Advice most appreciated

Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice most appreciated

Hello I normally don't post in this group but I really need some advice. I will try to keep this short. I have a 26 year old niece who has been an addict of various drugs and cutting since probably 11-12 years old. She has had several stints in jail and rehab. She is currently in Phoenix House in TX. Last September she had a child that was taken in December of last year when she abandoned her in the front yard with several infections and open sores. She has a court date where her parental rights could be severed in October that she won't be able to attend because she doesn't get released until December of this year. Also just found out she has another open warrant and will most likely be arrested again when she is released. She is asking the family to "foster" her daughter so that she can keep her parental rights. My sister in law lives in TX is in her 40's with 3 children and I am 55 in Ohio with grown children. The child is currently in foster care in TX and the family is willing to do an "open" adoption. We have been sent pix and she looks well and happy. My mother in law is pushing for my husband and I to take the baby but I don't know if that is in the best interest of the child. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The child is happy where she is. I think the child's happiness and wefare is the most important thing here.

The foster parents are keeping in touch with her family while protecting her from the neglect she has suffered. Moving her would probably be traumatic.

In the child's best interest please ask mother in law to back off. Be the voice of the child and let her stay safe with good people.

Prayers out for all of you.

Hugs
Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann that is what I needed to hear. I couldn't imagine ripping her away from the only family she has known. I don't know what I would do without the SR family.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Always-always what's in the best interest of the children. And as hard as that decision may be, it always has to be what's best for the child.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would definitely leave the child where she is. The well being of the child should come first, in every single situation. If the child's mother is truly accepting healing, she will accept that as well.

Tight hugs.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. You are all such a blessing..