Calling all Suboxone experts!!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Calling all Suboxone experts!!

I am trying to gather as much information as possible about Suboxone. I have a hearing coming up and I know my ex is still using Suboxone. I have this gut feeling that he is sticking just to Suboxone now so he can pass the hair follicle test and once that is done I believe he will go back to adding in his other DOC. I am asking for the 16 panel hair test which from what I read covers Buprenorphine. I am sure my ex will try to present this as a miracle drug which I understand if used as directed can help lots of addicts. However, my ex has admitted to being addicted to it and taking it for years amongst other meds such as Xanax, adderall, steroids and alcohol. If asked as to my knowledge of the drug I want to be very prepared to answer. I have done a lot of research on it but I am still interested in others input. Thank you for your help!!
Old 12-13-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sunshine,

I am NOT an expert - All I know of is my son's experience with it. He does not abuse it, he takes it as directed, he doesn't experience a "high" from it and he is monitored by a well respected addiction doctor on a regular basis.

It has helped him - one day he'll have to give it up, but that is between him and his doctor.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Suboxone can cause impaired mental capabilities, so IMO he shouldn't be allowed to be alone with your child if he is taking it. He certainly shouldn't be allowed to drive her around while on it. Don't know if the judge would agree, though. I would print out as much info about it as possible and give it to your lawyer.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not an expert, but at the prescribed dose, once your body is used to it, does not cause driving impairment. I don't know that that would be the same when abused recreationally.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If it's legally prescribed, the judge won't have anything to say about it.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Legally prescribed things can be abused though and he doesn't have a prescription for it....although I'm aware that he may very well now go and get one. He has stated in multiple texts/emails that he "is addicted to it." I know this is going to be a hard nut to crack being that a) he can get a prescription for it to back it up b) he can defend the benefits of the drug. That's where I have to come in and show that he is abusing it and it is causing more harm than good.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sunshine1234,

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, have not ever even seen a pill or sub-lingual tab. But my daughter has and she has told me a bit about her experiences with it.

First, let me qualify her experience. She self-detoxed twice with no medical supervision, once from Oxy / Opana addiction and once from IV heroin -- so she knows something about withdrawal from opiates.

She was given Suboxone as part of a 5 day, rapid detox program at her first rehab. Does not get the user high when taken as directed. Suboxone in this case is used to "take the edge off" of the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.

She relapsed (long story) after remaining clean for almost two years ; figured it out pretty quickly; searched for a rehab and quit using heroin. She had things which needed to be done while she waited to be admitted to rehab - moving out of her apartment, etc. Withdrawal was pretty nasty and she was buying Suboxone off the street - since she had worked at a detox facility for several months she was pretty well versed in dosage, etc. Sometimes she could not get Suboxone and would use a much smaller amount of heroin when she got really dope sick - just enough to get her through.

There are people who have been legally "maintained" on Suboxone for years - similar to the more familiar Methadone programs. I like to think that these programs are good things; if Suboxone or Methadone helps an addict enough so that they can be self-supporting and societally productive, I guess they are worthwhile. However, my daughter and I share the belief that years long Suboxone or Methadone regimes are just alternate addictions which happen to be legal and generally sanctioned by the State.

Finally, I have read that totally quitting Suboxone is more difficult / unpleasant than quitting heroin -- others here at SR especially in the Forums titled "Substance Abuse" or "Suboxone / Methadone Maintenance or Detox" can offer more personal experiences.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 12-13-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunshine1234 View Post
Legally prescribed things can be abused though and he doesn't have a prescription for it....although I'm aware that he may very well now go and get one. He has stated in multiple texts/emails that he "is addicted to it." I know this is going to be a hard nut to crack being that a) he can get a prescription for it to back it up b) he can defend the benefits of the drug. That's where I have to come in and show that he is abusing it and it is causing more harm than good.
I would hope that the judge would have a problem with it if he doesn't have a prescription for. Hopefully he doesn't end up going to get one, but if he does it'll be harder to abuse it because doctors check the level that's in your urine every time you see them.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
Sunshine1234,

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, have not ever even seen a pill or sub-lingual tab. But my daughter has and she has told me a bit about her experiences with it.

First, let me qualify her experience. She self-detoxed twice with no medical supervision, once from Oxy / Opana addiction and once from IV heroin -- so she knows something about withdrawal from opiates.

She was given Suboxone as part of a 5 day, rapid detox program at her first rehab. Does not get the user high when taken as directed. Suboxone in this case is used to "take the edge off" of the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.

She relapsed (long story) after remaining clean for almost two years ; figured it out pretty quickly; searched for a rehab and quit using heroin. She had things which needed to be done while she waited to be admitted to rehab - moving out of her apartment, etc. Withdrawal was pretty nasty and she was buying Suboxone off the street - since she had worked at a detox facility for several months she was pretty well versed in dosage, etc. Sometimes she could not get Suboxone and would use a much smaller amount of heroin when she got really dope sick - just enough to get her through.

There are people who have been legally "maintained" on Suboxone for years - similar to the more familiar Methadone programs. I like to think that these programs are good things; if Suboxone or Methadone helps an addict enough so that they can be self-supporting and societally productive, I guess they are worthwhile. However, my daughter and I share the belief that years long Suboxone or Methadone regimes are just alternate addictions which happen to be legal and generally sanctioned by the State.

Finally, I have read that totally quitting Suboxone is more difficult / unpleasant than quitting heroin -- others here at SR especially in the Forums titled "Substance Abuse" or "Suboxone / Methadone Maintenance or Detox" can offer more personal experiences.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Thank you Jim...and please thank your daughter as well. It's great to get the view point from someone who has used Suboxone before. Really appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hechosedrugs View Post
Suboxone can cause impaired mental capabilities, so IMO he shouldn't be allowed to be alone with your child if he is taking it. He certainly shouldn't be allowed to drive her around while on it. Don't know if the judge would agree, though. I would print out as much info about it as possible and give it to your lawyer.
I agree with you. He made comments that he would "take a big piece" occasionally and on top of it take other meds. So that right there shows the abuse....not to mention taking it for years. It's just difficult when we are dealing with a medication that most people don't know about. I suggested to my attorney that we have a Suboxone expert testify in my case. Just happy I got him to agree to the hair follicle.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunshine1234 View Post
I agree with you. He made comments that he would "take a big piece" occasionally and on top of it take other meds. So that right there shows the abuse....not to mention taking it for years. It's just difficult when we are dealing with a medication that most people don't know about. I suggested to my attorney that we have a Suboxone expert testify in my case. Just happy I got him to agree to the hair follicle.
That's fantastic news!

There really is no telling how the judge will react. Does your attorney feel this is something worth pursuing? If not, remember that she works for you! There are so many issues I wish I had pressed, but my attorney advised me not to. I wish I had stood my ground. So I will live vicariously through you. Get 'em, girl! Pull out all the stops!
Old 12-14-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great that you're doing some research on this, preparing for what is to come. You're fantastic 😊 Try to get as much help as you can from your attorney. Wishing you the best of luck! ❤
Old 12-14-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hechosedrugs View Post
That's fantastic news!

There really is no telling how the judge will react. Does your attorney feel this is something worth pursuing? If not, remember that she works for you! There are so many issues I wish I had pressed, but my attorney advised me not to. I wish I had stood my ground. So I will live vicariously through you. Get 'em, girl! Pull out all the stops!
Yes my attorney feels it's worth pursuing but she is taking my lead on it because she had never heard of Suboxone. So I'm trying to be as knowledgeable as possible. I'm not stopping...but this is exhausting trying to stay one foot ahead of a manipulative pathological liar. We have a guardian ad litem that we have hired and she will be starting soon. I pray she sees through his manipulation and keeps my kids safe! How are you doing with your case? Did you reopen?
Old 12-14-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sodevastated View Post
Great that you're doing some research on this, preparing for what is to come. You're fantastic 😊 Try to get as much help as you can from your attorney. Wishing you the best of luck! ❤
Thank you❤️️❤️️
Old 12-23-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Suboxone is appropriate as a transitional tool while someone is actively in treatment & working with professionals (whether inpatient or intensive outpatient).
It is not intended for recreational use.
If he is using it recreationally, without professional therapeutic oversight, it is a drug, just like any drug. Any professional therapist would affirm this. I can't imagine that a judge would not be able to differentiate...
He would have to have a clean drug screen except for Suboxone & would need to have it prescribed while in a program or seeing a therapist regularly for it to be legit.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ps. "Seeing a therapist regularly" means outpatient addiction services, likely weekly at a minimum. Seeing a therapist once every few months is not considered even "outpatient treatment." In the US, intensive outpatient treatment is typically a minimum of 9 hours a week of therapeutic contact...
Old 12-26-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
Ps. "Seeing a therapist regularly" means outpatient addiction services, likely weekly at a minimum. Seeing a therapist once every few months is not considered even "outpatient treatment." In the US, intensive outpatient treatment is typically a minimum of 9 hours a week of therapeutic contact...
Thank you! I think you hit the nail on the head with this. He's replacing one addiction with another and lying to himself that he's still in active addiction. I have to keep my kids safe and make sure there are the proper safety measures in place.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am not an expert. Just a wife who has a husband who is an ex-heroin-addict. He was on suboxone for 3 years... or more. ABUSED IT ALL THE TIME.
However, thanks to the suboxone he was eventually able to stop using heroin. A LONG RECOVERY TIME. YEARS.
Good luck. My opinion is that the suboxone is a positive thing.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just sending support and hugs!