Good vibes requested :)

Old 12-05-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good vibes requested :)

Good vibes requested for my son (and me)!

My son has been clean/sober for 6 years from an opiate/prescription pain pill addiction. 7-8 years ago he tried to fill a bad prescription, pass a worthless check and sell a car that was in my name all to feed/fuel his drug addiction. For the bad prescription he was offered a drug diversion program where he took random UAs for a year, the program fell apart for him at the very end so he never completed it. To cover myself in the car fiasco, I reported the car stolen and the county charged him with theft by swindle. 3 warrants have been out there for the 7-8 years.

My son has been going to a community college for a couple years and wants to work in some sort of human services so he is trying to deal with the legal issues and has court dates scheduled throughout December. Please send good vibes his (and my!) way so that the courts see he is making an effort to be a better person and wants to help others on the same path in some way.

Thanks from a mother who has been helped by the support of the community here!
Joan
Old 12-05-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

You got it...good vibes coming your way.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good vibes are all yours! Hope everything works out for you and your son!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update! Sending positive thoughts and energy your way!
Old 12-05-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JMF,

Clean & sober for 6 years -- nice!

I suspect things will go pretty well in Court, if he has had warrants out for him for 7-8 years and was not arrested....I assume that means he did not receive so much as a traffic ticket in that period. This is very good.

Wishing you both all the best of luck in getting this resolved so he can move on.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 12-05-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Jim; things should go well!

All sorts of good vibes coming your way
Old 12-09-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whew, we made it through that 1st scary court date. Took less than 15 minutes and he was given an actual court date in January.

He had another appearance this morning for the bad check. My son didn't even go in the court room, his lawyer breezed in told us to "hold on" was in & out of the court room in short time with a court date in February.

We clearly saw the discrepancy between public defenders and a private lawyer at work. It is very sad that the way isn't paved more easily for public defenders who have many, many clients to try to help. I wish there were some career or something I could get into that would help - but I'm 56 years old . . . is there really enough time to make any difference?!?

Together we'll be paying the private lawyer for a very long time but we wanted the best possible outcome. I wouldn't have done it during his drug addicted days but he has come so far and has plans for his future. Each decision to help or not, support or not, believe or not has to be weighed, thought out and made carefully - for me and for each and every one of us.

Thank you all for your support and good thoughts.

Last edited by JMFburns; 12-09-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added another thought!
Old 12-09-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

How wonderful that your son has 6 years clean! Big hugs to both of you, I remember when times weren't so good. You have come so far and so has he.

My prayers go out for good court outcomes, his actions have proven that he is a changed man, facing the charges shows he takes responsibility and will accept the consequences.

From where I sit, regardless of the court outcome, your son is already a winner and should be very proud of his accomplishments.

Hugs from one mama to another.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sending you some good vibes. I wish you the best
Old 12-09-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The caring mother and the returned son have every ounce of compassion, GV's, prayer, mental happy waves- whatever it takes, that I can spare.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your son is a winner, as Ann said. Being clean and sober for 6 years shows his determination. Sending prayers that all goes well for him when he goes to court.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations to your son on being sober for 6 years and taking responsibility for his past actions. Much respect to him and you both.
Sending you both lots of good juju!!
Old 02-02-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Update:
My son was given 2 years unsupervised probation for a drug charge from 2008-2009. (He tried to fill a fraudulent prescription for oxycontin and was arrested. He completed 11 months of a 12 month drug testing program and then never resolved that and never went back to court. A warrant was issued for his arrest.) Fast forward through hell and back again, he was taking some pictures of a hawk on the side of the freeway in November of this year and a highway patrol stopped to advise us it is illegal to stop on the side of the freeway if it isn't an emergency (Who knew!?!?). The highway patrol ran both of our information and my son was arrested for his outstanding warrants. (It made a good story to tell in jail, that he was arrested for taking pictures of a hawk!)

He still has a fraudulent check charge case and theft by swindle (he tried to sell my cars on craigslist) case still to resolve. Both of these are from the 2008-2009 time as well.

He just keeps showing up to each appointment. He's gathered letters of support from his addiction doctor and me, he put his own story down on paper and has gotten an updated chemical dependency evaluation done. It has been a slow process, but each little step has felt so good to him. He got a drivers license! He hasn't had one of those in so many years.

Just wanted to give you an update.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

JMF,

So is there a new court date(s) set yet?

Wishing you and your son the best of luck!

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 02-02-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

awesome update! He is doing what responsible and committed people do, take accountability and rectify their wrongdoings. Excellent!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That sentence is very "doable" for someone like your son who has been doing all the right things now for so long. I hope the further charges are as forgiving, with good support and 6 years of recovery, I suspect the judge will be lenient and kind.

Big hugs to you, for all you have been through, and a big hug from your son from the lady in Canada who is so very proud of him for taking responsibility and moving forward.

Hugs
Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The place I've come to in loving & parenting an adult addict daughter is that I withhold aid when she is actively using & then throw down the support when she is clean & sober.

It sounds like you are doing the same, & your son is doing his own work in sobriety too. Facing old transgressions can be overwhelming, and I'm sure it means a lot to him that you are standing beside him, helping him to get capable legal support, and paying attention to his quest to right & finish the past.

I'm glad you posted this, because sometimes, families dealing with addiction who are being advised to disconnect despair that this means forever (& sometimes it does). But - clean & sober also happens - & it makes me feel happy when a family swoops back in to rally around & support a family member who has made great & difficult changes in their life!

I send good wishes from my corner of the world to you & to your son. Power up!! Energy from New Orleans!!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you Heartcore, this is my feeling exactly! I am standing by my sons side to go to court in February to address two infractions and hopefully he can get a payment plan. I am also taking him to his Misdemeanor case on March 1 where he can show the judge he is in a program, has a job and can pay his fines. He also found out he can get his license, which is HUGE for him!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((hugs))

Last edited by CherryVanilla; 02-04-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: error
Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Our shared lives last for forever.

As parents who love, we just have to throw down when they are doing their best.

Not when they are slaves of addiction, but when they are working hard at changing.

It matters. I do believe it matters.
Can we do otherwise?

All of us need support. That also lasts forever.