Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Insomnia/Nightmares
Reload this Page >

Most of you may not have insomnia at all it is "Delayed sleep phase disorder"

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The syndrome usually develops in early childhood or adolescence. An adolescent version may disappear in late adolescence or early adulthood; otherwise, DSPD is a lifelong condition. Prevalence among adults, equally distributed among women and men, is around 0.15%, or three in 2,000. Prevalence among adolescents is as much as 7–16%.

Affected people often report that while they do not get to sleep until the early morning, they do fall asleep around the same time every day. Patients can sleep well and have a normal need for sleep. However, they find it very difficult to wake up in time for a typical school or work day. If they are allowed to follow their own schedules, e.g. sleeping from 3:00 am to 12:00 noon, their sleep is improved and they may not experience excessive daytime sleepiness.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-09-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: medical diagnoses not allowed (rule 10 med advice)
Old 05-09-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Attempting to force oneself onto daytime society's schedule with DSPD has been compared to constantly living with jet lag; DSPD has, in fact, been referred to as "social jet lag".

Depending on the severity, the symptoms can be managed to a greater or lesser degree, but no cure is known.

[Of course you can't cure something that is not a disease to start with]
Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

According to the International Classification of Sleep Disorders, Revised (ICSD-R, 2001),the circadian rhythm sleep disorders share a common underlying chronophysiologic basis:

The major feature of these disorders is a misalignment between the patient's sleep-wake pattern and the pattern that is desired or regarded as the societal norm... In most circadian rhythm sleep disorders, the underlying problem is that the patient cannot sleep when sleep is desired, needed or expected.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And that's it. If you did not know the name of it now you do.

Clueless people always saying "just get up early and at night you will be tired"

If you have "Delayed sleep phase disorder" Are a night owl like me you know how irritating it is when people say that and that it never works. Get up early for a week and maybe you fall asleep early one night then its back to being awake till 3 am till you suffer 5 more early wake ups and are tired and fall asleep early once then it resets.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This condition is no joke, the answer for me was to never take commitments that require early wake ups, I could never drink or pill my way to being a morning person, it almost killed me trying.

I always called it insomnia but if I am not hassled to sleep "on time"and wake "on time" it is never a problem.

Insomnia was never my problem the timing I was expected to live by was.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I was diagnosed with this as an infant, my mom had it as well. I do suffer from insomnia but it is separate from this. Glad to finally have a name for this instead of just saying "my circadian rhythm is different from most of societies."
Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BetterNow2017 View Post
The syndrome usually develops in early childhood or adolescence. An adolescent version may disappear in late adolescence or early adulthood; otherwise, DSPD is a lifelong condition. Prevalence among adults, equally distributed among women and men, is around 0.15%, or three in 2,000. Prevalence among adolescents is as much as 7–16%.

Affected people often report that while they do not get to sleep until the early morning, they do fall asleep around the same time every day. Patients can sleep well and have a normal need for sleep. However, they find it very difficult to wake up in time for a typical school or work day. If they are allowed to follow their own schedules, e.g. sleeping from 3:00 am to 12:00 noon, their sleep is improved and they may not experience excessive daytime sleepiness.

Wow!!!!!!! My husband used to tell me that I was living like a teenager and part of it was my desire to be up at night and sleep until 11- 12:30 the next day.

it kills me to wake up in the morning.

I have to be to work by 8:30 which is probably by most standards late.

my best sleep probably comes between 4 am and noon!

maybe I have this. How is it diagnosed? Maybe I missed that part on the thread. I'll look again.

I've never heard of this!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That can't be for me because it only started late in life, but it may be very useful for others. Thanks.