My first meeting

Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first meeting

I am planning on going to my first meeting tonight. I am totally lost as to which one/what type to go to. My daugheters father is an alcoholic and drug addict, more so drugs. Does it matter if I go to NA or AA? Also, what if I'm the only one who is there because of the damage caused by a loved one? Will I still find support even if all of the people attending are there for their own addiction?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Wiltwillow,

The meeting that would be most appropriate for you to attend is an AlAnon or NarAnon meeting, not NA or AA. If you are seeking support and community for yourself in relationship to an addicted loved one, that is where you belong, not at the other groups. And I would recommend looking for a NarAnon group first since drugs are involved. That said, the support and education you will get at AlAnon meetings will be very similar to NarAnon, so no worries if there's not one in your area. Here are some links:

Nar-Anon Family Groups

http://www.al-anon.org/

If your daughter is older than 9, she could also go to an Alateen meeting, which you can find on the AlAnon site.

It is also recommended that you give yourself a few meetings before you decide it is not for you, and then try a different one for a few times as well. The groups change, they have different "personalities" despite the program, and you should find one you like, so don't despair if the first one or two feels awkward. People are usually very welcoming at these meetings, but if no one notices, do tell someone there you are new, and they should have some materials for you and a warmer welcome.

Best wishes!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with GardenMama, I have attended AA and NA when invited by my son, and it helped me understand his disease and recovery process a little but what helped ME most of all was finding my own meetings for my codependency. Al-anon and CoDA were my two fellowships I attended. Each brought me peace and growth and courage to change and gave me tools that I use in all aspects of my life today.

Please let us know how you make out. We are cheering you on.

Hugs
Old 01-03-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WiltWillow, I am happy for you, that you have decided to go. I think you will find that you look forward to them. I get so much warmth and acceptance from the al-anon group I go to.

Give it a bit of a chance, even if it feels strange at first.

Hugs,
chicory