Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > GLBTQ in Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [3]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Night owl

Celebrate Washington and Maine!

I just read on the MSN website the front page article on gay marriage in Maine and another on WA state. It filled me with joy and pride and elation! I love to see couples who've been committed for 15, 20, 30 and 40 years get the recognition they deserve!

I'm not personally a huge fan of marriage but I am a huge fan of equal rights and self-identificaion. So for those couples for whom marriage is the right choice--I say an ecstatic Congratulations!

And for the huge step this means in combatting and transforming homophobia, I say to all of us--Congratulations!

And for me, turns out I can feel euphoria without drugs! This has me so thrilled! Seeing US portrayed as living, feeling, LOVING, complex HUMAN BEINGS....that is so powerful. And powerfully reparative and healing to the damage done to myself and all of us for no valid reason whatsoever!!!

I loved this, from one of the articles, shows how loving our families are: "Suzanne Blackburn and Joanie Kunian, of Portland, were among those in line to get their license at midnight, but they didn't plan to wed immediately. One of their grandchildren wanted them to get married on Valentine's Day." (from MSNbc)

So--Hooray!! Let's celebrate!!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lyoness For This Useful Post:
catallus (12-29-2012), Coldfusion (01-29-2013), Dee74 (12-29-2012), MsJax (12-31-2012), nandm (12-29-2012), NekoNeko (12-30-2012), Sasha4 (12-30-2012), soberlicious (12-29-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Euphoria without drugs is pretty awesome indeed. I never though it would be possible for me to feel euphoria without my drugs of choice (which included alcohol). But now I can. Reality is actually pretty cool once we get used to it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChristopherThor For This Useful Post:
Eddie2010 (01-22-2013), Lyoness (12-31-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you so much for this positive post! Being able to feel euphoric without being in an altered state is most definitely something to celebrate! I'm nine days sober today - and I already feel so happy!

Washington is generally really cool - but I feel especially proud to live here after this last election. The fact that the majority of people/voters here were able to use facts and reason to decide something controversial and new that affects the personal lives of many people was absolutely awesome! Same-sex marriage became legal on Dec. 9th, and the news coverage in Seattle that day was absolutely fantastic. The stations cut into normal viewing throughout the day to show the couples lining up at the courthouse downtown, with lots of interviews and footage of weddings. There were even custom graphics (interlocking same-sex rings, and rainbow flag-type things) on screen! The reporters seemed incredibly excited as well, and really made an effort to treat it like a positive, historic, special event. Several venues and upscale hotels in seattle offered free or incredibly discounted receptions for newly married couples that weekend as well. It was all very, very cool, and tears came to my eyes several times throughout the day.

So, yes - so much to celebrate! We can and should be proud of who we are, and of the diversity and individualism we contribute to society. We all know how much better life is while we're sober, and with so much of society accepting and celebrating diversity, we must remember to appreciate and celebrate!

Thanks again for this! I'm heading to rehab first thing in the morning, and your post reminded me that I'm making the right decision!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NekoNeko For This Useful Post:
Lyoness (12-31-2012), MsJax (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherThor View Post
Euphoria without drugs is pretty awesome indeed. I never though it would be possible for me to feel euphoria without my drugs of choice (which included alcohol). But now I can. Reality is actually pretty cool once we get used to it.
Real life can definitely be cool. I'm new to recovery, so I apologize in advance if I say or ask something inappropriate, but do you find that the better reality gets, that you forget how bad substance abuse is/was? I'm sure it's part delusion, part brain chemistry - but the happier and better I feel, the less I remember how horrible the substance use was. I start to feel amazing, and begin to think things like: "It wasn't so bad", or "I look fine", or "I only got fired once...that isn't uncommon!", or "I only lost three friends; they weren't good friends anyway!". And then: I suppose I can do it once more...It's fine!

I guess this is the hard part...Working every day to remember and grow and refocus. I have so much to learn...

Awesome that things are going well for you! Congrats on experiencing joy in reality!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Night owl

Hi NekoNeko! Thanks for sharing what happened in Seattle. That sounds incredible. I know when I read articles, see pix or video coverage that's positive, it brings tears to my eyes too. Having people really reach out and be supportive and kind and happy for us....it's just incredible.

I'm glad, and grateful, my post was helpful to you. That's terrific you are going to rehab. It would be great to hear about your experience. You can post here or in the Newcomer's section which is a lot busier. I really wish you well in that experience.

If I can reply to your second post, too. I think it is absolutely normal and usual that we forget the bad times and just remember the "good" times. That's why so many of us relapse. We have to remind ourselves of the reality of the situation to help us stay on track in recovery.

Take care.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post

If I can reply to your second post, too. I think it is absolutely normal and usual that we forget the bad times and just remember the "good" times. That's why so many of us relapse. We have to remind ourselves of the reality of the situation to help us stay on track in recovery.

Take care.
Thanks for the reply, Lyoness!

Yeah, it can be such an endless cycle, and I'm exhausted by it at this point! Hopefully, I'll learn about specific tools or exercises I can use to help me remember. I previously thought about making a giant poster with pictures of my family and friends on it, with the words "Give these people your absolute best EVERY DAY!!!" - or something along those lines, on it. (Of course, I never did...)

Do you use any tools or techniques to remind yourself?

Thanks again for saying hi!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Night owl

Hi again. I'm pretty new to recovery, two months, so I'm still figuring out what my tools are and trying to create my "tool belt"--I got that idea from Impurrfect. I like that image.

So far I'm mostly being on SR a lot which I'm finding immensely helpful. Doing all of this reading and writing really feels like it's helping me to begin changing my thinking. And all the support is such a great gift. If I get a craving I'll come on and read or post and it helps.

I'm taking suboxone, oxy addict, so that's part of my picture. I started counseling at an outpatient rehab but let that slip away a bit, need to get back into it. I've been writing down bits of posts or quotes, too, to help me remember them later when I need them. I also like the idea of posting notes around to myself with encouragements. I've done that before with other stuff and it really really helped.

How about you?

Btw, I lived in Olympia for almost twenty years. I loved the music scene and it's so progressive and lgbt friendly. Beautiful, mtns, Sound, etc. Couldn't get used to the rain and gray skies though, ever.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

I live in a very conservative area of Washington and I was so proud when we passed this. . Onward now...
The Following User Says Thank You to MsJax For This Useful Post:
Lyoness (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
A simple guy making his way

I lived in Maine for 11 years. It's a very open and tolerant place. I found great acceptance there. More so than here in Long Island New York. Maine went back and forth so much because those against it came for out of state and organized To overturn it. But the people of Maine finally saw what was happening and voted for it. They just fined the "family" organization for unlawful tactics during the last attempt to stop free rights for all.

If you ever have a chance to visit Maine please do. It's a very special place.

You cannot see your strengths, but you gain confidence in their existence as they enable you to act.
And the results of your actions you can see.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Night owl

One of my closest friends is from Maine. She and her partner moved out west and did the domestic partnership. I wonder if they'll get married the next time they go back to visit.

Good for Maine for fining and throwing the bums out!!!

I live in a state where there's been many attempts by a hate group (that calls itself a moral family values group) to strip our rights in various ways. Thankfully they always fail!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was very happy about WA and ME as well. I'm sure Utah will be next! (joke)

Rather than wait for UT though, we had a civil union in Vermont in 2004. A lot sure has changed in the last 35 years!
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie2010 For This Useful Post:
Lyoness (01-23-2013)