my son and an infection

Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my son and an infection

my son shows up today with a sore looked like a boil in his arm right where someone may shot up if that is where they may do it, does anyone know if it goes in that vein right on opposite of your elbow? or I guess any where. he has been really good and not using anything and I have been testing him but this seemed so weird, went to urgent center who said the boil got infected and gave antibiotics. I am paranoid or dead on to be worried and now have to test him to ease my insanity this would be something not his mo he doesn't live here anymore and I have seen him almost every other day but I just have that mom feeling any thoughts? anyone have experience???
Old 06-14-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would first go with whatever doctor said. IV users can get abcesses from shooting drugs that can appear that way. However, you didn't say what your son's issues/choice of drug is, so this may be completely irrelevant.

The fact that he doesn't live with you anymore makes me wonder why you would want to drug test him. Is there some kind of other arrangement you have with him, ie helping with his rent or other things that would matter if you drug tested him.

I know how it is to worry about your son when there are signs for concern, but there isn't really much you can do about him. What does he say? Most important is that you don't let it completely preoccupy your thoughts and time , especially if all seems relatively well otherwise.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

again...out of curiosity...is he right or l eft handed?

dandylion
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My past experience as an IV user I never had an abscess like that unless I was actively or recently using drugs (as Vaya pointed out you didn't say what his Drug of Choice was so again this is my experience as an Opiate user). Of course I had tons of excuses to try to explain them away (spider / bug bites probably being my favorite). I am not sure what his excuse for it was. Yes people do get abscess for other reasons, but putting 2 and 2 together (addict / location of it) I would say it doesn't sound good.

As far as location yes it does go in that vein opposite your elbow, but most addicts don't stop there. Arms, hands, legs, even feet. Left hand versus right hand eventually doesn't matter all that much either. Addicts find and use what is available to them.

As Vaya said not a ton you can do and letting it consume you doesn't help. Just makes you crazy. Take Care.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will let you know that I have never used drugs. For whatever reason, since high school (so a long time), I have had a boil on my arm a few times, once every few years it seems to pop up. At one point it did get infected and I had to go to the doctor.

So...of course I cannot say if he used or not, but I do want to throw out there that people just get boils sometimes who are not users at all.

Hugs to you!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Could be an abscess from shooting up?
Buy we can't and shouldn't jump to that conclusion.
Watch his arms carefully for any new marks or red spots near veins.

Some drugs can be shot into any tissue
but, usually not done on the arms
preferring to use unseen parts of the body.

Mountainmanbob
Old 06-15-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vaya View Post
I would first go with whatever doctor said. IV users can get abcesses from shooting drugs that can appear that way. However, you didn't say what your son's issues/choice of drug is, so this may be completely irrelevant.

The fact that he doesn't live with you anymore makes me wonder why you would want to drug test him. Is there some kind of other arrangement you have with him, ie helping with his rent or other things that would matter if you drug tested him.

I know how it is to worry about your son when there are signs for concern, but there isn't really much you can do about him. What does he say? Most important is that you don't let it completely preoccupy your thoughts and time , especially if all seems relatively well otherwise.
he has used percs on and off says he is ok and doesn't need help and yes paying for car insurance and helping little with rent but feel like he is back into the percs and really need sometype of intervention he is only 21 and a young boy 21
Old 06-15-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

he is right handed
Old 06-15-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

he told me he "use' to snort percs.... so this would be something new and scary
Old 06-15-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That makes sense for sure he works with his hands, so it could be just simple and my crazy code. mind went off
Old 06-15-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vaya View Post

His doc was perc, snorting of course, he works everyday faithfully and says hes done with them. but since I help with some bills I still randomly do tests. this would be a new choice doctor said it was an abcess he dug at it and made it look worse Could be my crazy brain in over drive. He is spending the rest of week with me cause issue with living arrangments, I need to just talk to him. He said it was a pimple that turned ugly. location is what made me so concerned
Old 06-16-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same here Abcess in crook of Arm

My daughter was on a 3 month Meth binge recently, and even though we talked daily, I thought she was doing alright. She then tells me one day, she has been bit by a spider, is running a fever and just wants to sleep.. I finally convince her to go to ER, she goes and comes home for money for Scripts.. I ask to see it and it is an abscess the size of a tennis ball in the crook of her arm.. I knew right then and there her reluctance at going to ER was her own concerns about being judged. She finally admitted to me, it was a "miss" when they miss the vein and the drug is deposited into the muscle.. It can be come infected easily and causes these abscesses.

Don't let his pull wool over your eyes... be tough and strong.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

im sure this boy needs inpatient now beats the test I gave him too afraid to do inpatient to hurt us I need words of wisdom to show him this is the only path or do I have to wait till a casualty happens god I hate this disease
Old 06-20-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We tell them we love them.
We offer to help them.
Then we wait for they must be willing.
Mountainman
Old 06-21-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i know they have to be willing but now back under my roof I have no alternative but to call it out and offer help today or cant live here it was and is my boundary drug free home......I realized how he is beating me at drug test because he has been trying on his own with suboxone and that doesn't show up in a drug test I hate this disease and that came from one of his best friends who is not willing to do intervention cause he is a kid himself but makes sense that I am not crazy
Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Suboxone is widely abused. I am sure you know that.

You are not crazy, although I am sure it feels that way sometimes. What Mountainman said above is the truth. Even though you want it to be a different way, it is not. You have a right to a drug free home, but you have to be willing to take a deep breath and let him suffer his own consequences to do so.

Many, many hugs to you. I say this all gently b/c I realize it's all easier said than done.

Curious, why do you say he is afraid of inpatient to hurt you? I doubt that. Inpatient is hard work, and no drugs. I would say he is afraid of that.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I appreciate the words you shared so I have to stick to my agreement which was drug free house I have another child to protect. I pray he is ready for help I know he doesn't want to disappoint or hurt me but he doesn't realize this is worse. or he does and he is scared for sure or not ready but I am getting myself ready for the talk no matter what.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Help some guidance, found needles

Well to look back on my post , I was so scared and blown away with that abcess and then so easily convinced it was a sist that got infected. guess easier than to think his disease has moved to H back at this house spent time having a very civil conversation thru some intervention points that I have worked with a rehab on. after 2 hours of on and off talk I gave into one more night. his sibling found needles in powder room she just told me last night late and I cant stop getting sick now what its all in and I have no control except to say again help you with sobriety and safety but this is a sober drug free house.... younger sibling found this last week and held onto it not fair this disease the way it if it is needles it just started..........................I am going to try one more talk this am but rubber has to meet the road today I need to find some strength somewhere call his dad who will throw him in car and take him to rehab maybe hes afraid of him and wants him to be proud of him

talked a lot about I can do it alone the detox then I need iop, I don't want to lose my job but again positive test, says no Iam really scared now
Old 06-22-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
My past experience as an IV user I never had an abscess like that unless I was actively or recently using drugs (as Vaya pointed out you didn't say what his Drug of Choice was so again this is my experience as an Opiate user). Of course I had tons of excuses to try to explain them away (spider / bug bites probably being my favorite). I am not sure what his excuse for it was. Yes people do get abscess for other reasons, but putting 2 and 2 together (addict / location of it) I would say it doesn't sound good.

As far as location yes it does go in that vein opposite your elbow, but most addicts don't stop there. Arms, hands, legs, even feet. Left hand versus right hand eventually doesn't matter all that much either. Addicts find and use what is available to them.

As Vaya said not a ton you can do and letting it consume you doesn't help. Just makes you crazy. Take Care.
Well needles found by sibling, with a razor blade and blood in a bathroom I hate this diease and what now this is someone who hates eye drops I cant believe this is where it is I am sick and you were right Marcus