Hello to old friends and new

Old 01-16-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello to old friends and new

It's been so long since I posted here on SR, so I wanted to share a bit of my life today.

For those of you who don't know me, my name is DeVon. I am a recovering alcoholic/addict, clean/sober since August 5, 1990. I am also a recovering codependent in recovery since July of 1999. I was married to an addict/alcoholic (now deceased), and I have two adult daughters, one in active addiction, and the youngest in active alcoholism. I am also a survivor of domestic violence.

Last year was so difficult. My mother's Alzheimer's advanced at a high rate. Dad continues to care for her, along with lots of help, but the time has come to move her to the nursing home.

It's an insidious disease, and a continual grieving as the mother I once knew is dead, yet there she is in front of me when I visit. I have poured a lot of grief into acceptance, and in being supportive to my dad as best as I can. My brother (only sibling) lives on the east coast, so he came up with a wonderful idea where we all have iPad minis and are able to FaceTime with Dad on a daily basis, which helps him to cope.

I have recovered as much as possible from the auto accident last year, and things are wrapping up with the litigation. I'm just glad to be alive and have healed well from the brain injury.

Same old same old with the oldest daughter (37) who continues to abuse her prescriptions and her only goal in life is to get on disability. Not the life I would have chosen for her, but after many years I have strong boundaries with her and refuse to take a front seat to her destructive behaviors.

Now the youngest (27) is another story and I struggle with the fact that she got her second DUI barely a year after the first. We have a very close relationship. What I have to remember is I am an example of what recovery looks like, and considering that she grew up around the rooms of AA/NA, she knows where to go if she ever gets honest with herself.

As for me, I continue to learn and grow in recovery. I recently started a new job as a peer support worker for Horizons Mental Health. I see a very good year ahead because I absolutely love the job. It is 20 hours a week which is perfect in order to also address my disabilities.

Some driving out of town is involved, but my schedule is flexible and I can drive out of town one day, and not the next. I'm scheduled for an epidural next Tuesday for my blown disc/sciatica and I'll be good to go for several months!

I have done some job shadowing, have general orientation on Monday at the medical center they are affiliated with, and will go through 5 days of intensive training in the future. Certification as a peer support worker is one of my goals this year!

God is good, and all those years I have had so much emotional pain and tremendous struggles have made me who I am today, and I am grateful.

For those who are new, you have landed in the right place, among so many caring people who share their experience, strength, and hope.

I will try to get here more often in the future as reaching out to others is a huge part of my recovery.

I also need to upload more pictures of my canine crew to share!

Hugs to all!
Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((DeVon))) it is wonderful to hear from you and I am so glad that you are on the road to recovery with your health.

Indeed, you are a shining light and a beacon of hope for both your daughters...when they are ready to reach out and help themselves. Prayers out that this happens soon.

Prayers out for your mom, and for your dad too. It is so hard to watch our parents health fail and the person we used to know slip away. She is blessed to have a daughter like you and good family.

Congratulations on the new job, it sounds perfect and a wonderful new career for you. I was with you on your graduation day, through SR and everyone who were cheering you on, and I'm with you at this job too, again cheering you on and wishing you so many blessings.

I think of you often, dear friend, and wish you only happiness and wonderful days ahead and your life continues to grow in recovery.

Love you lots.

Hugs
Old 01-16-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

DeVon - thank you so much for the update. It's wonderful to know you are healing and 'absolutely love' your new job. What a blessing.

I agree with Ann - your family is blessed to have your compassion, kindness, and unwavering love.

We await new doggie pics with anticipation.

Much love to you, DeVon.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Always good to see you DeVon - welcome back

D
Old 01-16-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you, Devon.

I am sorry about your mother. I understand all too well.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It is so good to hear from you! Your posts in the past helped me more than you will ever know. Thanks for the update!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

So good to hear from you and glad things are looking up. And yes, more dog pictures.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i think i'm in the OLD friend category.....! good to SEE you. me and hank and Della Rose and Bucky say hello!
Old 01-16-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((DeVon)) - So glad to see you here. Congratulations on the new job, will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-16-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Welcome back to the fold, DeVon.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Devon, thank you so much for checking in.

I would love to see the doggie pictures!

I'm wishing you the very best in your new job.

You're an inspiration for all of us!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is so nice to see you again! I'm wishing you all the best and everything you need
Old 01-17-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you have helped me without knowing it. Thank you. I am so happy to hear that you are doing so much better and that you have a job that makes you smile.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi DeVon! So happy to hear you are doing better. Congratulations on the job and on your continued focus on healing and health and happiness!
TT