Notices

Bedtime Gratitude ~ Part 51

Old 12-20-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Grateful that no matter what we are going through, we have each other.
And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Grateful that I can finally finish up a large job today and get paid, and then go fishing with my son.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Grateful that we found a beautiful, quirky Christmas tree today.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Grateful I figured out I DO know how to do EFT tapping, tried it last night, and that it did seem to help my upper back pain. Glad I'm willing to try what's suggested to me.

Grateful I just feel so much better emotionally and spiritually than I have all week. I may have broken my foot, which is pretty scary, but the tapping and today's mountain bike ride seem to have given me a much-needed lift.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 12-20-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Grateful my daughter washed her car today without me having to tell her.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Grateful for doing more twelfth step work. This morning I was debating if I should reach out to my ex-co-worker who got fired for drinking on the job.

Some of my thoughts this morning: Here I am all comfy in my robe. Sipping on a nice hot mug of coffee while eating a nice hot bowl of oatmeal with honey, sweet n low, cinnamon, a banana, raisins, and a cup of milk in it. I have the whole weekend off. I've been sober for 22 years. I have a steady job. I have a great wife and a nice family. I live in a decent area. I can just finally enjoy having the weekend off after working many hours, spending time with my family and taking time out to pamper myself and just chill. Maybe even calling a friend and seeing a movie.

Why should I take the risk of helping this hopeless alcoholic who just got fired for drinking on the job and disgraced himself, is physically dependent on alcohol and gets the shakes when he quits drinking, has nothing going for him, is 48 years old and living with a friend's parents, in a not so great area just North of Detroit, who smokes a lot, has lost just about everything in life and more than likely will not recover from the disease of alcoholism and probably even die from it?

After thinking about this I started remembering what a hopeless alcoholic I was at one time who had nothing going for him and if it wasn't for people taking the risk to help me out I would've never made it.

Right then and there I knew it was my duty to reach out and give a helping hand and see if I can get this guy to an AA meeting and on the road to recovery. I looked in my AA directory this morning and noticed there was an AA meeting in his city that started in about two hours.

I gave him a call and told him there's this meeting right by where he lives and that I could pick him up and get him to that meeting. He agreed and said he'll go to the meeting. I picked him up and we went to the meeting.

I told my story at the meeting that my co-worker just got fired for drinking on the job and that I'm taking him to this meeting to get him help. When it was his time to share he said he needed help and that he needs to quit drinking and that he's glad he made it to the meeting.

The meeting was very warm and they all shared the message of hope, how at one time they lost jobs due to drinking, and gave him a beginners packet with a AA directory and a Big Book.

After the meeting I told him how important it was to not pick up the first drink just for today, to get to as many meetings as he could, to start reading the Big Book, especially from the Preface to page 164, cause those are the directions on how to get and stay sober.

I took him home and started realizing that I probably helped myself more than I helped him. And I asked myself this dreaded question: Honestly, do I think this guy has a chance at recovering from this disease? Probably not. He seems to be the hopeless type that is so pickled that he won't make it.

But then I started thinking that if you were to ask my family and the people who knew me back when I was a hopeless alcoholic if I had a chance to recover and they would've said I didn't have a chance and that I was too pickled to recover.

Conclusion: We said a prayer together. He got to an AA meeting that meets 5 times a week just a couple blocks away where he lives. He has a AA directory and a Big Book and my number and many numbers from people who signed the beginners packet. I have to hope that he has a chance.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Sorry for the double post. This forum sometimes doesn't post it after I push "post quick reply" unless I hit it twice.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Grateful for a warm and pleasant family gathering tonight.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Grateful for another sober Saturday.
Grateful for the happiness I feel in sobriety.
Grateful every second for my wonderful dogs.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

excellent post unc!

said again

grateful to remember when
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
p***enger

Grateful that I'm safe and that my life isn't plagued by violence and crime.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Grateful
For a few days of downtime.
For restarting my workouts
For clarity.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Holmes, that was a fantastic post. Thank you.

Grateful to slowly be learning that helping others feels much better to me, and brings me more pleasure than getting what I want all the time. And if I get to do what I want all the time how will I grow?

This clip of the comedian Craig Ferguson talking about his alcoholism during his opening monologue was very moving to me and I hope it is to others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZVWIELHQQY
Old 12-20-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Grateful I am able to do nice things for my daughter because I am sober.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
This clip of the comedian Craig Ferguson talking about his alcoholism during his opening monologue was very moving to me and I hope it is to others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZVWIELHQQY
Thank you Eternal.
That was wonderful.
There is nothing more powerful (for me) than listening to the experience, strength and hope of someone in recovery.
This is why I love AA.

And I am INCREDIBLY grateful that I finally went back.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Grateful to be home, to be sober and to go to bed.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Unc, fantastic share! Made me think of this statement of purpose:

"Whenever anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of A.A. always to be there. And for that, I am responsible."

I'm grateful that someone was there when I reached out.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Grateful for people who go out of thier way to help others, just like Uncleholmes.

Grateful for a mug of mulled Apple juice.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Grateful I am working hard at not becoming part of intense family drama. I am telling myself I have the right to make myself happy. It took sobriety and hard work to accept that and im sticking with it.

Grateful for the profound love and acceptance on this site. Love you all.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

grateful i canceled my subscription to The Drama Digest