New IOP Program

Old 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New IOP Program

I have not written much in the past couple of weeks about my own family; things were/are going well.... for my son, and also for me as I've not been feeling the overwhelming panic lately.

I had written previously about my son trying to get into an IOP and getting the run-around about who does/does not accept his insurance. Well, he connected with a program, very close to home. He signed up and was evaluated last week, and tonight is his first group session. Crossing my fingers. I know it started at 5, and he'll either call me after or come home after. I'm hoping it's worth all the trouble he went through to get into it.

He wanted to get into a program, but then he connected with an NA sponsor who he's built a great relationship with and is doing great working with him. I'm hoping the program he's in now is a good one, and will augment the progress he's made with meetings, sponsor and private therapist.

I know at his previous IOP he told me that when they had their break to go out and smoke, guys would come around, looking to sell drugs. My son actually told the counselor what was going on, and then a counselor started going outside with the group for break. How disgusting!! Ok, so THERE would be a good place for the local police to hang around and bust balls -- of the people trying to interfere with others' recovery!!

I just feel that he so well connected with the sponsor, I almost wish he didn't get into an IOP which might or might not be as good as the sponsor relationship. However, for his "pending issue" being in an IOP program with weekly testing, etc. is something in his "plus" column. So he's in.

Anyway, crossing my fingers that the IOP program (actually I think they put him in OP, not IOP because he told me he'll be going 2x/week, not 3) is well run and gives him some good coping strategies.

Have a good night everyone. I've been reading some posts on here that make me so sad. I hate addiction. I hate what all of you (us) have to go through. Be well.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like your son is doing what is next, good luck to you and him in his recovery!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I consider these things tools in his toolbox. Hopefully he will keep up with the sponsor even when doing IOP. You just cannot have enough support.

There are always going to be ways for him to find drugs, they are everywhere. He is going to have to build up ways to resist, which is hopefully what these programs and sponsors will help him do.

Hugs.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sponsorship and OP do not cancel each other out. they should in fact, complement each other!!!!! time to step back now and let him walk his path.