xanax

Old 06-02-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

xanax

My son has social anxiety according to his therapist and suffers from depression. The doctor has put him on zoloft. The therapist feels he should have something to take on an "as needed" basis. Our normal family doctor wrote a script for visteryal (not sure of spelling but just a high does of benadryl) He refused to write the xanax prescription. Therapist recommended a new doctor for my son. He went there and that doctor also refused to write the xanax prescription. He wrote one for busprinone (spelling?) Anyway, my son said that doesn't work either and wants real meds... He was explained to by the doctor that xanax is addictive and until he builds a repor with the new doctor he won't prescribe that. I told him too how bad it was. Now has turned back to the alcohol. Drank Friday night and was good. Showed no signs of being drunk. I found the beer in his room the day after. Then last night he got 60proof and was obviously not 100%. Today I confronted him about it and that did not go well. Of course I was told I only ever see the negatives and come down on him for that and never look at his positives.... Told me the girlfriend didn't buy him the 60 proof. Told me the girlfriend is a drinker too... Funny, she always said she doesn't drink so.....
Old 06-02-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there are several different bup meds. Are you able to google which it is ? or confirm with your son ?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Found out tonight that he has been getting Klonopin from a guy his friend works with. He and his friend went drinking and he ended up passing out. His friends mother called me. He is so upset with the doctors for not allowing him to take it so now he goes behind their backs.... I read about how addictive it can be.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hummingbird1094 View Post
He is so upset with the doctors for not allowing him to take it so now he goes behind their backs....
THIS is upsetting, isn't it? Pure manipulation. Drives me nuts when I hear this particular excuse. I found a couple pills in a plastic bag a few months back and was told it was OK since he had a Rx and had taken it before. Oh really? A doctor gave you a couple loose pills in a bag?

The active addict knows what's best for him--more drugs.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

He's starting a new cycle H, what can you do to cut it off right now? Go back and read your previous posts. You gave him an ultimation about drinking, and now drugs, he's called you on that. Send him to his college apartment, and never mind about the cooking or whatever.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He doesn't have his apartment anymore. He is taking summer classes and drives 4 days a week to them.

The girlfriend is not the one getting the alcohol. He now gets it from the guy who he got the klonopin from.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My X almost died from mixing Xanax and alcohol. I hate to say, until he has some hard sobriety for quite a while, I agree with the doctors. It's quite a dangerous mix.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He is so upset with the doctors for not allowing him to take it so now he goes behind their backs.... I read about how addictive it can be.

no, i'm afraid you are missing the point here HB. he is upset because he wanted to the doctors to give him STRONGER DRUGS and they said NO. that's called doctor shopping. he wants the Xanax and the Klonopin to get HIGH, not to relieve any anxiety. he is doing exactly what HE wants....drinking and using drugs. while residing in your home.

Now has turned back to the alcohol. Drank Friday night and was good. Showed no signs of being drunk. I found the beer in his room the day after.

he is violating all the rules....and if you allow this to continue, without taking a harder stand, you are ENABLING his behavior. you should know by know that he cannot safely take ANY drugs or alcohol and be "ok".
Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, well Xanax and alcohol can be lethal when taken together - not to mention that Xanax is also addictive.

He doesn't need it - he just wants it.