Notices

Nightmares anyone?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Nightmares anyone?

I am seriously going for holistic/alternative stuff for insomnia!

I have been sober 20 yrs and at my 13 year of sobriety, a huge situation happened in my life that altered most everything in my life including the way my body chemistry processed things. I ended up with very bad insomnia.

I didn't take anything for a very long time and then eventually, would take Ambien 2 or 3 times a week. Very low dose. Over last couple of years, started taking every night. The last year has produced what I call "swiss cheese brain". I cannot focus, don't remember where I put things, forget things in general and sometimes in mid-sentence. So, I changed to Trazodone. Took 1/4 pill last night (yes, i'm very sensitive!).

I had a horrible nightmare (I don't even dream) and still remember all the details. Very vivid about a murder and people i knew.

If that is what sleep aids (???) and the pharmaceuticals do (get you dependent on them), then I'm going to make a committment to myself to really give holistic stuff a try. Has anyone heard of "Neu-Becalm'd"? I read up on it and it not only helps you sleep, it helps repair the serotonims (spelling doesn't count) and such in the brain. Also helps anxiety and ADHD.

Feedback anyone?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I love Bach Rescue Sleep in spray. It makes me fall asleep so fast I have to be in bed when I take it. I am very sensitive. I don't take it very often.

I like to study nightmares. They are often very reveling about what is going on in my life and I have also found that many of them are actually quite funny when I look at it symbolically rather than literally. There are many dream analysis websites on the net. It is a very fascinating to me to look at things from the perspective of the sub conscious and actually learn how to communicate with myself.

You seem to feel that the nightmare you had is drug induced I am sure that is very possible. Perhaps you will find a good holistic practicener to help you make some choices.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi I havent posted anywhere yet that I can find but this topic sure caught my eye....My Name is JD alky/addict and I have nightmares too / Insomniac for sure
Where do I start with sleep aides Ive tried all different ones from doctor ambien and some anti-anxiety/sleep aides they all do the same no matter what doseage I cant function the following day and takes 3 days before Iam back up to par of not taking any so as a result I dont take anything

a friend found an article and said a baked potatoe before bed was to help ....no skip the sour cream the butter salt and pepper and cheese and /or bacon bits ....Just Plain I have tried this and I have at least felt better the next day
what it does is helps the seratonin reach the receptors and the following morning you should feel a difference - very good for insomnia depression energy levels - anyway theres my 2 cents now lets see if I follow it myself .
I dont always remember to.
JD
Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My pdoc recommended melatonin.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been on melatonin for a while now. They started me on it in rehab and it works wonders most times. it's natural. from what i understand your body produces melatonin naturally. it's activated in your body by darkness which is why our body's like to sleep during the dark hours. i'm also in drug court and it's acceptable where nothing else is so i have to assume it's safe. works for me.... fwiw...
Old 10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doing what I did I'm lucky I'm not in far worse shape than I currently am - but yeah, I'm still having nightmares, more like vivid dreams. Yeah it disturbs my sleep, but at least I know I'm getting REM. When I was on dope I would just go into a coma for 4-8 hours and wake up ready to go like nothing happened, like there was no morning, noon or night and not have any dreams at all.