Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > GLBTQ in Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [5]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Life the gift of recovery!

Today is a historic day

I am so thankful today that I can feel a little more like a full citizen in the Country that I was born in because of the Supreme Court rulings that came out today as well as the people who had the courage to fight those battles for me.

Thank you to people like Edie Windsor who had the courage and strength to go up against our Federal government and fight for equality and achieve the death of Section 3 of DOMA (the poorly named Defense of Marriage Act).

Thank you to the two couples in California and their families for have the courage to fight for equality and essentially winning their case against Prop 8 (the case that fought against eliminating equal marriage in California).

Thank you to those on the Supreme Court for making fair minded decisions in both of these cases. To the dissenters I hope you never have to experience what it is like to be a second class citizen in your own Country.

To all the GLBT people who work hard each day in the fight for equality I want to say thank you. Even something as simple as signing a petition matters, one does not have to be in the forefront to make change happen.

One of the things that kept me drinking for so long was that feeling of being a second class citizen and the self hatred that goes with being ostracized for being GLBT. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction to help others not have to go through that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nandm For This Useful Post:
Carlotta (07-06-2013), Dee74 (06-27-2013), Hevyn (06-27-2013), Lyoness (06-26-2013), Nonsensical (06-26-2013), PaperDolls (06-27-2013), RobbyRobot (06-27-2013), SoberJennie (06-26-2013), Weasel1966 (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
A simple guy making his way

Very well said. I feel the same.

How do you understate the fact that I am now a first class citizen no longer relegated to less?

Oh.... You don't.

You cannot see your strengths, but you gain confidence in their existence as they enable you to act.
And the results of your actions you can see.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weasel1966 For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (06-27-2013), Lyoness (07-05-2013), PaperDolls (06-27-2013), RobbyRobot (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dismember

Yesterday was so amazing!

I've been more active lately in LGBT politics lately, particularly over marriage. My state of Oregon is in the process of getting SSM rights on a 2014 ballot. Prior events/rallies have always had a kind of defiant, demanding tone. Went to one yesterday and it was just cheering, hugging, crying, beautiful.

On a forum-related note: also accepted an invitation from a friend to come to a reception party celebrating the DOMA case by the local ACLU. Got there parched; friend said I should check out the free bar. Walked over and saw some brown bottles set up and thought, "please God, let one of them be root beer." To my luck, they had my favorite local one! Just a day full of victories - big and small.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Isaiah For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (06-27-2013), nandm (06-27-2013), PaperDolls (06-27-2013), Weasel1966 (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Greeter

I'm not sure my smile will ever go away. I sure hope it doesn't!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaperDolls For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (06-27-2013), nandm (06-27-2013), RobbyRobot (06-27-2013), Weasel1966 (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Life the gift of recovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Yesterday was so amazing!

I've been more active lately in LGBT politics lately, particularly over marriage. My state of Oregon is in the process of getting SSM rights on a 2014 ballot. Prior events/rallies have always had a kind of defiant, demanding tone. Went to one yesterday and it was just cheering, hugging, crying, beautiful.

On a forum-related note: also accepted an invitation from a friend to come to a reception party celebrating the DOMA case by the local ACLU. Got there parched; friend said I should check out the free bar. Walked over and saw some brown bottles set up and thought, "please God, let one of them be root beer." To my luck, they had my favorite local one! Just a day full of victories - big and small.
I am in Oregon as well and am so excited to know we are going to get a measure on the ballot to over turn the DOMA in this state and legalize marriage equality here in 2014. I keep checking to see when the petitions come out so I can help gather signatures.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nandm For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (06-27-2013), Lyoness (07-05-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dismember

July 20th! (I volunteer for Basic Rights Oregon.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isaiah For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (06-27-2013), nandm (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learning to live again

I rejoice along with you. I was thrilled with the news.

Rock bottom is the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. J.K. Rowling

You are so much more than the worst thing you've ever done. Fr. Greg Boyle
The Following User Says Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
nandm (06-27-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hears The Voice

As a federal employee, I received this memo today from the US Office of Personnel Management:

Quote:
MEMORANDUM FOR HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
Acting Director

Subject: Guidance on the Extension of Benefits to Married Gay and Lesbian Federal Employees, Annuitants, and Their Families

As you already know, on June 26, 2013, the Supreme Court ruled that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional. As a result of this decision, the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM) will now be able to extend benefits to Federal employees and annuitants who have legally married a spouse of the same sex.

There are numerous benefits that are affected by the Supreme Court’s decision, and it is impossible to answer today every question that you may have. Nevertheless, I want to assure you that the U.S. Office of Personnel Management is committed to working with the Department of Justice to ensure swift and seamless implementation of the Court’s ruling.

OPM will be issuing additional information covering a broader range of issues, but at this time, OPM can offer the following guidance regarding specific employee benefits that may be of particular interest:

(specific guidance on health insurance, life insurance, dental and vision insurance, long-term care insurance, pension survivor benefits, and medical flexible spending accounts followed)
Thought some of you might enjoy seeing it.
Happy Independence Day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nonsensical For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (07-05-2013), Lyoness (07-05-2013), nandm (07-03-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Night owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I am in Oregon as well and am so excited to know we are going to get a measure on the ballot to over turn the DOMA in this state and legalize marriage equality here in 2014. I keep checking to see when the petitions come out so I can help gather signatures.
Yet another Oregonian here looking forward to marriage equality hopefully this year or next. Sometimes the insane amount of ballot measures can have a good one or two mixed in!

Constant never ceasing vigilance! Madeye Moody.

There's no high like freedom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyoness For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (07-05-2013), nandm (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dismember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
Yet another Oregonian here looking forward to marriage equality hopefully this year or next. Sometimes the insane amount of ballot measures can have a good one or two mixed in!
It'll be up on the ballot in November of 2014.

It could happen before then, but it'd mean a state senator proposing a bill to change the constitution. Oregon's not totally lacking in some strong-willed reps who support SSM, but doesn't seem there's one willing to rock the boat at this time.
Hevyn (07-05-2013), nandm (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Night owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
It'll be up on the ballot in November of 2014.

It could happen before then, but it'd mean a state senator proposing a bill to change the constitution. Oregon's not totally lacking in some strong-willed reps who support SSM, but doesn't seem there's one willing to rock the boat at this time.
Hey, thanks for the info! I remembered reading about two possible initiatives coming up for this year, I thought, but maybe it was for next year or maybe they didn't get enough signatures.

It's too bad about the legislators, I would think, okay cerebral flatulence, can't remember his name, but the local guy from Ashland/So OR might be willing as there's a lot of us in Southern Oregon. Maybe I should contact his office.

Anyway, here's to hoping for marriage equality for us soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lyoness For This Useful Post:
nandm (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Night owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
As a federal employee, I received this memo today from the US Office of Personnel Management:

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing it.
Happy Independence Day.
Hey, I missed this reading about Oregon, thanks for sharing it! And how totally awesome is this! Wow, so this is what being a recognized citizen feels like. WOW!

Though I'm still working on equality as an adoptee! Nearly 50 and I still can't have my birth certificate. Oh well, another post, another battle, another day!

For today

nandm (07-05-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dismember

They haven't started collecting the signatures yet. Two weeks! I'm just confident, hopefully not too confident, that there'll be more than enough to bring a referendum. From an e-mail I got from Oregon United For Marriage...
Quote:
But they also underscore the work to be done here in Oregon – one of 35 states banning marriage for same-sex couples. For us, this work is only beginning. And it begins with the number 116,284.

A vote of the people in November 2014 is the quickest and best way to extend the freedom to marry to all Oregonians, and it starts with gathering 116,284 signatures. We just secured approval to begin circulating our petitions, and we will be on the streets across the state starting July 20th.
Lyoness (07-06-2013), nandm (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Night owl

Thanks Isaiah for being so on top of this! I'm feeling about sheepish for how out of touch I am. I will be keeping my eyes out for this petition and know all my friends will be signing it, too. Ironically a lot of us aren't into marriage for ourselves, myself included, but what it means, well we are all behind that!

Hopefully, as always, Portland to Eugene corridor will carry the day!

nandm (07-09-2013)