Does anyone have info about interventions?

Old 11-15-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone have info about interventions?

Hi all - I'm considering planning an intervention for my son who lives in a different state now and won't talk to me... he's addicted to heroin and left home because he wouldn't take our suggestions about rehab and treatment (which he really, really needs...)

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with interventions? What's the success rate? What do I need to know in order to make this work?

Thank you.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I don't have specific information, but I know that interventions are best done with the help of a professional who can keep the emotions of the people involved from getting out of hand.

I'm not sure how old your son is, but he may not agree to this. Or if it is a surprise, he may just walk away from it and leave you all sitting there.

Although I think interventions, properly done, may sometimes help the process, in the end it's up to the addict to reach out for help for themselves. We can't make them get clean, oh God how I wish we could.

Others may have more and better information, those are just my thoughts and may or may not apply to your situation.

My prayers go out for your son and your family.

Hugs
Old 11-15-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, you're going to need to have treatment lined up for immediate access when you do this thing.

I would start by calling the rehabs that do interventions - or at least contact some rehabs in the area. You'll need professional help.

It doesn't do any good to give an ultimatum without a solution offered and ready to use.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I looked into it. A professional intervention is thousands of dollars and like mentioned above, often does not go very well and you still have to pay. I understand the desperation, but think carefully before you get involved with this. I think the better idea is to have a rehab lined up, and do the intervention yourself. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Where I live (Ontario) rehabs wouldn't hold a spot on my request, my son had to call and make the arrangements himself. I suspect they needed to know he WANTED to be there or the entire process is a waste of everyone's time.

It may be different where you live.

Hugs
Old 11-15-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your feedback.
I am still trying to make peace with the idea that I can't force him into anything... but it's hard. Right now I feel that this is something that I have to try, as a last-ditch effort.

I called a few interventionists and you guys were right, they charge way too much for us to afford. I think I will try to work out a counseling meeting with one of them just to get some pointers.

His sober friends are onboard and started working on locating detox and rehab programs.

My son is 24 and will eventually make his own decisions... but I am his mother and I have to do what I can to protect him from his self destructive decisions.

Again, thank you all. I will keep you posted on how things go.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

At 24, he may be more willing to listen, than after years and years of hard use. Can you arrange counseling for him and family, to sit down and talk calmly about trying to help him (without enabling) and your concern for him?

In the end, he has to be willing and really want to get clean. If that isn't in place, everything else may just be wasted energy (and money) on your part.

My heart knows your pain and my prayers go out for you and your family.

Hugs
Old 11-16-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Praying that your son takes this help. Mine is not communicating and doesn't want the help. After my 6 years of "fixing" the problem, I cannot continue to force the choice. I am praying my JJ finds his way back too.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello, I have two sons in this crazy world of addiction. I did have some success with one of them with an intervention that the facility I lined up offered. he didn't come to do with me but he helped me with words and direction, so not to have all the emotion involved but why it needed to happen, for him to live.....it worked he got in my car next morning and agreed to do treatment. he helped me so much to find the words I also looked on line for some pointers on setting up an intervention, its not like the TV when its your own flesh and blood Please reach out and go to meetings for yourself you will find the help and support you need to get thru this