted suicide on several occasions. And I have to thank God that I never succeeded. I'm happily married with eight children and four grandchildren. Had I succeeded none of this would have come about.

There are times even now (I'm in my fifty's) that a suicidal thought will enter my head. When this occurs I simply repeat over and over again. "This too will pass" "This too will pass" and I'm living proof that this simple formula works every time.

Blessings.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm 30. I'm sober from booze and heroin for 110 days. It's not helping. Meds don't help. Tired of how life is so damn hard. I have nothing inside of me but anger and sadness. I would rather die than relapse again.