Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > GLBTQ in Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [5]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

A New Day!

Hello!

I hope everyone's recoveries are going well! This is my first posting, and i just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I have an iv meth binge problem that's been going on for 8 years, and I'm finally working to do something about it. I've actually tried group counseling and inpatient rehab (for 5 hours - eek!) in the past, but never completed the services. So, I have an appointment tomorrow at 10:00am to tour another rehab place - and I will go - yay!

My question is this: Have any of you had experience with inpatient rehab, and what was it like? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate a lot of info online as far as reviews, what to expect, and individual experiences, etc. I suppose it's because recovery can be such a personal experience, but with Yelp, and so many other online stories and reviews, I really wish there was more info. I tried to go to a place based on their website a few months ago - but it turned out to be nothing like the description, and it was horrible, so I left after 5 hours. Of course it's been another two months of descending into darkness, and here I am...

Anyway - I hope things are going well for everyone! Any info or advice would be much appreciated. I'm also available if I can be of help to anyone else...

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to NekoNeko For This Useful Post:
Mattcake (12-28-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Life the gift of recovery!

Hi and welcome to SR.

I don't have any experience with either meth or inpatient type treatment programs. I am a recovering alcoholic who utilizes AA to stay sober. But I wanted to say hello and welcome and also let you know that we don't get a lot of traffic down here in the GLBT section so it might be a good idea to also post your question in the Substance Abuse section of the forums. Here is a link to that area: Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information You will be more likely to get a faster response up there.

Good luck and I do hope you are able to find peace and sobriety.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nandm For This Useful Post:
Mattcake (12-28-2012), Pixienottipsy (01-13-2013)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, and for the warm welcome! I was originally going to post in a different section, but thought I'd say hello to my fellow LGBT people. I sometimes feel more comfortable with other LGBT people when first opening up because their stories and situations can be so similar to mine. I will take your advice, however, and post there as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to say hello!

~N
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NekoNeko For This Useful Post:
Lyoness (12-31-2012), nandm (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Life the gift of recovery!

Your welcome.

I am sure you will get replies here but they may come in over a period of days where in the other section which has more people in it the responses should come in over a matter of hours. I just did not want you to be left hanging because it is a big step to work towards getting sober. Too big to be left feeling alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to nandm For This Useful Post:
NekoNeko (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Contented

Hey now NekoNeko, Welcome to SR!

I was in a 6 month residential treatment facility for drug/alcohol addiction - this was referred to as a half-way house. Myself and 17 other men lived here for 6 months; we had both large (all of us) and small groups (just the guyz with the same counselor) where we discussed issues on addiction and recovery. We discussed our actions and reactions previous to recovery and learned new healthier methods of dealing with stress and emotions - learning that there are other ways of responding to events; that the only thing we can control is our own actions/response to any particular event.

Along with groups, one-on-one counseling delved a little deeper, looking inside to begin the process of getting to know and understand myself; this was very helpful.

And of course, there was the structured environment. This was an AA geared program, so we had mandatory AA meetings out in the community daily, along with internal meetings and scads of rules and chores scheduled throughout our day. The structured environment was necessary to build a sense of responsibility and discipline - two things I completely lacked, but are soooo essential to my program of recovery...

It was not easy - but I gave myself over and believed I could rebuild my life - and I did - and rehab gave me the understanding to build a solid foundation on which to build my life. It was well worth it. After release from the program, I chose to adopt this new way of life and began the suggested 12-steps of recovery - wow, they really will make a difference if you allow them.

I didn't mean to go on like this.. it's early and I'm enjoying coffee........
I hope I answered your question - whether it's residential or hospital setting, you can expect to look inside; that's where it's all happening.

Best wishes for you, and keep at it no matter what - recovery is worth the price of admission..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catallus For This Useful Post:
Lyoness (12-31-2012), Mattcake (12-28-2012), nandm (12-28-2012), NekoNeko (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts, catallus! I really appreciate it.

Over the past few years, I've been really insulated/isolated during my binges, and subsequent "recoveries" from them, and I barely leave the house. I think my response to the first rehab situation I went to was a combination of the shock of something new, plus their structure, or lack thereof. It was really disorganized, and there wasn't anyone there to "hold my hand" at first, when I was super vulnerable, and didn't know what to expect, are even what to do or where to go. The rooms were tiny and smelly, the showers were communal, and there didn't seem to be as much diversity among the patients as I had imagined. It felt like what I'd imagine a juvenile detention center to be like, and I basically panicked and ran out the door.

So, yesterday, I toured the other facility, and It was much more along the lines of what I had hoped for, and the person I met with was extremely kind and helpful. It seemed very structured, but with much more privacy, plus, was a bit cheaper. I have an intake appointment for Monday morning, and I'm really grateful to be starting the New Year with actual change!

Like you spoke about, I'm excited about learning to look inside myself, and to dig deeper to find out what/who's really there, and to begin growing and healing. I used to have an amazing life, and I want to have it back!

I'm enjoying a delicious homemade latte myself, right now - so I completely understand you enjoying your coffee in the morning. When I'm being good, it's the one thing that can always motivate me to get out of bed! Thanks again for your kind reply...I'll check back here in a few weeks, and maybe post my objective reviews of these experiences if anyone is interested. Maybe that can be my contribution to SoberRecovery!

Thanks again for taking the time.

~N
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NekoNeko For This Useful Post:
catallus (12-30-2012), nandm (12-29-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Contented

It sounds like you found a much more suitable rehab to begin your recovery in. It's important to be comfortable; and please remember how comfortable of a place it is if you begin feeling... uncomfortable - just don't leave, give yourself a chance to know you again.

And yes, please do post how you fared in treatment and how things are going with you. We'll be here if you need us.

Wishing you the best; I hope all goes well

The Following User Says Thank You to catallus For This Useful Post:
NekoNeko (12-30-2012)