Notices

"Trazodone" Anyone using this for sleep?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Trazodone" Anyone using this for sleep?

Hi I quit drinking on January 1, 2009....I have progressively gotten less and less sleep. I saw my doctor this afternoon and he has prescribed me Apo Trazadone 50 mg. He suggested a 1/2 pill to try for a start and up to 1 if it is not helping.

Anyone on hear tried this or had any experiences they would like to share with me? Thanks a ton!

Pancake =^..^=
Old 02-11-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YES.. scary stuff IMHO i only took it twice.. it was very STRONG!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do u know what dosage u had? And...may I ask what did it do to you? Did you sleep?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pancake: i'm not SURE of the dose.. it was a BIG tablet.. i took ONE and it was SCARY! it was like hard dope.. i fell asleep FAST (it was weird) the next night i took a half.. that was not as bad.. but still WEIRD!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Pancake, I have been using Trazadone for some time.
I am very sensitive to meds and I find it light, symptom wise as opposed to seroquel which I find very strong. I take a 100 mg at night.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks both of you...My tabs are only 50mg and my doctor said to try a 1/2 first...I have heard some ppl say some pretty weired things about this but I expect maybe there dosages were higher?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Trazodone is actually an antidepressant that is used at low doses as a sleep aid. It usually works right away, though some people need to take it regularly for a few days to notice its full effect.

I've been on it a couple of times, and really disliked it (doses ranging from 25mg to 100mg). It didn't seem to help my insomnia at all, and the next day I'd feel very hungover and dizzy. So I discontinued it.

However, most people find it to be very good for sleep: low side effect profile, deep sleep, no potential for abuse, affordable. The only way to know if it's going to help you is by taking it as prescribed by your doc. You should take it with a little food to get its full effect, the 25mg s/he prescribed is pretty standard.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ske

I've taken Trazadone for awhile and have not experienced ill effects, including drug hangovers. It gets me to sleep pretty fast, too. And better yet, it keeps me asleep. I am taking 150 mg / night.

I've used Ambien, but found it gave me short-term memory loss. For me, Trazadone works just fine.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I take trazadone only as needed for sleep. it helps when I need it, but I am groggy in the morning for awhile. I have a low dose though I think it's only 20mg.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My 10 year old daughter takes this stuff to go to sleep. It knocks her out like a roundhouse punch. 50 mg dose. She sometimes wakes up tired but the overall effect is helping her. Poor little thing.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Ive been taking Trazadone (100mg) at bed time for 5 years now...really helps with my insomnia. I also started to take a low dose (25mg) during the day as needed when my anxiety disrupts my functioning. I have adapted to the side effects and function far better than without it.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also take Trazadone to sleep, and I find it incredibly helpful. Originally was given it in rehab, and they continued my script upon departure. I have experienced no negative side effects, but rather just a very deep sleep.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My Doctor rx'd Trazadone to help me sleep, and I have been on it for about a year and a half now.

I am taking 50 mg tabs, and can take a max of 150mg if needed.

I talked to a psych nurse (in a social setting) about Trazadone and she said it is a excellent sleep aid, but an average to poor anti depressant.

I have to be very careful about not taking any Trazadone after 1 am, or else I will be zombied out the next day.

I guess if you are on it, you need to figure out what your cut off time is.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!!! My word...My grateful THANKS to each of you for responding about this drug.

Well, I got "higher than a kite" within less than 10 minutes of taking it on Wed. nite...was just horrible. Once that kicked out in about 20 mins. I was the opposite "Wide AWAKE" for along long time and then I fell asleep to have Horrid Nightmares for 3 hrs...and that was it!

Never took another! Called my pharmacist today and he told me I had a severe allergic reaction to it and noted so in my file there. I will jsut suffer thru this now until my body finally collapes or whichever comes first?! HOPEFULLY I sleep in time. I see my own doctor again in just under a month so will discuss with him then.

Once again...My humble and appreciative THANKS to all!

Pancake x
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I guess my tolerance is just out of the ball park Im now taking 150 mg of trazadone and it dont do nothing for me I havent been sleepy with it yet much less knocked out or thoght It was like hard dope its like I took an asprin nothing. My Doc said she takes 400 mg a night. she keeps uping me by 50 mgs but so far its done nothing.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It didn't work for me. I didn't sleep and it made me feel foggy the next day. I hated the feeling but I have friends who swear by it. Everyone's different.

Love,

Lenini
Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been taking trazodone 50 mg to sleep since 1994 so I guess I like it. I'm allowed to take up to 2 tablets a night and have on occassion but then I usually sleep for about 24 hours.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
On the path to self discovery

Doesnt work that great for me, plus gives me a 'hungover' feeling in the morning.

I like Ambien much better.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love my Trazodone . . . taking it forever! I take 75 mg a night sometimes more when I am really stressed or know that I can sleep in a little more since I have insomnia the higher dose let's me sleep in while the lower dose allows me enough sleep for the night in order to get up (usually about 6 hours of sleep). No hangover feeling I actually get up and go to the gym in the morning with no problem!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Took it for about two weeks. Then my psychiatrist took me off it because I am bi-polar and he was afraid it would push me toward a hypomanic state.

It did help with sleep, but I felt groggy for several hours the next day if I took enough to have a deep sleep effect. If i took a lower dose, no groggies, but also only a few hours sleep.

sleep has been a huge issue for me lately, and I have actually considered going back to the trazadone because trying to live on three hours sleep sucks.