Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > GLBTQ in Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [7]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sober Newbie

Gay Sober Newbie

Hey everybody,

I just joined, and am really glad there's a forum out there for GLBTQ folks in Recovery. That's awesome.

Where I live, there are 2 GLBT AA meetings to attend each week... I'm going to go to my first one tonight. I'm a little nervous. Okay, more than a little nervous... I'm kinda terrified.

I have a "perfection" complex which is kinda what drove me to drink a lot... I hear that a lot of us are affected with this particular brand of self-incrimination. Even though I feel broken down, tired, scared, and drained... I still feel like I have "be on" with everybody I see. I'm afraid this will keep me from being honest in Recovery. Not sure how best to deal with that.

Anyway, it's great to have found this place and I'm anxious to be a part of it.

Best,
Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Life the gift of recovery!

Hi Mike and welcome to both SR and our GLBT section of the forums. It's always nice to see another new face around here.

The GLBT section is not as active of a forum as our alcoholism or drug forums but we do have some regulars around here who pop in when they can so don't worry if it takes a little while, sometimes even a couple of days, to get a response down here. I am active here as well as in the alcoholism forums and sometimes in newcomers.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and welcome
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to nandm For This Useful Post:
anonymick (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sober Newbie

Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the info. See you around!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recovering ostrich

Welcome!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard.

Man, do I relate to the "being on" thing. I've 'been on' so much for so long that I finally broke down. It was like I'd driven down the freeway in third gear for too many years and blew....something. I don't know anything about cars, but that's my best analogy.

I was so exhausted that at one point I remarked to my wife/partner, "I'm so tired that when I go to ask someone a question about themselves, I'm too tired before my question is even done to care about their answer!"

Hopefully, with finding others who let their masks down, you'll start to feel safe enough to lower your own. It's a huge relief. AAers are often nothing if not authentic. Not all of course; we're all human and "being on" is an ingrained habit. But being surrounded by safe people, it can be an easy relief to shed that straight jacket.

Welcome to SR - lots of great people and support here.
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanS For This Useful Post:
anonymick (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Progress, not perfection.

Welcome to SR and the GLBT forum Mike. I pop in now and then here and am active on other parts of the site. Great support and some good times too.

How long have you been sober? You might check out the Newcomer's Daily Support forum, lots of great people and support there!

The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeCKC For This Useful Post:
anonymick (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sober Newbie

Thanks for your messages, they mean a lot to this "newbie!" I've been sober 4 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes. At least according to the new "sober app" on my phone. I had no idea being in recovery could be so high tech

I'm finding this place to be a really great resource and I think I will really enjoy spending time here. Thanks for the welcome! And you're right, DylanS... ready to shed that straight jacket!
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymick For This Useful Post:
DrakeCKC (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Recovering ostrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymick View Post
Thanks for your messages, they mean a lot to this "newbie!" I've been sober 4 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes. At least according to the new "sober app" on my phone. I had no idea being in recovery could be so high tech I'm finding this place to be a really great resource and I think I will really enjoy spending time here. Thanks for the welcome! And you're right, DylanS... ready to shed that straight jacket!
There are a few good apps, this one, SR is my fave. There's In the Rooms and 12 Step Companion too if that is the path you are taking.