So sick to my stomach

Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yes, I do think that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:28 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Yes, I do think that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
Well, people can and do change. The thing is, that's their own responsibility, and those of us who are actively working to change our addictive behavior know that we don't have the right to impose ourselves on the people we've hurt.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The lack of intimacy has been going on a year you said. Maybe it is time you think about seperating? He has a right to his feelings and desires and you have a right to yours. I dont see this as a recovery issue on his part if Im to be honest. But Id say look at your recovery and be honest if you think your feelings will return. Do you have a therapist you work with alone? Maybe this person could help you sort out your side. Marriage is a two way street, and if your saying your not willing to work on whats behind your loss of interest in him, the marriage then this means something. But be sure before you act.

Originally Posted by mamaof3boyz View Post
I agree about counseling. However I can't stand to be in the same room with him. It's awful....I feel terrible about it but it's true. We've been to therapy before once for 6 months right before we got married, then again 3 years ago for another 8 months. I don't think I have the energy to do it again. Our marriage won't fix itself and I'm not willing to go to therapy with him, so maybe it's time to end this.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

If he really turns you off so you can't be in the same room with him, it doesn't look good. Even if you 'gave in' because he pressured you, it wouldn't help your marriage because you'd feel revolted.
I think it's clear he's abandoned working on his recovery, and not just because of this issue, but what you said about not going to meetings and giving up his sponsor.
With passive aggressive people it helps to ask them straight out 'Are you sulking?' Reflect his behaviour back to him.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnonWife View Post
The lack of intimacy has been going on a year you said. Maybe it is time you think about seperating? He has a right to his feelings and desires and you have a right to yours. I dont see this as a recovery issue on his part if Im to be honest. But Id say look at your recovery and be honest if you think your feelings will return. Do you have a therapist you work with alone? Maybe this person could help you sort out your side. Marriage is a two way street, and if your saying your not willing to work on whats behind your loss of interest in him, the marriage then this means something. But be sure before you act.
There were reasons why we weren't intimate for so long. I was pregnant and had awful nausea for 4 months. Then my baby was positive for down syndrome. We planned on continuing with the pregnancy but at almost 20 weeks she passed. Then a week later I found out of my husband's relapse. Then again relapsed. He came back home in August and has remained home for 5 months. So all in all beyond the hardship and drama since last January he has been home and sober 5 months and no intimacy. I understand he is frustrated but I'm feeling like he is trying so hard to get things back to normal. Which is going to take time but he is frustrated with the timing.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I would try to focus on what your doing to recover from all these things. Evaluate if its working for you, or if you need to make changes. He may be further along? He appears frustrated yes. But focus on your healing, and consider if the living arrangementa are helping or hurting you? And he will need to decide whats best for him. I feel your pain, I had two miscarriages before my daughter. Even this can drive couples apart. Life can be hard and it looks like your down in a valley, but have faith and put effort behind it and I think you will get out of it.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Well, people can and do change. The thing is, that's their own responsibility, and those of us who are actively working to change our addictive behavior know that we don't have the right to impose ourselves on the people we've hurt.
Yes I completely understand and agree. I'm not sure that is what mamaof3 is dealing with right now.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

There were reasons why we weren't intimate for so long. I was pregnant and had awful nausea for 4 months. Then my baby was positive for down syndrome. We planned on continuing with the pregnancy but at almost 20 weeks she passed. Then a week later I found out of my husband's relapse. Then again relapsed. He came back home in August and has remained home for 5 months. So all in all beyond the hardship and drama since last January he has been home and sober 5 months and no intimacy. I understand he is frustrated but I'm feeling like he is trying so hard to get things back to normal. Which is going to take time but he is frustrated with the timing.
Hey Mamaof3boyz, you really have been through the wringer. Please treat yourself with kindness specially if your husband is not capable of the kindness you need right now. Strength, courage and grace to you.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Duty sex
AKA the obligatory boink lol.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

But in all seriousness... I've read thru all of your posts, and your husband sounds very... Selfish. And manipulative. And always has been. And right now the only thing he's doing is not drinking - and that is not recovery. However, it sounds like the work you've been doing on yourself IS working and your mind is trying to tell you something. YOUR eyes are now open to what's good and what's right for YOU. I think you need to listen to your intuitions and stop fighting with it and guilting yourself and wondering if/when a switch will get flipped and quit twisting yourself into pretzels just because it's what HE wants. YOU and your desires count too.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Refiner View Post
But in all seriousness... I've read thru all of your posts, and your husband sounds very... Selfish. And manipulative. And always has been. And right now the only thing he's doing is not drinking - and that is not recovery. However, it sounds like the work you've been doing on yourself IS working and your mind is trying to tell you something. YOUR eyes are now open to what's good and what's right for YOU. I think you need to listen to your intuitions and stop fighting with it and guilting yourself and wondering if/when a switch will get flipped and quit twisting yourself into pretzels just because it's what HE wants. YOU and your desires count too.
Thank you. If I could just get past the guilt and feeling responsible because I'm the one pulling the trigger then I'd be on my way. Any advice on how to get to that point?
Old 01-22-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you. If I could just get past the guilt and feeling responsible because I'm the one pulling the trigger then I'd be on my way. Any advice on how to get to that point?
Arrrghh, I totally get this Mamaof3boyz although you may be doing as much good by pulling the plug on this marriage as an addict who pulls the plug on substance abuse. Could you try it in stages. Come clean with your husband that you don't seem to be healing from what happened in the past? Ask him for a separation? (I've never been married so take any advice again for what it is worth which may not be a lot.)

Sometimes I wish I could see myself as a separate person as I will take care of ANYONE ELSE better than myself.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Actually separating yourself was the first thing I thought of, too. Honestly talk with him... you are working on yourself and trying to heal, too. And he should respect that, not tell you what you should be doing. And he should ber concentrating on HIS recovery... not focusing on what YOU are or aren't doing for HIM. When separated, see if you miss him. If you do, start dating and see where it goes. If he doesn't respect any of your need or desire to do this, than I think there's your answer on "next steps".
Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Refiner View Post
Actually separating yourself was the first thing I thought of, too. Honestly talk with him... you are working on yourself and trying to heal, too. And he should respect that, not tell you what you should be doing. And he should ber concentrating on HIS recovery... not focusing on what YOU are or aren't doing for HIM. When separated, see if you miss him. If you do, start dating and see where it goes. If he doesn't respect any of your need or desire to do this, than I think there's your answer on "next steps".
I think you're right. Our 9th wedding anniversary is on Feb 3rd and his birthday is the 14th. I feel awful about separating now. Maybe i should wait until after his birthday?
Old 01-22-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

There will always be a reason to delay, I think. If your heart is not into the relationship right now, then you don't do either one of you any favors by prolonging the separation. If you are going to do it, do it when all of your practical ducks are in a row. It's empowering to make a decision around what is best for YOU (as opposed to him and his birthday, etc.).
Old 01-22-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Maybe i should wait until after his birthday?
Someone posted something on another thread like this and another poster offered something like "But then it's Valentine's Day and that wouldn't be very loving of me, then Spring is just around the corner and that such a season of hope, then Summer is coming and we always do so much outdoors activities together, then, then, then..." You get my drift. It's NEVER going to be easy and by delaying, you're just slowly tearing the bandaid off the open wound.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

My inner voice told me the same thing. I need to listen to that voice more often
Old 01-22-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

My inner voice told me the same thing. I need to listen to that voice more often
Yes!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Yes, the little voice inside of us is really wise and knows what we need.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Yes, the little voice inside of us is really wise and knows what we need.
Lol! Then why do we ignore it so much?