Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

How can you forget that somebody gave you $100K+ for a down payment?

Old 04-15-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just as I suspected, my sister was on a nice campaign. She started visiting my mom more often and even brought her a pastry (for those who know my story, this is a big deal.) My mom started noticing that my sister started leaving things in the house. Anyway she told my dad that she was going to accept the offer on her/ex house, and that she needed to move back in. My dad said yes, without checking with my mom.

He said that it was hard to say no to your own daughter. I said "All you're doing is telling her she doesn't have the strength and the smarts to support herself. She's had at least three years warning that this day would come." I said that all he was doing was passing down the problem to my sister's own daughters, because once mom and dad die, my sister still won't have any idea how to financially support herself. My dad said that he would be dead anyway so he wouldn't have to witness that, and that hopefully her girls would rise up to the occasion. "Ah," I responded, "the kick the can approach." I don't think he was happy with that reply. But I said my peace.

My mom's too tired to fight this, and frankly so am I. I remembered all of you and reminded myself that this was not something I could control, and I am not married to my dad - my mom is and she's still sharp enough to stand her ground. The one boundary that my dad put up was that my sister was not to bring her pothead boyfriend anywhere near the house.

Anyway, to the $100K+. There was a discussion of how my sister and her ex would split the money for the house sale. Apparently it's 50/50, even though my parents contributed a chunk of change to the down payment. My parents asked how come this wasn't considered when they negotiated the house sale proceeds. My sister said she didn't know that they contributed to the down payment.

How in the world could you forget something like that? Hell, if $100K magically appeared in my bank account that would be an event that I would remember for the rest of my life!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'I forgot' or 'I can't remember' has got to be one of the lamest excuses known to mankind. Weird!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
How in the world could you forget something like that? Hell, if $100K magically appeared in my bank account that would be an event that I would remember for the rest of my life!
That's because you haven't done anything to alter your state of consciousness. Your sister has. You cannot expect someone in active addiction to operate the same way you do, and that's because they're incapable of it.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If I had a penny for everything my addict forgot, I'd be a millionaire.

Addicts (unless they are in active recovery for a long time) by their very nature are unreliable.

Remembering things can be inconvenient because it implies responsibility, their brains may be not functioning because of the drugs or the lifestyle effects the drugs have. The list is endless.

Bottom line, you can rely on an addict to be unreliable.

I hope you find some peace for yourself in all this. Golly, it all looks pretty much out of your control.

Prayers,