Counseling starts today

Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counseling starts today

And I am overwhelmingly anxious. I am a very private and somewhat introverted person. So talking about things going on in my life with strangers is anxiety inducing... Plus there is so much inside I don't even know where to start and how to sort it out. Just hoping I will be able to be completely open and honest and really start getting it out.

Pray for me. Send good vibes. Well wishes will do too!

Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sending you a hug. I'm the same way and it took a few tries to find a good fit in a therapist, but when I did she was a life changer.

Wishing you well...
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wishing you a good first session. I'm the same way. Talking to a stranger about my life??! Eventually I decided I needed to, and it really really helps.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is awkward but after a few sessions it seems things just role off the tongue We all hold so much in. I found a great deal of help with my counselor she also was a trained addiction counselor so she was very good for me because she talked the talk I had just been learning and really helped me with my codependency! Best of luck to you give it a few times to work
Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My first therapist was dreadful, all she kept saying was "deal with it" and "get over it"...as if that helped anything.

I am glad I didn't give up, two therapists later I found a woman who listened patiently and who offered me very good suggestions on how to deal with anxiety and exercises to do to try this out. She was so good that I no longer needed my anxiety medication, and combined with my meetings I found myself again and a better way to live.

Good luck, I really hope this helps you and just reaching out like this shows courage on your part.

Hugs
Old 06-23-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I think it went well. There were a bunch of tears that sneaked up on me and came out on their own. Felt a lot like an out of body experience. Like I couldn't control them/keep them in anymore. I could have sat there for hours and poured everything out. But it was a good start. And I've got some homework to do for next week.

This is only the beginning, but I am hopeful. Still mourning my quickly deteriorating marriage and the pain I am likely to keep enduring for a bit, but really trying the best I know how.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Every single time I have went to counseling, Celebrate Recovery, or any support group, I cry at first. It never fails! I think it's just pent up and you are in a safe place so you let it go, or at least that is how I felt about reflecting on it later.

I just finished up a six week session with my pastor who was doing a bible study/counseling with me weekly, I cried for the first four sessions LOL. However, he has helped me immensely!

Tight hugs. Keep going, keep crying, whatever you need to cleanse your own soul and get the support you need!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first time I saw my therapist she asked, "So how are things going?" Whereupon I burst into hysterical, ugly, crying too hard to talk crying for ten solid minutes. When she could get a word in edgewise, she said, with the perfect dry note in her voice, "So, you seem a little depressed..."

I then burst out laughing. She was awesome.

Glad you found some help!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One thing I didn't expect when I was in therapy, was that no matter how well or not the session went, I would come out of there totally exhausted! It gets better.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Every single time I have went to counseling, Celebrate Recovery, or any support group, I cry at first. It never fails! I think it's just pent up and you are in a safe place so you let it go, or at least that is how I felt about reflecting on it later.

I just finished up a six week session with my pastor who was doing a bible study/counseling with me weekly, I cried for the first four sessions LOL. However, he has helped me immensely!

Tight hugs. Keep going, keep crying, whatever you need to cleanse your own soul and get the support you need!
Celebrate Recover is my counseling. It's been so helpful to have people just listen to me, and I think it's really helped with my fear of public speaking. In fact, as unhappy as I am with how things ended in mediation yesterday, I have to say I spoke clearly and confidently. I don't think I would have done as well if I wasn't getting so much practice in CR.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Amen. CR has helped me in ways I did not even think possible. It's an amazing program!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Crying is good....it is for emotional release and is a natural human response....I am a big fan of it...lol....
Mother Nature gave us the ability for a reason....

It helps us to get the negative energy out of our body....
Stuffing our feelings and emotions can be very destructive....emotionally and physically....

dandylion
Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ariesagain - That's funny! I had some unexpected laughter in my meeting too - which was completely needed!

Sephra - YES! I felt so exhausted afterward and for the rest of the afternoon. Went to sleep early. Man, emotions are exhausting!

Hechose/Hopeful - I have heard of CB before. That very well may be my next step after the counseling is done. This should last about 10wks or so. Is CB similar to Alanon/Naranon setting?

Dandy - Yes... I've stuffed myself full of emotions for too long. I feel like a balloon that was pricked with a pin needle, and now emotions/thoughts/everything is slowly beginning to seep its way out. I think once I really realize how helpful that is I will volunteer more and more info just to feel better afterward!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so happy you have started counseling- I am a HUGE believer in the power of counseling and I truly 100% believe that counseling can be an invaluable tool.

It can be daunting and scary when you first start counseling, but the more you go the more you will know your counselor and you will create a relationship with him or her. The more you go the easier it will be to open up and talk with your counselor. The homework they give is also really important and has really helped me move forward.

I am happy the first session went well, I have been going to my counselor for almost 11 months and I still find myself crying sometimes. Crying is good, it is you releasing emotions, anger, and just plain ole feelings. Keep it up, it will be worth it
Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Celebrate Recovery is similar to Alanon, yes. It is faith based, and goes through steps,etc.

Difference is that everyone meets in a large group to start, then break out into small groups according to your need. Chemical Dependency, Codependency, etc. Men w/men, women with women. Many of them serve a meal before if you are interested, and many also have age appropriate classes for children as well, or babysitting is free at ours if your child is too young or does not want to participate in the classes.

Definitely worth trying out, it's a great program!
Old 06-25-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

best wishes to you as you begin this part of your journey. I found help in Alanon meetings. To sort my feelings. Hugs to you, Joie
Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Feeling like quite the Debbie Downer today. I don't want to go to counseling today. Why do I get like this? I'd rather leave work and go lay under the covers in my bed than leave work to go talk about my life.

As I am typing this I am listening to one of my church's past sermons online which is about the importance of supporting/asking for support from family and friends. The premise is you can't go through life alone, or you will spiritually die. The pastor is so passionate about it, and it is speaking to me. Its so true, yet I fight it. I feel like I want to get away and be alone rather than fellowship or do life in front of other people.

Why do I fight it? I want to go hide out.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You fight it b/c it's hard work to dig deep! You will feel better after you go, I promise.

Facing emotions is taxing on the body and soul, but ultimately, it's very healing. Be honest when you get there, tell them you did not want to come, so they understand your frame of mind and can help.

You can do this, and it will help you in the end. You have to look at the big picture and not let yourself get overwhelmed in the steps it takes to get there.

Hugs friend. I believe in you!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
You fight it b/c it's hard work to dig deep! You will feel better after you go, I promise.

Facing emotions is taxing on the body and soul, but ultimately, it's very healing. Be honest when you get there, tell them you did not want to come, so they understand your frame of mind and can help.

You can do this, and it will help you in the end. You have to look at the big picture and not let yourself get overwhelmed in the steps it takes to get there.

Hugs friend. I believe in you!
Thank you. I hate showing people my mess. I loathe being the center of attention and I'm panicking as I'm waiting for my appt right now. I legitimately hate this. Maybe this is "normal" but it's very hard to come in these doors and talk, cry, whatever else may happen.

Living this life is hard enough. Re-living it by talking about it and explaining it to someone else is exhausting. I'd rather process it internally and continue on.

But I'm believing good will come from this. Still feeling very anxious and jittery. 😖 Rambling. Ahh.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just came across this quote -- "Vulnerability is the birth place of everything we are hungry for." - Dr. Brene Brown

Time to decide what I'm hungry for, open up, and go for it.