Boyfriend left me after Rehab

Old 01-29-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
OK. He comes back. You're elated. What happens next? In all probability, the following.

He starts becoming distant. You wonder what's going on. He says nothing. Then he starts not calling. Or he doesn't come home. You get worried and scared and call him out. You ask if he's using again. He denies it. But his eyeballs are pinned. Or maybe he's been drinking. And before you know it, you're right back to where you were.

Qualitatively speaking, most opiate addicts don't achieve recovery. You'll find enough anecdotal evidence here that supports that statement. So this raises some uncomfortable questions. Like what's worse: saying goodbye once and for all, or getting back together with him and going through the same ordeal again.

It is never easy to say goodbye to someone we love, Linzey It f*cking sucks, to tell you the truth. But sometimes in order for us to be well and steady, we don't have a choice. By seeking us out and posting, you were likely in a place where you were neither well nor steady. But you want to be, which is why you're soliciting feedback on how to get there.

Sometimes to get to a place where we need to be, we have to make some difficult choices, ones we don't want to make. Keep that in mind going forward.
You're right. But in my mindset I couldn't walk away without giving him a fair shot at working a strong recovery. But he doesn't want anything to do with me so there isn't much left of that hope anyway, just need to find a way to detach and move on
Old 01-29-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Linzey, I'm super impressed that as young as you are you are trying to untangle this painful ordeal.

Please keep posting; you seem like a super sharp young woman. I hope someday this experience will jell into some good solid wisdom. Hang tough and be kind to yourself beautiful lady!
Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You're right. But in my mindset I couldn't walk away without giving him a fair shot at working a strong recovery. But he doesn't want anything to do with me so there isn't much left of that hope anyway, just need to find a way to detach and move on
I owe you a pm, but had to comment on this. Like the other poster Im super impressed with you. You realize the behaviors that existed in the relationship prior to his going for rehab were not something you could see as sustainable for happiness. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be part of his recovery process. Oh goodness many people recover and you would now never know they once had an addiction. Like myself. No one can say what the future holds but the issue here is he is shutting you out and says he has let go.
That hurts. And the reasons are foggy given the circumstances. When I have facts, answers its always easier for me to reach a conclusion, make a decision or close a chapter. Life doesnt always grace us with answers, at least not when we need them most. But I feel like your processing it all effectively.

I hope your able to share this pain with some family or close friends. Maybe they can help get your mind off it for a while. I have felt a "hole" being in my life after situations like this. It takea time to fill the space for the day to day of living.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can totally identify with Linzey; I find that a weakness of this forum to be honest. Most people who frequent the forum are either living with their addicted SOs or are the parents or husbands of their SOs. But I think this non-communicative thing is not addressed enough by people on the forum. AS I've said repeatedly, I knew absolutely nothing about my gf's addiction or dependence until she mentioned it. And with each passing day in detox; she became colder, more distant and non-communicative, until she cut me off cold turkey --- to the point of even restricting me from seeing her Google + account.

So, I'm with Linzey on this; we need to hear from more addicts about WHY these people go incommunicado. I don't buy it's because they are ashamed or feel guilty or any of that. I think it's a much more selfish action; a cowardly walk-out-the-door I could care less type thing.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cloudyskies View Post
I can totally identify with Linzey; I find that a weakness of this forum to be honest. Most people who frequent the forum are either living with their addicted SOs or are the parents or husbands of their SOs. But I think this non-communicative thing is not addressed enough by people on the forum. AS I've said repeatedly, I knew absolutely nothing about my gf's addiction or dependence until she mentioned it. And with each passing day in detox; she became colder, more distant and non-communicative, until she cut me off cold turkey --- to the point of even restricting me from seeing her Google + account.

So, I'm with Linzey on this; we need to hear from more addicts about WHY these people go incommunicado. I don't buy it's because they are ashamed or feel guilty or any of that. I think it's a much more selfish action; a cowardly walk-out-the-door I could care less type thing.
I'm almost 6 months sober and I have found out that some people are supportive and keep a positive attitude about your sobriety...and there are others who sort of cut you off because of your problem, which kind of hurts. It's almost as they have decided you are a bad person and there is no hope for you...People quit all the time. I know lots people who have quit and stayed quit. I haven't cut anyone out of my life because of what I'm going through, but there are those that have cut me off and there isn't anything I do about that. I really don't feel I have become uncommunicative, but I do feel shunned by some. There was a lady at church who said to me after the meeting: "You're not doing too good!" And she said in a mean way. Someone must have talked to her because I sure didn't. That really really really REALLY REALLY HURTS! Recovering addicts need support. I can only speak for myself though. I haven't cut anyone off of blocked numbers or anything like that. Yes I don't feel free right now to contact some people because I get the feeling they don't want me to so I don't call, I don't text. I figure they don't want in their life anymore.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Im new here but was recently reminded this forum is only to discuss our recovery and not our loved ones. I think the forums mentioned we could talk about "them" were Family of Addicts, secular, substance abuse.

Please correct me if Im wrong moderators. This is my understanding.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Was he at a coed rehab?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Linzey, I hope you are making it through each day of this grieving time.

Once you are out of a relationship, you will probably find you have more time to fill. I remember one poster whose ABF left her after 10 years. She posted that she planned to learn to play the piano. I actually learned to speak Spanish fairly proficiently when I left my ABF. I was very in love so leaving the Northern Hemisphere seemed advisable; I went on an extended visit to Bolivia in South America! Let us know how you are doing.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Linzey,
I am so sorry you are going through this. I do not think it is uncommon for addicts trying to stay sober, going to rehab etc leaving the "old" behind and starting anew. I had a friend who was with her ABF for over 7 years and actually helped him kick his heroin addiction. He broke it off once he got sober. I honestly do not know why and like Zozo says, it sucks but I really do believe in some cases it is easier to leave everything behind. You may never get an answer. I know it is very hard to grasp, it hurts and is hard to let go but please trust us when we say it will be so much better for YOU to start your own healing and try to move on. Easier said than done I know. Wishing and hoping will only keep you from moving on. Work on you sweetie.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I knew absolutely nothing about my gf's addiction or dependence until she mentioned it.

if we have been with a person for a length of time, and the ENTIRE TIME they were in active addiction and WE had no clue.....we were engaged with a ghost, a mere specter of the REAL person, only what we WANTED to see. so it's no surprise that once they get into a treatment facility and begin to get a clear head, that they too realize the relationship was a sham, based on lies, and also part of their USING story. and sometimes the addict has to shuttle EVERYTHING related to their using life........

however, regardless of whether they are in rehab or Rio......when our partner breaks up with us, it's OVER. that's not harsh, it's just reality. and at that point the WHY doesn't matter, it still IS, whether we blame it on drugs or other partners or climate change. i think that is the hardest part for any of us, when stuff happens and we never got to VOTE on it. and then we are left was accepting it and moving on.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This forum is for Friends and Family of Substance abusers. I don't get your point; this forum is NOT for users in recovery, but their long-suffering SOs.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnonWife View Post
Im new here but was recently reminded this forum is only to discuss our recovery and not our loved ones. I think the forums mentioned we could talk about "them" were Family of Addicts, secular, substance abuse.

Please correct me if Im wrong moderators. This is my understanding.
This forum is for Friends and Family of Substance abusers; the long-suffering SOs. So, I don't get your point. Other parts of this website have forums devoted to users in recovery.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
I knew absolutely nothing about my gf's addiction or dependence until she mentioned it.

if we have been with a person for a length of time, and the ENTIRE TIME they were in active addiction and WE had no clue.....we were engaged with a ghost, a mere specter of the REAL person, only what we WANTED to see. so it's no surprise that once they get into a treatment facility and begin to get a clear head, that they too realize the relationship was a sham, based on lies, and also part of their USING story. and sometimes the addict has to shuttle EVERYTHING related to their using life........

however, regardless of whether they are in rehab or Rio......when our partner breaks up with us, it's OVER. that's not harsh, it's just reality. and at that point the WHY doesn't matter, it still IS, whether we blame it on drugs or other partners or climate change. i think that is the hardest part for any of us, when stuff happens and we never got to VOTE on it. and then we are left was accepting it and moving on.
I agree the end result is the same. But remember, it's hardest on those who are slapped with this cold reality without ever having a clue the person was an active user. It's NOT that we missed what we didn't want to see; we had NO clue.

I also would have never have believed that someone who was an active user could have seemed so sincere.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Im sorry if I made confusion. Recently some of us were discussing our addicts, loved ones, treatments and various things and there were a couple reminders from the moderators with the limitations of this forum. Ive been trying to keep it in mind when I post not to deviate from the intent too far. The description says

Discuss coping tools, and learn basic recovery techniques for you, not the addict.

I assumed when you asked why people dont talk about addict behaviors, or begin speculating too far on what is going on with the other side its becauase we are supposed to focus more on how we cope, how we recover and tools we use for our healing.

Im not certain I have it right but this was my understanding. I didnt know this until it was noted by the mods. Sorry if my comment was confusing.

This forum is for Friends and Family of Substance abusers; the long-suffering SOs. So, I don't get your point. Other parts of this website have forums devoted to users in recovery.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I agree. As if throwing 6 years away isn't painful enough, I don't have any answers as to WHY he decided in a span of three weeks that he doesn't feel that way about me anymore when all through rehab he called me and loved me and wanted to fix things, then when he first got out he said he just needed some space and I never gave it to him.. That's the only explanation I can give myself, that I pushed too much at first and he didn't want to deal with that but when he came out three weeks later that his feelings about me weren't the same, I was devastated with everything we went through and got through together.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Was he at a coed rehab?
Yes, but now lives in a male only sober house. He was more normal to me at rehab than he is now so I don't feel like it's a girl from rehab. Possibly girls from his OP?
Old 01-31-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Linzey and hoping you are doing okay. Are you going to Alanon meetings? And if so, have you found these helpful?
Old 01-31-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Thinking of you Linzey and hoping you are doing okay. Are you going to Alanon meetings? And if so, have you found these helpful?
When I went to see him in rehab they asked us to go to one the night we were there so we did. I enjoyed it but I also thought then that we would be working on things. I coach at night for about two more weeks and then I plan on going to some. I will keep you updated on how it works out for me!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linzey0706 View Post
Thank you everyone, everything you have all said all make sense and I know I need to move on but it's so hard to detach myself. Has anybody had any experience with boyfriends leaving and coming back? I know it's horrible to think but it's all I wish for. I just don't know if he's super confused right now or if sober he doesn't care about me as much as he says
Hi Linzey,

Most of us have a lot of experience with our addict leaving and coming back. However, if you are looking for an honest answer, it is best to let them stay away. As hard as it is to hear at the moment, he is doing you a favor.

I suggest you find a meeting and keep reading. Each of us have similar stories and have gained knowledge, strength, and comfort from one another.

Sending big hugs.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jorgenss View Post
Hi Linzey,

Most of us have a lot of experience with our addict leaving and coming back. However, if you are looking for an honest answer, it is best to let them stay away. As hard as it is to hear at the moment, he is doing you a favor.

I suggest you find a meeting and keep reading. Each of us have similar stories and have gained knowledge, strength, and comfort from one another.

Sending big hugs.
Arggg my head knows that but my heart doesn't believe it... Just caught between wanting some closure and hoping I'm strong enough for it when the time comes, if it ever does.. I also feel so selfish wanting an apology because I know that's not what his biggest concern is or should be, he needs to be healthy but I wish it was healthy and happy with ME