Notices

Does the insomnia after alcoholism ever go away?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does the insomnia after alcoholism ever go away?

Alcoholics, how long after getting sober were you able to start getting 6 hours of sleep per night again? For those of you that sleep normally again, did you always have the waiter ask the chef if there was alcohol in your food?
Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It took me about two months to fall into a normal sleep pattern again, with the help of SSRI's prescribed for my anxiety. There's no rule of thumb for this though, we'll all have different times to get back into a normal routine.

If you're not sure of what you're ingesting/consuming, and it's a concern in your recovery, then it's always wise to ask.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

About a week or so for me when things calm down and I can finally get a good nights sleep. Not sure what you mean about asking a waiter about alcohol in food?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't understand that part about the waiter either.

As far as the sleep....for the last months of my drinking, last year, I had horribly vivid nightmares. All the vodka didn't help. My dr prescribed me seroquel nightly; I did take it most nights, unless I was home so late from work that I had to be up again five or six hours later. When I quit drinking, the nightmares turned to vivid dreams then to regular dreams (usually stuff I don't remember, like normal folks have) and this probably took two, three months. I also took a LOT of naps - and often long ones, of several hours- the first five or so weeks because I was completely, utterly exhausted in every way.

Now, at 8 months and change, I sleep normally. I still take seroquel and I usually sleep 7 1/2-8 hours, 9 if I am really tired, and usually wake up around the time of whatever alarm I have set. I keep my wake up time pretty consistent, within about an hour window depending on my day.

Drs can help, and I have no problem taking meds myself. IME and as I have heard from others, sleep will even out to your normal, if you don't drink.

Hang in there.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I first got sober, I used to ask the waiter if there was alcohol in whatever I was ordering. Now, they usually have it in the description on the menu. You're smart doing it though. Although some people say "the alcohol cooks off" while making the dish, it STILL leaves the actual taste of the alcohol in the food. When you're newly sober, that can set you off. Maybe not at first, but the taste of the alcohol is still on your tongue, in your throat, goes to your mind, your mind plays games, etc. I don't care what anyone thinks, eventually it will lead you to drink again. I've seen it happen too many times to count. Heard about it at meetings. Now it's been a while for me (27 yrs sober), & I just don't order anything with alcohol in it to begin with. I don't need the temptation. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Not,

It will get better.

I'm 18 mo. Clean. I sleep about 4 to 5 hours, wake up for about an hour and then sleep for about 2 to 3 more hours.

That has been the norm for about 6 months or so.

I used/use techniques to relax..478 breathing and sleep noises on my droid. I work out too. It helps tire me out. But, not to late.

The main thing i have been doing lately is....I only use the bed to sleep. No watching tv etc.

When I reach for the tv remote or droid, I get up.

Bed is for sleeping only. It makes bed a special place. This tech. Has mad a big difference in my sleeping.

When I get in bed, my body knows it is sleep time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Not,

It will get better.

I'm 18 mo. Clean. I sleep about 4 to 5 hours, wake up for about an hour and then sleep for about 2 to 3 more hours.

That has been the norm for about 6 months or so.

I used/use techniques to relax..478 breathing and sleep noises on my droid. I work out too. It helps tire me out. But, not to late.

The main thing i have been doing lately is....I only use the bed to sleep. No watching tv etc.

When I reach for the tv remote or droid, I get up.

Bed is for sleeping only. It makes bed a special place. This tech. Has mad a big difference in my sleeping.

When I get in bed, my body knows it is sleep time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Thanks so much.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm trying to stop drinking but get so ill (shaky, sweats etc) am trying to cut down gradually as I cant afford rehab. My sleep pattern is terrible, every hour I wake up sweating after having really vivid dreams, have to have a drink to drop back to sleep...it really is a nightmare...I hope I can get to your stage, it takes time for the body to adapt back, not just physically but neurons in the brain etc, I hope to get there but its horrible, good luck, hope it gets better x
Old 12-11-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My sleep has returned to normal for me, which still involves waking up around 2 am some days. However, even if I wake up in the middle of the night I am much less tired than I had been while drinking.

I believe I used to pass out many nights, rather than fall asleep, and waking up in the middle of the night was awful.

It took me 2-3 months to get into a normal pattern. Hang in there it is worth it!
Old 12-17-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peduncles View Post
Hi! Some effective techniques you can use is to have a sleep schedule that you must stick in no matter what. The sleep schedule has to be very consistent every single day. If you can't sleep at your designated sleep schedule, just lie on your bed all throughout the schedule. Eventually, your body will learn that schedule and sleep will easily come to you. Try meditation 1 hour to 30 minutes before your bedtime. Also make sure that you'll sleep in a room with complete lights off. Warm hugs to you!
Thanks, I've tried all those things. Do you know how long it takes to sleep like a normal human after quitting drinking? I haven't had a drink in 16 months and I can't sleep more than 4 hours a night or so and I wake up a lot.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 21 last night I slept 8 hours and will take a nap I have schizoaffective bipolar disorder and fibromyalgia and alcoholism. Man I was a wreck But I have been going to AA for 12 years and finally finished my amends. When your side of the street is clean in my case I sleep better then I have for a long time.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

8 hours 11.5 hours then 5 and 2.5 hour nap day 23
Old 07-12-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I sometimes have insomnia, but I think that's sometimes due to mood/mental illness (not bipolar) or diet. But if you stay off the coffee for like 5 hours before sleep, you should be fine after a week or so.
Hang in there, it DOES get much better.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My friend who is an RN just recommended magnesium. I have been sober for almost 19 months and I was sleeping normally but am going off my ativan now (ain't addiction grand!).

I take it in powder form in water. Starting with 1/2 tsp. And adding another after about 45 min - an hour if I'm not feeling groggy.

It also have muscle relaxing and anti anxiety properties. You can have your natural levels checked by your doctor with blood work.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Melatonin

Can I ask - had anyone tried Melatonin to get to sleep? I'm thinking about trying it.

Thanks,

Kelly
Old 07-21-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been using 4mgs for while now as insomnia is one of the side effects of a med I take - seems to work fine for me - no ill effects.

I have rest days from the meds (Dr approved) so I take rest days from the melatonin too.

Even tho is over the counter in the US I'd still run it past your Dr.
Worth checking this thread out tho:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ecautions.html
Old 01-22-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

honestly. i've always slept like crap my wife makes fun of me for it.
I was always a light sleeper, like if a furnace kicks on on in the other side of a house, i'd wake up.
however, i took chantix to stop smoking and i never honestly recovered. that was 7 years ago or so now? when i was in the middle of chantix, i would wake up after an hour and be awake all day, some nights i wouldn't sleep.
Once i stopped drinking, it did take a bit get to get back into a normal habit of sleeping better. But the drinking didn't start my sleeping issues
Old 04-02-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm still not sleeping well after 81 days, averaging 5-7 hours. I have an app on my phone called "Calm". I ended up getting the premium version. It has breathing exercises, music and even bedtime stories. I love it.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've been off pills for 8 years and sober from booze for a little bit over 2 years. I don't know if what I have is insomnia since technically i can fall asleep, but most nights I find myself pondering the world when I should be counting sheep.

The mind racing doesn't stop unless I distract it. For me, that's the key. So, most nights, i fall asleep with earphones plugged into my TV on netflix to stop the thoughts. I'm good with that.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
weewillie

Originally Posted by notgonnadrinknm View Post
Alcoholics, how long after getting sober were you able to start getting 6 hours of sleep per night again? For those of you that sleep normally again, did you always have the waiter ask the chef if there was alcohol in your food?
D'ya know I honestly do not remember .
I guess I must have frazzled my brain cells...
(It's the booze that does that, you know)

Ask the waiter! Yes indeed, I did ask for many many years. Then I reckoned there was probably not enough of it in the food, or that it would have had very little effect, if any at all, it probably would have been burned away in the cooking process.
I certainly never smelled or tasted any in the eating process.

However, I certainly & definitely would not recommend anyone do the same, ever.

Interesting post and replies folks.

Regards.
weewillie