"The Substance of Things Hoped For"

Old 04-20-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"The Substance of Things Hoped For"

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

It says in the Bible, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for ..."

I just got to thinking about it reading the title of this forum.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this.
I also like to ponder the living water of Christ, and the new wine of the Holy Spirit.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This strikes a chord with me.

AH and I have studied the Bible from our mothers skirts. It was not until a year ago that I really began to understand it.

There are so many translations and things taken literal when they should be figurative and so on...

Hmmm.... substance abuser if faith is the substance of things hoped for.... isn't it interesting how addicts gas light and abuse the substance of things hoped for by their loved ones.... substance abuserThe addict knows their loved one has hope and faith that they will someday stop using. They latch onto that faith, twist it, distort it, and use it to keep the loved one enabling them. "I'm really done this time... I called the detox, they don't have beds... I can beat this on my own with God's help... I just need prayer and more faith... everything is ok... I don't get high I just stay well...I'm going to meetings... I'll check into rehab tomorrow" the list goes on and on. Isnt it interesting how Satan quoted scripture to Jesus in the desert... but he twisted it, manipulated it, and took it out of context.... Wow I can't explain the light bulbs this post has caused to go off in my head.

Speaking of faith from "the Biggest Book" lol. I follow the Big Book of AA, but hold the Bible higher, so I call it that as a joke....

We always say in secular recovery circles things like "actions speak louder than words... watch actions..." etc and so on.... our loved ones quack quack quack all day long. They sometimes even go to church and work and keep up appearances very well. They lie and steal and break the law and use on Saturday, "just to be well enough" to be able to sit in the pew Sunday morning. I did. AH did. We had using friends that did. For years and years.

Look what Paul also writes in his letter to James:

James 2:17-19 (paraphrased version)
"So you see, it isn't enough just to have faith. You must also do good to prove that you have it. Faith that doesn't show itself by good works is no faith at all. It is dead and useless. But someone may well argue " You say the way to God is by faith alone! Plus nothing!" But I say that good works are important too,for without good works you can't prove whether you have faith or not; but anyone can see that I have faith by the way I act."

Did I have faith when I was not living right? Did AH? Of course!!! But we both abused it, until it was practically dead.

Thanks for this thread! It's very thought provoking for me. Im sorry for the long post. I never see threads about the Bible on this forum. I'm excited because I study it a lot with my sponsor. I rarely post about it here directly because I know we all have different higher powers.

Hugs,
Lily
Old 04-21-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They got me at the soothsaying snake.......

If THAT doesn't encapsulate addiction in a nutshell---I don't
know what does.

(not that I am a believer in talking snakes, but I'd like to think
I am smart enough not to turn up my nose at wisdom...regardless
of the source)

......"don't take a chomp out of that apple, kid----you may never find
your way out!"
Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Actually, Paul didn't write that letter to James. James wrote it to the members of the church. That's why the language in it, the way things are said, is different from the letters Paul wrote.
Check out some of the letters Paul did write and see what they say about faith.
See what Jesus said about faith. One thing He said is, that if we have faith even as small as a mustard seed we can move mountains!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
Just thought I'd throw this out there.

It says in the Bible, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for ..."

I just got to thinking about it reading the title of this forum.
I love this verse Firesong. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Hebrews 11:1

I relied on Faith when my husband was sick with his addiction. Faith in God, in my husband, in the doctors who treated him, faith in our marriage how we had the ability to get through it and be stronger because of the test, and faith in myself knowing I could make it through and be ok.

Matthew 17:20 "*If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

Ive always been inspired by this one too. But for me this one implies I use all available to me to make the mountain move.

Thanks for the reminder today.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, BlueChair.

I think it is cool that you quoted that verse about faith from Matthew. Just yesterday I started doing a Bible word study on "faith" and that is one of the verses I read.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
Thanks, BlueChair.

I think it is cool that you quoted that verse about faith from Matthew. Just yesterday I started doing a Bible word study on "faith" and that is one of the verses I read.
Falling back on my faith, and on many of the things I was taught by my parents on how to cope with hard times have really helped me. Its funny sort of for me. Without a doubt this has been the most difficult challenge Ive had to face, and going back and pulling strength from things I learned before, but hadnt really had to apply (at least not to this degree) has been interesting. I also find encouragement in music. Its nice to hear your doing a bible study. My husband and I have got more involved with our church, and I even joined the choir. I dont sing every Sunday , and Im sure the congregation is happy for it. Ha! But its fun and Ive met some great people.

((Hugs to you))
Old 06-04-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs, BlueChair. I really needed that tonight. Sitting home with a very bad toothache and I can't afford to see a dentist.

My friend has started reading his Bible and that is encouraging me to read mine. These days I am working my way through the book of Job. And I pray one of my favorite Psalms, try to read it every morning, Psalm 91. It encourages us both a lot.
Peace.

P.S. I like the picture of your chair. Years ago I was at the home of friends who were having a painting party to paint the trim on their house and some lawn chairs. Two of us painted the two wooden lawn chairs ... blue!
When I (being a klutz as I often am) knocked over the can of paint, my reaction was "Oh, no! I am so sorry! There goes a whole can of paint!" The other painter's response? Laughter and "Paint fast!"
So we did, scooping up the spilled paint from the dropcloth with our brushes. We finished the chairs just fine!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Firesong. One of my friends made the picture and incorporated all these special symbols that have meaning to me. I actually want to create a blue chair like the one in the picture. So your story of spilling blue paint made me laugh. Im a little clumbsy myself at times.

I hope your tooth is better today. The nerves in the teeth have to be very tiny, but they cause giant size pain.