Notices

My repeating nightmare

Old 03-11-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My repeating nightmare

So, the first week I got out of jail this time I had a very hard time sleeping. I now sleep well BUT every single night I have the same dreams.

I'm usually back in Jail and I keep saying to myself, "How did I get here, Why am I here?"

Last nights was the worst. Not only did the above happen but the dream was prolonged and my mother and father were saying something like, "Son why can't you get it. What did you do this time?" I kept trying to tell them I didn't do anything and that I had been doing very well and that I don't know why I am here. I accepted that my intense probation/IOP was a set up for failure (that can be debated) and I was extremely angry in my nightmare. I woke up in sweat thanking God it was just a dream.

I almost think these nightmares are continually happening to keep me on the right track. I told my therapist this and she thought I was crazy. Am I crazy?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I don't think dreams like that make us crazy. There's a reason behind every one of them. For many years I dreamt that my teeth were falling out. Those dreams stopped when I quit chewing tobacco. Go figure, right?!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KDP123 View Post
I almost think these nightmares are continually happening to keep me on the right track. I told my therapist this and she thought I was crazy. Am I crazy?
The first 2 months of my sobriety I had all types of dreams that were using related. I completely agree that they kept me focused on recovery. Even though I didn't enjoy them, they were very helpful and served a purpose of reminding how grave my situation had in fact become.

If I were to have my mental state evaluated solely based on my dreams I would be in the Booby hatch.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm no medical expert but I think that's a harsh conclusion on part of your therapist assuming they are serious. I've often had deep discussions with friends about dreams and nightmares and I was shocked at what others shared, made mine look far less crazy.

Anyway sounds like you're having a hard time coping with the past. Have you tried writing about your experience (just for yourself, not for publication)? I've done that myself when stressed about past incidents and it helps relieve some of the tension.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

With continued sobriety they will fade i used to suffer a lot of sleep problems inc
nightmares, sleep paralysis, sleepwalking/talking/eating

it does get better Kdp