Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > GLBTQ in Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [9]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Telling someone youre in recovery?

Do you mention to someone you are in recovery? I am 21 and currently have been in recovery from meth, heroin, and pcp addiction. I've been sober a little over a month and I'm just never sure when or if to bring it up. I feel like if you start off with that it comes off as way too much to tell someone..but if you wait it seems like hiding. I've been talking to a guy for a few weeks now but have failed to mention any part of my hard drug use. What have you all experienced as the reactions? Should I mentionit to him, go into details? Or just kind of sweep it under the rug?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Night owl

I think it's better to be honest about it than to sweep it under the rug. But maybe just start slowly and carefully; you don't have to go into every detail right away. You might mention that you're newly in recovery and just see where that leads. If you want to be able to have a good, honest relationship with someone, it has to start at the start and build from there. And it can be a way, tho not easy, to find out if this is a person who can/will be truly on your side.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyoness For This Useful Post:
Eddie2010 (03-19-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Nothing is impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Do you mention to someone you are in recovery? I am 21 and currently have been in recovery from meth, heroin, and pcp addiction. I've been sober a little over a month and I'm just never sure when or if to bring it up. I feel like if you start off with that it comes off as way too much to tell someone..but if you wait it seems like hiding. I've been talking to a guy for a few weeks now but have failed to mention any part of my hard drug use. What have you all experienced as the reactions? Should I mentionit to him, go into details? Or just kind of sweep it under the rug?

I dont think you need to be dating anyone right now. That will distract you from what you need to be focusing on, which is your sobriety and recovery. Relationships can also cause un-needed stress, which is another thing you dont need.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nighthawk8820 For This Useful Post:
Lyoness (06-26-2013), PrettySweets (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with Nighthawk. The most important thing for you to do is focus on YOU and being sober. Having a relationship with someone, especially a new one, and being newly sober could cause stress levels to go through the roof and trigger you to relapse. Wait for a while, and get to know the sober you.

"Success will never be a big step in the future; success is a small step taken just now."
The Following User Says Thank You to PrettySweets For This Useful Post:
Lyoness (06-26-2013)