Desperate for guidance and support

Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Desperate for guidance and support

Hi everyone,
I recently joined this site to try and gain some additional support with my current situation. I have been attending Al-Anon the last six months, but have recently started a new job an hour away from my home. The commute leaves me little time to attend as many meetings as I want (and need), but I make it a point to go to one a week at least.
Without writing my entire story here on the forum, I wanted to seek some advice and share my experience. I recently broke things off with my qualifier (boyfriend) after a year and a half of consistent relapses. Some days are easier than others, I will have good days and bad days, and I’m told this is typical/normal, and to be expected.
To summarize the recent relapse (& my personal bottom as a co-dependent/enabler/al-anon) my boyfriend had recently been living with my family. He was kicked out of his house back in April, due to a 2 week binge/bender on Cocaine/Pot/Norcos (anything he could get his hands on.) I told him I would not speak to him, or see him until he sought help. After 11 days, he reluctantly went to a psychward (he was smoking crack and had a psychotic break). He spent two weeks in the ward and then went to rehab for 28 days. He paid for the rehab out-of-pocket, and seemed to be taking it seriously and doing well. He worked the steps while in the rehab, and obliged to go to sober living. He informed me that he would only do a month OR two at a SL, but was willing to do it. During his stay in SL, he continued to go to meetings and find a sponsor. He had over 90+ clean and was prepared/insisting to leave SL after two months. Two weeks before he was getting out of SL, I was hired at an awesome job about an hour from our hometown. I began looking for apartments closer to work, and my boyfriend asked if I would consider living with him. He promised to continue working a program, working with a sponsor, AND to being randomly drug tested at home. He would pay for the majority of my rent, but my name would be the only name on the lease. I believed with my heart, that after 3 relapses this year, he was serious about sobriety. He was doing things differently than ever before, and I took a leap of faith. We found an apartment a week before he was out of SL and signed the lease. I put down the deposit of $400 and was excited to move forward with out lives.
He was discharged from his SL and my parents agreed to allow him to stay at our home for a little over a week before our lease was ready. I informed him that the expectations of being at my parent’s home, he would be expected to be sober, take a random test as needed/requested, and attend meetings. The first few days went great, I started my new job and was gone a majority of the day. He helped around the house, hung out with my teenage brother (who adores him) and handled some of his mental health needs (filled prescriptions, set up appointments, etc.) However, within 6 days or so, I noticed some strange behavior, he would have bursts of energy followed by lows of depression, some days he would be very needy and attentive and other days he was not engaging whatsoever. On July 4th, he seemed very anxious and overwhelmed. He has PTSD and I thought perhaps he was nervous over the crowds and loud noises. He had a ton of energy, was clammy, and very chatty. I asked him to take a drug test and he was devastated. “I’m with your family, on a holiday. I’m just nervous, that’s all. I have over 100 days sober, how can you question me?” “Because you are an addict, and this is part of our deal. If you have nothing to hide, please take a test.” After many tears, crying, and back and forth-he obliged. He passed the test. I do not know if he tampered with it, but I find it unlikely. However, who knows…
Cut to a few days later.. He has a bad back and told my family that he went to the VA Hospital (he’s a veteran) to speak with pain management. When he returned that evening, his pupils were constricted, even outside in the evening. Immediately I felt that something was off, he told me that his doctor had given him a muscle relaxant shot. I didn’t believe it, but had no other reason to question him, so I let it go. A few days later, I came home from work to find him helping my mom clean out the bathroom. My mom left and a few hours later he brought to my attention that he had found some Darvocet (opiate painkiller) and it made him “uncomfortable.” I proceeded to flush the pills in the toilet and thanked him for his honesty. 4 days before we were to move into our apartment things started getting very strange. I would wake up for work at 7:30 am every day and leave by 8:00am. My mother said that my boyfriend would then wake up at about 8:15am and leave the house to go get “Mcdonald’s breakfast.” He did this three days in a row. Usually this would not strike me as odd, he eats fast food frequently, but what raised a red flag was that one day he left at 8:35am and texted my mom at 9:04 am saying he was “at McDonald’s and would she like anything?” McDonald’s is only a short 5-7 minute drive from my house, but for over 30 minutes he was MIA. My mother sensed something was off and requested for me to ask him to take a test. That evening when I got home from work, I asked him to take a test. At first he was defensive, and then he got angry. Calling me foul names and yelling at me, he stormed out of the house and said he was going to get “loaded.” He continued to text me angry rants, which I ignored. The only response he received was, “if you’re sober you’ll take a test.” He told me he was “staying at a friends for the night and would take a test the following day.” The next day, he texted me again saying he wanted to stay out “one more day.” The following day he texted me telling me he wanted to come home, but “would not take a test and I would need to trust him that he was sober. We were moving in together for goodness sakes.” I told him he could not come home unless he was willing to take a test. He told me he wanted to break up, and I informed him he was making the decision for us if was not agreeing to take a test. I told him I’d leave his things outside. He showed up at my house, clearly out of it, I couldn’t tell if he was manic or high. He suffers from Bipolar Disorder and he had been without his medication for three days at this point. He seemed off, but I could not put my finger on it. He said he refused to take a test, and why don’t “I trust him,” blah blah blah. He then leaves the house, returns 15 minutes later and agrees to take a test. He then proceeds to STRIP OFF his clothing and say “look, I’m not hiding anything, I will take a test.” He goes into the bathroom and comes back out with his test. Perfectly clean. No drugs in his system. My HIGHER POWER told me this could not be possible, I knew he was on something. He then received a shady phone call from his “friend” (who I have never heard of) and says “I’m at my girlfriend’s right now, yeah, we’re discussing our apartment, I’ll call you a little later.” He then left my house and I went back to the garbage can that I threw away the test in. I opened the box and took it apart. Inside I found a vile of synthetic urine with a heating pad wrapped around it with a rubber band. He had tried to fake the test and had succeeded. At that moment I knew I could not continue like this any longer. I texted him that I had found the urine, that we could not continue to do this to one another, and that I would leave his things outside. He then texted me and said “fine, I’m just going to get high.”
He spent the next several days texting me, convincing me he had “only smoke pot and had stayed off hard drugs” his “back pain had been so extreme that he needed relief, etc. etc". He was "so sorry and could he please come home," etc. etc. I stood my ground and told him “no.” He then began to beg me to not leave him, he would “die without” me and “kill himself” he has “no one” everyone has “left him” he has no “reason to live.” But, I still stood my ground. He asked me to take him to the ward, but my sponsor advised against it, finally after 10 days, he contacted his family and they took him to the ward. He spent 3 days there and then his mother picked him up and took him to Arizona (we live in Los Angeles) to try and get him away. He is now on a ranch with his mother. I’m not sure whether he is working a program or not, but he is there and I am having a harder time than I imagined. He has since contacted me twice this week. Telling me how sorry he is, and how he hopes I “love him” because he “loves me so much and does not want to lose me.” He is “doing everything he can to be sober and stay sober, and he just wants to be able to (keep me in his life) and talk to me."

My question is: Can I talk to him? If so, how often? I did not end things with him because I fell out of love. I still love him deeply, and care for him very much. He is like family to me. But, "nothing changes, if nothing changes," and I know that unlike the other relapses, I can not cushion his rock-bottom anymore. But, if I am being completely honest, I do not want to cut him out of my life completely either.

If anyone takes the time to read this, thank you.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are in a very, very hard place right now.
Your story sounds so very similar to mine. The time line never added up, I could've bet my life he was high as a kite but i had negative drug tests right on my counter with him laughing in my face about what a "psycho" I was.

The crazy just never ended. I would stay up at night thinking that if i ever actually did kick him out of my life altogether, that all of these things i was juggling would all come tumbling down. My family would want better for me. My daughter's life would be uprooted. There would be essentially no turning back. All that "no contact" talk I heard was just insane to me.

Eventually, I got so hurt and so defensive and so "police" like & "mommy" like that I hated myself. I didnt want to live with me. I certainly didnt want to live with him.

The thought of leaving wasn't so bad anymore, because the craziness was THAT bad. You aren't there yet. Should the cycle continue, I imagine you will get there soon.
Be prepared for the worst and the "unthinkable." Take care of you. Seriously.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi "anxious wife,"
Thank you for taking the time to read this, I was worried no one would respond, but I really needed to write down my thoughts somewhere. I'm so sorry to hear you are in a similar situation. I am at the point where I understand and ACCEPT that this is not the life I want for myself. But, I have a difficult time not "day-dreaming" of the life I would like to have if he gets sober.

I was considering sending him an email asking him not to contact me for a certain period of time, and if after that time frame he was still sober and had a program in place, we could speak on the phone. What do you think though? Is it better to use this time now to fully heal and attempt to cut ties completely? Again, I would rather have him in my life as a friend than nothing at all.

Hugs,
Old 08-29-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Broken Heart of Gold

Hey hopepraylove...so sorry you're going through this

It's important for you to take care of yourself right now. You did the right thing. Focus on your new job and your new apartment. You don't need to tell someone you're going no contact - you just do it. Let go & let HP. He's broken your trust - I can't tell you what your boundaries are, but you should ask yourself if lying to you is a sign of love.

We all love our addicts and want them to get sober. That's why we're here. Unfortunately though, it's not up to us and we have to let go because we have no control. Good luck to you - I hope you find the strength to embrace your new journey rather than dwell on the "what ifs" about life with an addict. Hugs to you!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

this is a painful place to be. Been there, a thousand times over. Advice is that - these drugs don't let people go. It's a life long battle and it robs all involved of everything they have and everything that they are.

I wish I felt idyllic about it and could say something soft and gentle but frankly, there isn't anything like that. It's an evil battle and deadly to more than finances, physical, mental or emotional stability. You will find yourself in a fight for your sanity. Please find a meeting and read Co-dependent No More by Melody Beattie. Work on your healing, he is the only one who can help himself.

Each time we read a new story, it pains us too. We know what you feel and where this will take you because we have been there. We would love to save you from that - but like the addict's own recovery - you must control your destiny and love your life not only for you but for those who love you.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

someone said to me --- take the drugs out of the picture.
are his actions, or lack thereof, acceptable as relationship material? is his character, drugs removed, enough?

while actively using, the answer to those questions are a resounding NO.

no one can tell you where to go from here. when you're done, you'll know.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JOIE12 View Post
this is a painful place to be. Been there, a thousand times over. Advice is that - these drugs don't let people go. It's a life long battle and it robs all involved of everything they have and everything that they are.

I wish I felt idyllic about it and could say something soft and gentle but frankly, there isn't anything like that. It's an evil battle and deadly to more than finances, physical, mental or emotional stability. You will find yourself in a fight for your sanity. Please find a meeting and read Co-dependent No More by Melody Beattie. Work on your healing, he is the only one who can help himself.

Each time we read a new story, it pains us too. We know what you feel and where this will take you because we have been there. We would love to save you from that - but like the addict's own recovery - you must control your destiny and love your life not only for you but for those who love you.
Hi Joie,
I have the book "No More," I also have several al-anon, codependency and meditation books. I'm taking my program very seriously. As much as the books and meetings help, it is undoubtably difficult to have a complete 180 from the life you were building with an addict. Each time my X got sober, the same promises would be given. He was able to stay clean for 3-4 months, but always fell back into a relapse and psych break.

I want more for him and I want more for myself. I'm just having a tough time with the transition.