Treatment that actually works

Old 07-26-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

They are not a provider under any insurance plan, correct, but as I said they work with insurance companies to get reimbursement. Alina requires payment up front. Caron bills. This is from one of the admissions staff at Caron:

We (Caron Renaissance) are not in network with any insurance companies. We file insurance claims once treatment is completed, so we do ask for payment upfront (though we bill in 28 day increments, and don't ask for the entire amount upfront). Unfortunately I can't guarantee (or even estimate) how much, if any amount, would be reimbursed from here.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The Fix's price is old.......we had several places recommended to us in February 2014 - Caron was one - as I recall it was $38K for 30 days. We chose the bargain priced Father Martin's Ashley in Havre de Grace, MD for our daughter - it was only $ 22K or so.

As Lily1918 said, "All of this is fine and dandy, but it doesn't work if the addict doesn't want it to." We were very lucky as our daughter was really "ready" and embraced the program 100%. 18 months clean now, still works her program every day, now works in a Florida detox center.

I have come believe that rehab is just like college, by that I mean, one "gets out" of rehab exactly what they "put in".

Jim
Old 07-26-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

treatments that work

In patient at Caron PA cost about 30,000 dollars that our insurance company reimbursed in full.
The three months of residential at Caron Renaissance cost about 16,000 a month, the price went down to about 6, 000 a month in IOP (in IOP the expense is mostly rent and few meetings,; clients look for, and find jobs, and start to save money to move to the next level, which is a usually a halfway house, possibly one recommended by Renaissance)
Our insurance reimbursed group and individual therapy sessions.
It is very expensive but not a "luxury" rehab with special perks.
It is rigorous, breaking rules has consequences for the whole group, not just for the individual who breaks the rules, and yet there is a lot of support and compassion (including during "off time" at night and the weekend, when the counsellor assistants offer a listening ear and plenty of tissues to wipe many many tears)
I was also glad that the "separation" from the family was strictly reinforced, once it was explained to us. I am appalled by the number of parents who continue to have almost daily interactions with their children while in treatment, in my mind it undermines the treatment process and keeps relationships stuck in a dysfunctional pattern
Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Piove, was there a referral from a psych hospital or doctor for "in patient treatment" to justify Caron PA? I ask b/c insurance companies almost always want that referral before they will pay/reimburse.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

yes, there was an urgent referral, we called Caron PA for an intake and drove her there three days later. We paid upfront, insurance reimbursed us later, after receiving treatment plans from Caron
Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't understand why people spend a small fortune on rehab for a family member when free programs are just as good! Sometimes they are even better because they are less comfortable. These numbers leave me confused.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
I don't understand why people spend a small fortune on rehab for a family member when free programs are just as good! Sometimes they are even better because they are less comfortable. These numbers leave me confused.
I know of no free programs in NJ that compare.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Question. Most rehabs work with a local doctor. Have you talked to them to see if they have a physician you could send his medical records to who would be willing to make that referral? It may be worth checking into!

Just a thought. I know when my XAH went to rehab the first thing he did was go to a local doctor for a full physical, etc.

Originally Posted by piove View Post
yes, there was an urgent referral, we called Caron PA for an intake and drove her there three days later. We paid upfront, insurance reimbursed us later, after receiving treatment plans from Caron
Old 07-27-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alterity View Post
I know of no free programs in NJ that compare.
I don't understand what's being compared? The treatment method and length of stay? The boundaries put in place for residents and earned incentive programs?

Surely a plane ticket out of state does not cost $30,000

If a rehab is treated and outfitted like a resort, then that's how addicts treat it! It's not supposed to be Disneyland.

To each their own... but it did not work for me or AH. It was too comfortable.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lily, you said "I don't understand why people spend a small fortune on rehab for a family member when free programs are just as good!" but I don't know of any such free programs that are just as good (i.e. that compare) in the state of NJ which is where my family has been looking. I'm asking you to please provide some facts to back up your statement as it would be most helpful.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alterity View Post
Lily, you said "I don't understand why people spend a small fortune on rehab for a family member when free programs are just as good!" but I don't know of any such free programs that are just as good (i.e. that compare) in the state of NJ which is where my family has been looking. I'm asking you to please provide some facts to back up your statement as it would be most helpful.
Does the program follow a 12 step, smart, or other widely used guideline? Is it long term? Long term meaning 6-18 months?

These are only my ESH. Are you asking for recovery rates per facility? That's all hearsay.

The "facts" I draw my knowledge from are that I am a recovering addict, married to a recovering addict. My mother and sister are addicts as well.

I can't bring you Harvard and Yale statistics. I can only report what I see in the trenches.

The free programs we as a family have found helpful are:

HopeHouse
Teen Challenge (also serves adults)
Salvation Army
Terros
Lifewell
Celebrate Recovery
AA/NA
Al-anon
PALS
First Step

I don't know if they have any of these where you are, but I was only commenting that they exist, and that travel to low cost treatment is less expensive than the numbers I saw quoted in this thread. There are always options. There is always hope.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My husband and I used to go to parent support group at the Caron foundation in New York City: the group facilitator is wonderful, has over 20 yr experience with addiction in young people, and does NOT work for Caron. He told us , over and over, that "Cadillac " rehabs are no better than free ones. And I believe it.
Caron PA was recommended to us because of its reputation, it was close to us, and could take my daughter right away. We did not have the time to look around for bargains. We had the financial ability to do that, and I am very grateful
We also opted for long term treatment because we could afford it, and knew that it was NOT a good idea for her to come back home or to live near us.
What we got for the money was a bunch of devoted professionals who took over, taught my daughter that life without addiction happens, gave her tools to live sober, and helped us become better parents
Old 07-27-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

to Lily1928
I forgot to mention that Caron follows both a disease and biopsychosocial model, relies a lot on 12 steps programs, does not say "we are the cure", actually is very strong on "death, institution or jail" if you keep using
I understand your desire to help others not be fooled by greedy rehabs, but please do not denigrate people who got sober in a way that you "disapprove" of. What matters, ultimately, is to live without addiction
Old 07-27-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It is not wise to put words in others mouths

I do not disapprove! I'm offering a word of caution that paying for rehab can be a form of enabling in and of itself. If an addict wants it, they will achieve it with or without your help.

That is all. Best wishes
Old 07-28-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Lily, Thank you so much for that list.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I could be wrong here, and excuse me if I am, but I think the issue is that you should be looking for a dual diagnosis facility?

When there is significant mental illness, a dual diagnosis facility will treat both the mental illness and the addiction. I wish that is what my X would have went to when he went to rehab. I wish he would have taken the time to research that.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Caron is a wonderful place. I learned a lot there. They gave me tools, AA/NA offered me sobriety. No rehab be it 30 days or 90 days can make a addict want sobriety. It's an inside job (Learnt that at Caron its a tool) if you can afford to send your addict to Caron by all means do it if they're ready. If you cant there are many other cheaper places. If your addict isnt ready dont waste your money on any of them. Give your addict the time to figure it out for their self. Hopefully they will maybe they wont it's really their life .......sorry I know it sucks I'm not in this forum by accident
Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I could be wrong here, and excuse me if I am, but I think the issue is that you should be looking for a dual diagnosis facility?

When there is significant mental illness, a dual diagnosis facility will treat both the mental illness and the addiction. I wish that is what my X would have went to when he went to rehab. I wish he would have taken the time to research that.
We aren't sure.... because apparently this synthetic "legal" substance can trigger psychosis (looks like schizophrenia and/or bi-polar) for as long as two months if not longer. Yes, it is true that B has a NVLD, but no place treats that, and his problems ALWAYS have coincided with drug abuse.

He needs a proper evaluation which he has not gotten at that malpracticing hospital, but now he is at a different place, so who knows... I also don't know if my family is going to try to get him to transfer to the Carrier Clinic where we are confident he would get a good evaluation. Just getting him there has been near impossible so far. (e.g. the hospital where he was flat out refused to honor the transfer request B made in violation of EMTALA)
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed bipolar but only when I was using it was the drugs that made it look that way... Just saying
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post

We've had experience with only one dual diagnosis facility and that was six years ago.

My son was admitted to a 90-day inpatient program at a dual diagnosis facility, and we were told the first priority was focus on treating substance abuse; I don't know if they ever did address psychiatric issues during that stay.