OT: Good news about my mom!

Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Good news about my mom!

I wanted to shout this out from the rooftops so this is just as good as it's going to get. Essentially, my mom responded much better to radiation than the experts ever expected. The treatment that she received essentially knocked much of the cancer lodged in her brain. All the symptoms she's been experiencing now are the long-term effects of radiation, NOT cancer. The doctor said my mom's case was textbook worthy - THAT's how shocking the results were.

Her primary cancer, despite the fact that she hasn't done treatment for a year, hasn't spread, although the tumor has grown a tad.

So seven months after my mom was supposed to be dead, my mom quit hospice and is now resuming treatment.

The one sad thing about this is that my sister wasn't there to receive the news. My dad didn't bother inviting her because she never bothered to show up when she was invited. So she heard the good news secondhand.

I can't help but feel guilty that I didn't call her when we heard the news. At the same time, I'm glad that I wasn't there when she saw my parents and started saying "I told you so!!" Which frankly confuses all of us.

But onward and upward. And yes, we know that my mom still has cancer, but we're going to take any victory we can get.

And thanks you all so much for listening to me vent at all hours of the day.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

today's cancer treatments are amazing....and yet the human spirit and will to live surpasses all of it. i am so happy for your news......wishing your mom and your ENTIRE family the best.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

PuzzledHeart, I missed this earlier but just want to add my happiness for you and your mom and family.

As you probably know, both my husband and I endured and survived cancer this past year, breast cancer for me, colon/rectal for him and we were both amazed at the medical treatments available today and new medications as well that are having tremendous success in reducing the tumours to make surgery far less dangerous and damaging. We found out we both had cancer the same week and we decided right then and there that we were "living with cancer" not "dying from cancer", and that has made all the difference.

We were lucky, not everyone survives, and people like your mother may not be cured forever, but her disease may be controlled and managed for a long time.

I will keep your mother in my prayers, she is blessed to have a loving daughter like you.

Hugs