Notices

Hardest I've ever found it

Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hardest I've ever found it

This is the scariest thing I've ever done because I'm admitting that I'm addicted to cannabis.

Give you some context
I'm 24 male
Have been smoking daily for about 2 years (not the worse part)

The part that I'm finding hardest is that I want to quit but.not for good I just don't want to be smoking daily because I'm not getting as high anymore and it's taking all of my money I can't afford it and I'm starting to look for other ways of getting the money which I hate because I can only see it going bad for me

Is there anything that others going through my pain can help with anything that you have done to keep you busy

I've also got all the withdrawals and they suck
Many thanks for reading this if anyone wants for info just ask I'm open to try anything
Old 06-08-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would recommend other peoples' posts - there's tons of good info in there.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there!! Emotional rollercoaster here. I get your struggle, I really do. I am now doing things that are productive and proactive... But my goodness that was not always the case. I started writing things, really putting​ an effort into active recovery.

This did not happen without resistance and me just crying and crying for what seemed like forever. I got over it and you can too!!!

Please keep posting. I still struggle with it. Your posts help me be reflective. Thank you :-)
Old 06-08-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
Hi there!! Emotional rollercoaster here. I get your struggle, I really do. I am now doing things that are productive and proactive... But my goodness that was not always the case. I started writing things, really putting​ an effort into active recovery.

This did not happen without resistance and me just crying and crying for what seemed like forever. I got over it and you can too!!!

Please keep posting. I still struggle with it. Your posts help me be reflective. Thank you :-)
Thank you for your reply and yes the stuggle is real I'm seeing a running trend with being active and keeping yourself busy the hardest thing in finding is keeping it going for more than a few days
Defo harder than giving up smoking
Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jackbigpid1992

My experience is, after smoking more or less daily for 30 years, I only had two speeds - Go and Off.

If I had a bag I had to smoke it. If I was high I had to get higher.

There was no moderation possible for me.

To me, it's like playing with a really sharp and slippery knife and not wanting to get cut.

I'm glad I gave it up completely in the end. It ruled my life.
I don't like to be ruled

D
Old 06-08-2017, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Jack,

I'm about your age, and have a cannabis problem as well. With that being said, I've been able to accumulate some significant clean time from it.

I don't think anyone with a drug/drink problem is thrilled with idea of not using their substance of choice ever again at first. It's the type of idea that becomes more appealing as time away from mind altering substances passes. It's simple brain chemistry.

I also had significant marijuana withdrawals. I've detoxed multiple times, and never want to go through that hell again. Sweating, insomnia, no appetite, horrible depression and anxiety. There were also times where I felt like my brain was just in pain. My best remedies for dealing with them in the moment were long showers, going on long sweaty runs (my last detox occurred in the middle of summer) relaxing sound therapy, whole foods, a couple herbal supplements that I did some research on, psychological support from counselors, and social support from friends and family. Whatever you do though, DO NOT drink alcohol as a way of numbing out your symptoms. You'll feel like death the next day, hinder your brain's ability to heal, and perpetuate the overall problem.

At the end of the day, the only way any of this misery you're experiencing is if you don't smoke again. Take it a day at a time. Hell, take it an hour or a minute at a time if you have to. Wishing you well.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,

Focus on your recovery, rather than the fact that you're not smoking. Do new things, find new hobbies, do the things you've been postponing and etc.

Sport helps a lot. Be active, do new things, meet new people.
The first week or two are the hardest. Then it gets easier, to the point where you don't have withdrawals at all.

As RT said, don't substitute with alcohol, even - stay away from it. It will trigger the same paths in your brain and recovery will be harder, also cravings may occur.

Just intend that you want your life to be different and better and go for it.
It may seems hard now, but believe me - that's just temporary.

Read on other's people threads - that helps a lot too. There are tons of good advises here.

I'll suggest going cold turkey - I'll be hard for a couple of days, but then you'll be feeling much better.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-09-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I want to say that I'm so happy at the amount of support I'm getting it's currently day 2 and I haven't had the cravings today but the withdrawal is killing me but I'm not gonna give up.
It also helps that I can't afford it so my mind is already saying I can't have it cuz I can't afford it

Will keep posting as the days go on
😌
Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay strong and keep on!
Rather than - "I can't afford it", say to yourself "I don't need/want/ it".

That way even when you can afford it, you would not want to do it.

Stay strong, the first days are the hardest, we all know it and I know how it sounds but - it will pass! And you will feel good!

Keep us posted - you can use this thread as kind of a journal. Write whenever you need to/want to. Even if it's rambling and etc.

Good luck and congrats on Day 2!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jack.

My marijuana addiction also was hard to kick. It especially was tough when there was "nothing to do", and I was sitting at home getting antsy and frustrated. Smoking up seemed like a natural fix for boredom....of course, as we all know, as soon as you smoke you just sit there and do absolutely nothing.

Anyway, one key for me was to take those moments where there was "nothing to do" and change my thought process. When you're hitting a lull in the day, and you're at home feeling antsy - GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. Make a plan. It can be something very simple. For example, go to a local cafe and bring your laptop or a book. Grab your camera and hit up that nearby park that you've always wanted to visit. Put on your swimming trunks and hit the beach for a swim.

It doesn't have to be anything major. Just find something that's simple and DO IT. You'll feel silly at first, and your internal addict will tell you it's stupid. Don't listen. Just GET OUT OF THERE and do something. Anything. It works.

PS - stay away from friends who are actively smoking or who might have weed on them. This is not the time for hanging out with that crowd. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Part 2 of day 2
I've just finished work and got home I have already shouted at my gf and grown stuff around now all I can think about is picking up I hate this feeling I can defo say that this is a very low point and it's so ******* hard not to txt him .

One thing I have gotten t to clear up I'm not wanting to quit completely I just want to cut down to maybe once a month or something like that.
I don't hate smoking weed and I don't hate sitting and doing nothing as I do that anyway(I'm a gamer with my own game room)
It's just the amount I smoke I need this break from it but every part of my body is telling me to just buy some and ignore the worries
Old 06-09-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawal's not easy and you will feel irritable for a little while.

Try to remember you're detoxing from something you've done for a long time.

Weed withdrawal is faster than other kinds of withdrawal tho, in my experience - you'll be feeling a lot better on day 5-7 I reckon.

If you smoke again it's back to square one.

It's rough but be kind to yourself - and to those who love you too
Old 06-09-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well it's the start of day 3
And this sucks I'm not feeling the craving for it yet but dam am I sweaty haha can hardly hold my phone my hands are that slippery
I managed to get through yesterday without any weed I'm so happy that I didn't crumble
Just have to remember this is going to help in the long run thanks again for everyone's supporting messages really helping I'm checking this page hourly so I won't miss a possative post
😇
Old 06-10-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the sweatiness won't last too much longer jackbigpid
D
Old 06-10-2017, 02:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope the sweatiness won't last too much longer jackbigpid
D

Same lol it comes and goes lucky I live in the U.K. We don't see a lot of sun lol 😅
Old 06-10-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Right so day 3 sucks I've just hit another craving wall but **** me its a hard one I'm not sure if I will be able to get over this one I'm really struggling
Old 06-10-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some good ideas here for dealing with cravings - they're written from the perspective of the alcoholic, but they work for any craving, in my experience.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

The thing is - cravings pass - even when we don't smoke, they pass.

And although it's not pleasant, it's more discomfort than agony, yeah?

If you can get through without caving in, it will get easier next time and the next.

D
Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Withdrawal sucks big time. No way around it. With weed, I think some people get off easier than others. I used to be quite resentful of people who were able to smoke daily and then quit with no major issues. I think the time table is different for everyone too. During my first detox, day 5 was the worst, and I started to stabilize more about a week or two after that. During my second, day 8 was the worst, but I began to stabilize quicker after that as well. It's going to be a lot of ups and downs moving forward, but you can absolutely get through them.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am addicted to weed
Old 05-19-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was too. Its a hard thing to give up, but absolutely possible
Are you still getting high or have you quit?

D