Hello I'm new & looking for advice

Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello I'm new & looking for advice

Me & my partner have been together for 9 years, have 2 children who are 3 & 3 months. I've known for a while he's had a problem with codeine & other prescription medication, but this weekend after 4 years hiding it he's come clean. ( 4 years ago he was attacked and the person broke his foot extremely bad crushed his bones he almost lost his foot, thus is when having strong pain relief came about) he's at twitted to taking 10 tablets not for pain daily just to get high.
I'm at a complete loss, our older daughter has cerebral palsy and needs full time round the clock care which I decided I wouldn't go back to work and look after our baby myself, he works self employed 40+hrs weekly. I've suffered with depression since I was 15 which has worsened since having 2 traumatic births so this is really getting on top of me.
I want to help him and support him but don't know how??
He's admitted to hiding tablets around the house, buying them when he's working & leaving them in the van, buying them off people, buying them off the Internet and lieing to the Dr to get more perscriptions.
I feel like something has happened seriously with him that's why he's come out with it?
Over the weekend he was randomly sick all over the kitchen, had flu been really poorly. I asked him to go shop with some money I gave him and when he come back it didn't add up (I found out he bought tablets and hid them) he's been having nosebleeds, diarrhoea or constipation feeling sick. I'm so worried
I'm sorry if this is all over the place.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
NFOM...

Welcome to the Board. I'm sorry for what has brought you here, but I'm thankful that you found us and took the step to post. Others will be by to greet you, but until they do, I'd like to share my thoughts.

As I understand things, there's three issues here: your partner's addiction, your daughter's medical problems, and your own depression. At this moment, the combination of the three is rapidly approaching critical mass, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

The truth is in practice, there is little you can do to help him. He's been on this path for years, and the fact that you have a sick daughter and you yourself have serious issues hasn't stopped him from using. We're not couples counselors here, NFOM. But what I encourage you to do is consider what is best for your children and for you. And what is best for your children and for you may mean you have to do something you may not necessarily want to do.

I encourage you to read as many posts as you can here. Knowledge is power, and our members have been around this particular block more times than I can count. The more you know, combined with your own moral compass, the more likely you can make decisions that are best for you.

Keep us posted, and again, Welcome to the Board.