Syringe

Old 09-18-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Syringe

If someone is injecting heroin, does that have to mean they are an addict?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

not necessarily early on, but it is certainly the fastest track TO addiction. graduating to injecting drugs signifies a very big problem.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well... It isn't a good sign. No one really starts out injecting heroin, usually there's a build up. Percocets, Oxys, ect. Even if they are doing heroin usually there's an addiction budding that is leading them to throw all morals and sense of right and wrong out the window to begin actually injecting heroin into your body.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

most likely
Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My personal experience with my son was by the time we saw the needle it was too late he started with percs and couldn't afford his needs so switched to heroin. It is an immediate game stopper
Old 09-20-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Injecting is a sign that pills or snorting drugs isn't producing a fast enough high. Injection is the quickest way to get high which means there is an addiction issue. It's difficult to not be an addict if you are injecting anything into your veins. Sorry to be so blunt
Old 09-21-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can only tell you my daughter's use progression.

She started out swallowing opiate pills - Percocet, Vicodin, Oxy, Opana; on to using the same pills except now she crushed and snorted the pills (faster high as crushing negates the "time release" design of the pills); her money begins to run out and she knows that she is addicted at this point -- if she does not use, she gets "dope sick" - early withdrawal sets in; moves to snorting heroin because it is considerably cheaper; moves to IV heroin use.

Based solely on her use pattern, I would say that your IV user is an addict.

I am certain this is not what you wanted to hear.

One day at a time,

Jim
Old 09-21-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Loreal - I'm glad you found us here. My husband's story is very similar to others. Started with pain meds (his were un-prescribed), took them orally at first, then snorted, then moved on to the cheaper alternative - heroin, then began IV heroin use. This became his drug of choice and method of choice. He is an addict. He admits this.

We once had a discussion that started with me asking him the question - "Do you think everyone who tries heroin can become addicted?" He said no, and told me of one person who used to buy heroin from one of his dealers more sporadically. He saw him only every once in a while, when this person wanted to buy some for whatever reason. He was not a habitual user. So, if he was telling me the truth, it sounds like some people can use periodically and not become addicted.

However, the odds are not in their favor. And, as stated above, when someone moves on to IV heroin use, it is likely they've developed and addictive habit that may have more control over them than they'd like to readily admit.

Please remember, there is always help available. My husband had convinced himself many times that there was not help available for him, but there is.

Last edited by hope778; 09-21-2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo