Is it ok to speak to a AH's doctor?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm not a medical professional, but my therapist has told me that as a general rule she was trained not to make a psychiatric diagnosis while there was an ongoing substance abuse issue. So it may be very hard for a doctor to figure out exactly what is causing his problems. Honestly, from where I sit, it looks like this fixation on trying to figure out why he is acting this way is a distraction for you from confronting the fact that it has gotten to a point where he scares you, and scares you enough that you have set up an emergency texting system with your sisters. No one should have to live in that kind of fear.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello Eileen,

I agree to work towards a geriatric psych evaluation via inpatient. They are going to need to detox some of it out of his system to probably get a clear picture.

Could you call the primary's exchange ? I wonder if they could help expedite so you aren't sitting and waiting in some ER? They might be able to provide some insight.

Peace to you. I'm sorry you found that letter but I think it makes your gut 100% accurate! He's simmering on suicide. It's no longer an idle threat.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm guessing your AH signed an ROI? I've tried to get mine to do the same but he hasn't yet, so every time I've even hinted to his doctor at discussing his treatment, she very tactfully sort of...makes it clear that due to privacy policy, she can't go into detail.

However, she has also said outright that counseling & continued regular appointments are very important in his case.

I should mention also that my son just happens to have the same doctor as my husband (this probably isn't the case necessarily for everyone, just the way the system worked out for us with Native Tribal health...).