Notices

Cyclobenzaprine

Old 03-27-2006, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cyclobenzaprine

I'm not having too much trouble getting to sleep, but I went and got a checkup from a Doctor that was reccomended to me for the first time since my initial detox. I told him some nights I would have a 'bit of trouble getting to sleep' and he gave me a prescription and reccomended I get it filled. I really don't think I need this stuff, and I've never heard of a muscle relaxer like Cyclobenzaprine being presribed for this sort of thing. Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or info. on this?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also, I was very frank with this man about my past use and addiction to heroin. Maybe he has an agenda I don't know about that combats some of the less acute withdrawal symptoms of heroin??

Paul
Old 03-28-2006, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Midas

It seems obvious to me that the physician (1st time visit??) may not be fully aware of your predisposition with regards to substance abuse. Also, the doctor may have detected some physiological tension during your check-up. Flexeril is a benzodiazepine. It is commonly prescribed to treat muscle spasms, but can be used to combat severe fatigue and sleep disturbances. Benzo's are highly addictive, and I would seek a second opinion before even getting that script filled. I don't believe it has anything to do with a hidden agenda.

[DISCLAIMER: I am neither a physician, nor a pharmacist. Please consult a healthcare professional for further information.]

Old 03-28-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was prescribed this after my car accident last August for whiplash. It is potent and it does make you sleep quite a bit. I am not an addict so I am not aware of the addictive component but I can attest to the fact that it does make you quite sleepy and so, in small doses, would cure insomnia.

I took it for 2 months and found no withdrawals when I quit. If you physician is aware of your predisposition, I would think that his dose would reflect that.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclobenzaprine

Cyclobenzaprine is generic Flexeril .
I've had to be on this as Flexeril before my spine became so unstable I had to have surgery.
I, too, was a heroin addict for many years & found this (Flexeril) to be a safe medication with NO "high" or withdrawals.

Often, doctors utilize these types of medicines for people who have severe muscle tension creating enough discomfort to interfere with normal sleep patterns. As we sleep better, our bodies & minds heal. The sleep does allow me to make good decisions.

I hope this helps
Old 08-29-2006, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Umm, I'm a narcotics addict to the hilt..I was eating somas, cyclobenzaprine, & valium after a nasty car accident I got in last may.
I was also hooked on vicodin, badly.
I think perhaps it's more a case by case thing, & you maybe try to should judge for yourself..
I had severe whiplash, & a severely bruised spine..The worst tension headaches. I literally lived with the headaches for over a year. They were terrible.
I had to get off everything, or I wasn't going to make it..That is just me. I know different people have different experiences..So, I just wanted to give my side of it.
I see the original post was back march. I'm posting this for anyone who it could possibly help. I still get occasional headaches, but do physical therapy exercises, stretches, & just take tylenol now.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Oops..^Hit the thanks instead of edit...Ahh, there isn't one..I'm in a hurry.

I wanted to add that if prescribed by a doctor...I can understand the need to function. If it's that bad you will need some relief. I went through hell with mine.

However, I crossed the line into dependency and recognized it.
Valium filled a unique nitch for me, in that it helped me sleep, helped with anxiety, & also has a muscle relaxation effect.
Addicts need to take extra care with prescription drugs, As I'm sure many folks in here are already aware.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile cyclobenzaprine

someone close to me has successfully used this medicine for sleep - it is very effective and you may find as he did that you can take a smaller dose than the directions say - yes, it is designated as a muscle relaxer because of the brain effect it has which I guess breaks the pain-tension cycle common in muscle pain - it may cause thirst due to dry mouth and a little slow start in the morning, but my friend found it effective for short-term use - he just keeps the partially used bottle around for those nights when needed - goood luck
Old 09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Supercalifragilistic!

Originally Posted by Midas View Post
It seems obvious to me that the physician (1st time visit??) may not be fully aware of your predisposition with regards to substance abuse. Also, the doctor may have detected some physiological tension during your check-up. Flexeril is a benzodiazepine. It is commonly prescribed to treat muscle spasms, but can be used to combat severe fatigue and sleep disturbances. Benzo's are highly addictive, and I would seek a second opinion before even getting that script filled. I don't believe it has anything to do with a hidden agenda.

[DISCLAIMER: I am neither a physician, nor a pharmacist. Please consult a healthcare professional for further information.]
Flexeril is NOT a benzo!

Cyclobenzaprine is a skeletal muscle relaxant and a central nervous system (CNS) depressant. It is marketed as Flexeril (5 and 10 mg tablets). Both the 5 and 10 milligram tablets are available generically, and also as Fexmid (7.5 mg tablet). Fexmid is not available generically and few pharmacies carry it for this reason.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I have a purpose today.

!!??!!?? It Is The Generic Name For Flexeril Or Flexeral, Look It Up On Line, Read About It. Because It Is Highly Addictive Especially For Addicts Or Alcoholics. Please Be Aware.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

cyclobenzaprine is the generic for flexeril. This medication is a muscle relaxer but can be prescribed for other reasons. This medication is not a controlled substance and contains no narcotics whatsoever.