Should Steroids Be Tested For On A Routine Drug Screen

Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should Steroids Be Tested For On A Routine Drug Screen

Personally I think steroids are an under tested for substance. Should they become part of the average drug screen used by employers, the criminal justice system. rehab facilities or doctors & hospitals.

I know steroids are a little different and tougher to test for but should steroid testing become part of the standard or average drug screen what ever that is. On one hand it might add some cost but with the average person they won't be using the same schemes as millionaire professional athletes to beat test. One would think a cheaper or even outdated test by Olympic standards should catch a lot of steroid users.

Steroids are a problem with many of their adverse effects being similar to many illegal street drugs. I think many more are using steroids & growth hormone than is reported. Also many seem to be more secretive about steroids. I know people that will have no problem admitting to the common drugs like cocaine but seem to be mum when it comes to steroids.

Is it worth it to make steroids a tested for substance on the average drug screen?
Old 02-27-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think it just comes down to cost, a 5 panel drug test is standard for most.

That said, you have a good point and there are times when it might be a good idea to add this test.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The NFL tests for steroids and more recently HGH. I believe the Olympics does as well.

Outside of sports, steroid testing is unlikely to become routine for a couple reasons:

First, steroids are a wide class, and a test would need to flag controlled substances (i.e. testosterone and controlled analogs) and not for instance DHEA (an OTC analog and nutritional supplement).

Second, testosterone is most often prescribed to 50-plus men and women and transgender men for concerns involving their private area. That makes two protected classes that can argue that in having to divulge their legal use pre-employment, they suffered class AND sex discrimination by being forced to divulge an intimate detail more often than others.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissUs2015 View Post
The NFL tests for steroids and more recently HGH. I believe the Olympics does as well.

Outside of sports, steroid testing is unlikely to become routine for a couple reasons:

First, steroids are a wide class, and a test would need to flag controlled substances (i.e. testosterone and controlled analogs) and not for instance DHEA (an OTC analog and nutritional supplement).

Second, testosterone is most often prescribed to 50-plus men and women and transgender men for concerns involving their private area. That makes two protected classes that can argue that in having to divulge their legal use pre-employment, they suffered class AND sex discrimination by being forced to divulge an intimate detail more often than others.
I agree and disagree. Isn't the pre employment drug screen basically between the job applicant and the tester. They can tell the employer they failed a drug screen but not necessarily for what. Just like other substances if they are taking pain killers and provide a doctors note/prescription wouldn't the same apply for steroids, don't have to tell them why but they are on them.