Notices

Sleep Paralysis

Old 05-03-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep Paralysis

I'm not sure this is the place to post this but I suffer from sleep paralysis. It's when the body falls Into rem sleep but the mind is still awake.

During this time I will suffer hallucinations. It's related to anxiety.

I absolutely hate it. It never occurred when I was drinking, mostly because I was a blackout drinker.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have to horrifying degrees I always suggest removing mirrors from the bedroom to help
Old 05-08-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely cannot sleep on my back because it is guaranteed this will happen. Does not often happen when I sleep on my side. Wikipedia has a very informative page on this.

I had no idea it was anxiety related though. This has been happening all my life even as a teen though, it was even worse then, when I lived with my abusive family so that might explain something.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have my sympathy! I've had it happen a few times and it's terrifying. I semi wake up because I am not breathing and I panic and finally wake up enough to hit myself in the chest and that breaks the paralysis.

It was around month two or so...haven't had it happen since and really hope I don't. AWFUL.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had these. The worst is when I'm under hot blankets! I use imagining or actually touching my index fingers together if I can breaks it. I either wake up or just go back to sleep.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oddly, I get this more if I am not under blankets. So I have to be covered by something even if it is extremely hot and humid, which I hate. And it has to have some weight to it, a sheet won't do or I still get the half asleep/half conscious spooky stuff. Where you hear your name or think someone is in the room with you.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had horrible sleep paralysis for the last 6 months of my husbands battle with cancer. It was awful. I found exercise really helped and making sure I had a very calm and quiet hour or so in bed before sleep (no tv) with enjoyable reading, dim lights, soothing mood music. And mostly I had to not worry about it. I could seem to bring it on by thinking about it ahead of time.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was tested for sleep apnea. I had 9% REM state that was fragmented..really I not dream at all and wake up and walk about every 3 hours..I have a a cpap now so at I breathe. But really don't sleep...
Old 07-08-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had these from being a child. Seeing people in the room, but not being able to move, seeing demons etc. Apparently it's well documented through the ages, there are a name for these male and female "demons" but can't remember them..and don't want to look it up on google incase I start mine off again!
Old 07-09-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I went in for surgery I had sleep paralysis listed on my paperwork and the nurses were asking me what it was like,they never heard of it before. It's very scary like I can't breath than finally wake up panicked. I ,lately get it when I sleep on my back.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I experienced sleep paralysis. It felt like I was being electrocuted - I couldn't move. I was not fully conscious, yet my eyes were open. It was what some people might call a waking dream. I could think and feel, but I could not move. It lasted anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. I never felt the presence of demons or anything supernatural though. The sleep paralysis things occurred off and on for a few months.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get this occasionally and it's horrible. Sleeping position may be part to blame (I only get it when sleeping sitting up, usually on a train)

The main technique I used is to remind yourself repeatedly that when it happens - it's just sleep paralysis and that nothing bad is going to happen. After a while I was able to relax more during sleep paralysis and have fairly normal mental functioning during an episode. I could then conciously try and wake mself during an episode (though it does take some struggling), or to simply relax and tell myself to go back to sleep and it goes away.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get this too. Half the time I can fight my way out of it wake my body up but with a startling jolt and the other half I just dream that I awake up so I stop trying to and just get sucked back into my dreams cause I think I'm already awake. Weird stuff.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have had it since childhood..... I HATE it!

Anyone ever experience hearing something yell in your ear when you're sleeping? I've had it happen twice recently where I was sleeping and dreaming when a male voice yelled something really loud right in my ear and startled me awake only to find myself alone...... very disconcerting and creepy.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Had them back in the 1970s.
I open my eyes and see the room empty. I feel there is something there with me and feel an intense fear like no other. A Shirley Temple child would climb to the end of the bed stay there and not move. I scream but no sound would come out of me. The thing moved closer to me and I clearly see it had no face. Then I no longer remember anything. This happen to me at least 10 times. My mother thought I was just having nightmares. Wished she believed me.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Had this since childhood although it now only occurs once a year or so. It is frightening as hell. My mother has it as well. That makes sense its related to anxiety as I've suffered from it since childhood as well.

My sleep paralysis is so severe its caused me to fight sleep until I'm completely exhausted. Four or five years ago I was prescribed a medication for anxiety to be taken an hour before I plan on going to sleep. Interestingly, this is around the same time my episodes of sleep paralysis went down dramatically.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It has been a few weeks since I've had a sleep paralysis episode but I used to have it 3-4 times a week when I was still drinking. I've only had it a handful of time since I've been sober (4 months). It comes and goes. Here recently I've just had a series of weird dreams. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who deals with this terrifying experience.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Megan and congrats on your sober time!