Ardy and Ed he has had a stroke with withdrawl

Old 08-25-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ardy and Ed he has had a stroke with withdrawl

Hi all I need some help with any thoughts you have on withdrawl from morphine or major pain drugs..
Sunday night Ed had a small stroke .. he stopped taking the morphine without telling anyone.. see drug takers can controll everything.... the withdrawl set this in motion.. please...
does anyone have experience in this.. will he be better even a bit..
he is in hospital.. does know that I am there some of the time.. can not be on his own for long.. standing up he could fall.. sitting he falls asleep fast.. have to watch when he is eating falls asleep in a breath... I am at work to day untill 2:30 and then back to the hospital... will know more on his condition today later. please anyone with experience or ideas HELP... prayers to all ardy
Old 08-25-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh Ardy, I am so so very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Wish there was something I could do for you, just know that my heart is with you.

This is a quiet board this morning, I'm sure you'll hear from many others soon.

ShootingStar1
Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Withdrawal is a complex chemical process, and you will be in the hands of trained medical staff members.
The facility’s doctors can prescribe careful doses of anti-anxiety and anti-nausea medication to ease the withdrawal process.
Other medical needs will be properly addressed.
There is no danger of relapsing when your withdrawal symptoms are at their worst, as you won’t have access to morphine.
When the withdrawal stage is complete, the treatment center can immediately start you on a course of psychotherapy.
As important as it is to get over the physical craving to use morphine, whether for pain management or fun, controlling the mental compulsion to use morphine plays an even bigger role. A psychotherapist’s job is to work with you to understand the thought processes that led to an unhealthy need for morphine.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Ardy, I am sorry to hear this. Please know you are both in my prayers.

XXX
Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers for you and Ed, ardy.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have just talked to hospital.. Ed is more awake today.. they are not going to give any type of nac for anything... he has asked for me once and then gone back to sleep.. it maybe several days that he is in hospital.. for this... withdrawal.. Kids and Beans.. please please.. listen to this old lady of time.. Drugs and Drink . .you cannot control them.. they control you. once you have stepped into their world.. your life belongs to them and only them.. please seek medical help for withdrawal don't do this because you are so much smarter.. it never works well never... prayers to you all and so much love.... I am safe for the old German Momma in me is holding the heart sick Marine at bay.. clean get down on your knees and scrub that floor.. until you can not move.. I listen to the Grandma in my body instead of the drinker in my head.. love to all ardy
Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

maybe this will help some of you.. for this is what is happening to Ed...
Abdominal cramps: One of the most common symptoms that people experience upon discontinuation is that of abdominal cramping. You may notice cramps in other areas besides your abdominal region, but this tends to be most pronounced.
Anger: During withdrawal, it is very common to experience changes in mood. Many people end up having to deal with an array of psychological symptoms, including anger. The anger may be difficult to control, so if you find yourself feeling grumpy, chalk it up to withdrawal.
Anxiety: Another very common psychological symptom is that of anxiety. The anxiety may range from being relatively mild to very extreme. Opioids like morphine tend to reduce anxiety, and when discontinued, anxiety can really flare up. Many people find medications like clonidine helpful to cope with it.
Appetite changes: You may notice that you have completely lost your appetite upon quitting morphine. Usually within a day or two of your last dose, appetite loss is thought to be at its peak. It may take awhile for your appetite to fully recover, so do your best to continue eating healthy foods.
Concentration problems: When dealing with an array of psychological and physical withdrawal symptoms, most people aren’t going to be able to concentrate. You may notice “brain fog” or an inability to think clearly in addition to a general confusion.
Confusion: Most people feel confused about how they are feeling and aren’t able to think clearly. Moods are in fluctuation and concentration is poor, which results in confusion. Realize that your normal cognition will eventually return.
Cravings: This is a drug with a very short half-life, which can make cravings very intense during withdrawal. Initially a person will crave the drug immediately when they quit. The longer a person remains sober, the more cravings are reduced.
Crying spells: It’s common to cry as a result of hopelessness and depression that a person may face when they withdraw. However, it’s also common to cry as a result of “watery eyes” which is very common when coming off of an opiate.
Depersonalization: Do you feel unlike your normal self? During withdrawal, some have described their feeling as a “trance-like” state. Some people have mood swings, depression, and feel as if they will never feel “normal” again. This is a combination of nervous system changes, anxiety, and brain function. With enough time, you will experience a full recovery.
Depression: The depression that most people experience when they quit morphine is mild to moderate. In some cases, the depression may become severe, but most people notice mood improvements within 10 days of withdrawal. Although it may take significantly longer than 10 days to recover from the depression, you will eventually bounce back to normal mood.
Diarrhea: The use of morphine tends to result in constipation. When you stop taking it, the exact opposite occurs and people experience diarrhea. If you are having trouble coping with this symptom, consider purchasing some over-the-counter Imodium.
Dizziness: When withdrawing from morphine, it’s very common to feel dizzy. You may feel dizziness throughout the day and/or vertigo. The dizziness is generally more intense for those who quit their medication “cold turkey.”
Fatigue: The degree of fatigue and lethargy may be severe. You may find yourself unable to get out of bed in the morning. You may also notice that performing one simple task such as: cooking breakfast, taking the dog for a walk, or doing the dishes – seems impossible. Your energy levels will continue to return the longer you are off of the drug.
Flu-like symptoms: Many people have reported their withdrawal experience as being “flu-like.” They experience things such as: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headaches, chills, and aches. The bulk of these flu-like symptoms tend to improve after the first week of withdrawal.
Goosebumps: Another thing some people notice when they stop opiates is that they have goose bumps. These are uncontrollable sensations that occur across the skin as a result of nervous system readjustment.
Headaches: Morphine can reduce and/or eliminate headaches while a person takes it. However, when they stop taking the medication, a person may notice that they experience headaches. These may range from being mild to full blown migraines. Like other symptoms, these will improve with time.
High blood pressure: This drug has a depressant effect on the nervous system, meaning activity slows such as heart rate and blood pressure. When a person quits, they may experience a spike in blood pressure. If you think this may be a problem, talk to your doctor and monitor changes closely.
Hormone imbalance: Not all cases of hormonal imbalance are due to opiate usage, but if you were on morphine for a lengthy period of time, it’s likely a contributing factor. During withdrawal your hormones may be imbalanced. Keep in mind that hormonal functioning will eventually normalize if you remain sober.
Hot flashes: You may notice that you experience “hot flashes” or “cold flashes” as you come off of this drug. These may be uncomfortable and unexpected, but are one of many reactions people have during discontinuation.
Insomnia: Some individuals may have no problem falling asleep at night, while others may be plagued with extreme insomnia. In many cases, this insomnia can be fueled by restlessness and anxiety. In order to best cope with this symptom, consider a melatonin supplement and/or relaxation exercises before bed to lower your arousal.
Irritability: Do not be surprised if you become irritable during withdrawal. Many of the symptoms can result in increased stress, which can make even the most calm people have a short fuse. If you feel irritable and as though everyone is getting on your nerves, take a step back and realize that it’s partly due to withdrawal – this will go away.
Itchiness: Withdrawal from morphine can result in itchiness and/or itch sensations across the skin. Some individuals end up thinking that this is a rash, when it’s really itching that’s caused by withdrawal. Conducting a slow taper may reduce this symptom, but not in all cases. The itching may be very uncomfortable, but will subside.
Mood swings: Don’t be surprised if you notice that your moods are negative and that they constantly change. For example, one minute you may have bad anxiety, the next you may feel hopeless and depressed. Another minute you may have a glimmer of hope that your situation is going to improve. These are difficult to deal with, but eventually your mood will normalize.
Muscle aches: While coming off of morphine, you may notice that your muscles ache. Some people report joint pain as well. Part of this pain has to do with your body’s natural endorphin levels being abnormally low as a result of morphine use. As your body readjusts and endorphin levels are reestablished, aches and pains should diminish.
Nausea: The nausea some people experience during the first week of withdrawal is extreme. In fact, in many cases extreme nausea is so intense that it leads to vomiting. Some nausea may be an unavoidable part of withdrawal, but it will get better.
Panic attacks: If your anxiety become severe, you could have a panic attack. A panic attack is a sensation of severe anxiety that is usually triggered by an event or stimulus. If you begin having panic attacks, do your best to learn some relaxation techniques to lower your level of arousal.
Pupil dilation: Since taking this opioid will result in pupil constriction, the exact opposite occurs during withdrawal. If you notice that your pupils appear especially large, just know its caused by withdrawal.
Rapid heartbeat: Many individuals notice an increased heart rate when they come off of morphine. The increased heart rate is a result of the body speeding itself back up after being on a depressant for a long period of time. Some people may also note palpitations, or sensations of a pounding or racing heart.
Restlessness: Some people feel restless and unable to sit still as they discontinue morphine. This is usually a result of nervous system sensitivity and anxiety. Relaxation techniques may help you keep calm and cope with this symptom.
Runny nose: A natural consequence of withdrawal from opiates is that of a runny nose. You may need to keep some extra tissues around to help deal with this symptom. This symptom should gradually improve, but may feel like a bad “cold.”
Sleep changes: When you first come off of morphine, your sleep cycle may significantly change. You may find yourself feeling very tired at certain points throughout the day and/or anxious and unable to fall asleep at night. Your sleep patterns may be abnormal for awhile until you further recover.
Spasms: Many people report muscle spasms upon discontinuation. These spasms can last for a few days or a few weeks. As more time passes, these usually reduce in frequency and length.
Suicidal thinking: In some cases, the depression resulting from withdrawal can be severe. This could lead a person to feel suicidal during their withdrawal period. Although this feeling will eventually pass, it can be difficult to cope with. If you are feeling suicidal and think you may be of danger to yourself, seek immediate professional help.
Sweating: Many people report heavy perspiration upon initially quitting morphine. Sweating is thought to be the body’s natural way of responding to drug discontinuation. You may sweat profusely throughout the day and/or notice uncomfortable night sweats.
Vomiting: During the acute phases of withdrawal, you may end up getting sick to the point that you vomit. This is usually accompanied by an overwhelming nausea. The vomiting shouldn’t last longer than a few days.
Yawning: You may get annoyed with the constant yawning that accompanies morphine withdrawal. Coming off of any opioid can result in yawning that’s completely out of your control. Do your best to put up with it, realizing that the yawns will eventually subside.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

and he has and is going through all of it.. the sad part is.. this...
There’s no universal opiate withdrawal timeline that can be followed for morphine because everyone recovers at a different rate. Some people may experience a normal withdrawal period without any protracted symptoms, while another person may have a severe acute withdrawal and lengthy protracted symptoms. You really won’t know what your experience will be like until you’ve been through withdrawal.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Following the acute stage of withdrawal can come the “protracted” phase or “PAWS” (post-acute withdrawal syndrome), which can last anywhere from weeks to months.

The protracted phase is characterized by less intense physical symptoms and more psychological symptoms. While going through withdrawal, it is recommended to engage in healthy activities to ensure a steadfast recovery. Getting adequate sleep, some mild exercise (e.g. walking), being as productive as possible, eating healthy, and staying hydrated can go a long way towards helping your nervous system transition back to homeostatic functioning.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sending my prayers, Ardy.

I'm so sorry this happened.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all... we knew at least I did.. this would be one of the bottomlines of his life... I am praying that he recovers to a certain point and realizes how lucky he is... hugs so many hugs to you all.. for your light is my guide a path that by myself would be just to much to walk alone.. love ardy
Old 08-25-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're both in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Healing payers for both of you Ardy.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers go out for Ed and for you Ardy. Detoxing should only be done under medical supervision, what happened to Ed is why we remind members so often of this.

Big hugs for you, you've been through a lot.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi he was a little better yesterday.. they are going to start this med Gabapentin on him in huge doses.. I have done my digging . tell me this will be better then morphine.. someone please say my fears are not just...
Gabapentin is not a Controlled Substance, that is, one that the United States federal government classifies as having potential for addiction and regulates under the Comprehensive Drug Abuse and Control Act of 1970. However, gabapentin shares characteristics of addictive drugs in that it produces a withdrawal syndrome and certain psychoactive effects. Its cousin drug, pregabalin, is a Schedule V Controlled Substance.
For post-herpetic neuralgia (shingles), the dose is the same as for epilepsy. For adults with restless leg syndrome, the dose is 600mg taken at five o’clock in the evening.[xiv]
What are the Side Effects of Gabapentin?

The most common side effects of gabapentin are drowsiness, unsteadiness, sleepiness, loss of coordination, clumsiness, vision changes, and dry mouth.[xviii] Some people report the following rare side effects: edema, weight gain, swollen hands and feet, headaches, diarrhea, trouble thinking, abnormal thoughts, suicidal thoughts, fever, ataxia, diplopia, flu symptoms, shortness of breath, chest pain, mouth sores, chills, nausea, coughing, tremor, and other cold symptoms.

If you experience certain symptoms, you should call your doctor immediately because they can be a sign of a serious health condition. These can be black tarry stools, dark urine, tiredness, chest pain, suicidal mood, swollen glands, unusual bruising, rashes, or signs of an infection such as fever, cough and sore throat.[xix]

Children react to gabapentin differently than adults. They may experience behavioral changes, moodiness, hyperactivity, overly emotional states, and restlessness.[xx]
Which People Should not Take Gabapentin?

Gabapentin products have not been determined safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women or children, even though doctors sometimes prescribe it for children with epilepsy. People with histories of depression, mood or mental disorders, and kidney diseases usually do not take gabapentin because it can make these conditions worse.[xxvi] These drugs are used with caution for people with liver or heart diseases.[xxvii]
What are the Risks of Taking Gabapentin?

Gabapentin doubles the risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors, but the risk is still low. In one study of 27,863 patients on Neurontin and 16,029 on a placebo, 0.43% of the ones on the real drug became suicidal compared to 0.24% on the sugar pill.[xxxvii]

Gabapentin has some potential for abuse because it has psychoactive effects. Once you have been on it for a while, you may experience a difficult withdrawal syndrome when you try to stop taking it.

Gabapentin causes drowsiness and incoordination, which means that you are at an increased risk for accidents, and probably should not drive when you take this medication.[xxxviii]

Gabapentin increases the risk for sudden death after seizures in patients who have epilepsy. It can cause certain dangerous and sometimes even fatal reactions. Symptoms of this condition can be fever, rash, painful lymph glands in the neck and armpit, unusual bleeding, and yellow eyes and skin.[xxxix] Both of these reactions are extremely rare.
It has now been proven that gabapentin can build up in the body and cause a severe withdrawal syndrome similar to the ones for benzodiazepines and alcohol. The syndrome can last for weeks and even months, depending on the levels you took the drug and for how long you took it. Symptoms are agitation, confusion, disorientation, sensitivity to light, headaches, heart palpitations, and hypertension, chest pain. If you were taking gabapentin for epilepsy, your seizures will probably come back. Some people develop seizures during withdrawal even if they never had one before.[xlv]

What is Gabapentin Addiction?

In theory, gabapentin should not be addictive because it has no affinity for the nerve receptors associated with addictions to marijuana, benzodiazepines or opiates. It was marketed as non-addictive, but post-marketing studies showed that some people were abusing it. In the early 2000s, the drug was being sold to thousands of people with sales were over a billion dollars a year. Some of these patients were asking their doctors to increase their amounts (self-escalation) as they developed physical dependencies on Neurontin. When they tried to quit, they entered a withdrawal syndrome that caused them to go back to the drug. The new conclusion about gabapentin, as one expert put it, “The dependence and abuse potential for gabapentin has not been evaluated in human studies.”[xlvi]

The United States Drug Enforcement Agency does not list gabapentin as a drug of concern, even though it is being sold on the Internet illegally. Its street name is “morontin” because it makes you “dopey.”
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

someone tell me that this is not so and its going to be a bright yellow daisy of good things to help Ed.. he is getting better without this.. they have at this point for breakfast given him the first dose by the time I get to the hospital they will have given him the 2nd dose... Please God hear my scream of concern for my hubby.. ardy
Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

With so much already known about the effects of alcohol and drugs on brain chemical processes, researchers can use this information to identify other types of drugs that work within the same areas of the brain. While Neurontin or gabapentin was developed to treat a completely different type of physical disorder, it still targets the areas of the brain involved in alcoholism and addiction. Clinical studies make it possible for researchers to track Neurontin’s effects on the brain’s chemical pathways and determine whether the drug holds any promise as a treatment for alcoholism and addiction.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The rats receiving Neurontin showed an increase in GABA secretions and a decrease in alcohol cravings. Alcohol cravings were based on the number of times the rat would self-administer alcohol or ethanol doses. In effect, Neurontin interrupted the brain addiction cycle by replacing alcohol’s effects with Neurontin’s GABA-like effects. In the process, the brain’s GABA-secreting cells gradually regained their ability to secrete GABA on their own. The rats receiving Neurontin also showed a decrease in number of stress-like or withdrawal behaviors, such as agitation and fear-based behaviors.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Neurontin’s Negative Effects
With Neurontin being a synthesized version of the brain’s GABA neurotransmitter, it does tend to produce negative effects in study participants. Negative effects have also resulted in cases where Neurontin is used to treat seizure disorders. As one of the main neurotransmitter chemicals, GABA secretions affect a wide range of chemical interactions in the brain.

A person’s reaction to Neurontin or gabapentin will depend on their specific chemical makeup in terms of body and brain chemistry, so the types of effects experienced can vary from person to person. Some of the most common effects observed include:

Faintness
Erratic eye movements
Unusual thoughts
Memory problems
Tremors
Fatigue
Increases in appetite
People currently taking medication or those who’ve been diagnosed with any type of physical or psychological disorder may also experience negative effects from taking Neurontin or gabapentin. It’s not surprising that a medication like Neurontin would have such a high potential for causing adverse effects in other areas of the body as it does mimic GABA, an essential brain chemical. Unfortunately, this high potential for adverse effects may prevent researchers from finding ways to use Neurontin or gabapentin as a safe, effective treatment for alcohol and drug addiction disorders.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ardy, take a deep breath and know we are all praying for you and Ed.

I don't understand medications, but hopefully the people who are ordering Ed's do, and they will help him get through this.

Hugs to you, you sound like you could use some.