People who tell me my filing for divorce are making me angry

Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes Hopeful I have done the same thing. I just keep praying to God that he keeps my heart open to receiving His messages and that He grants me wisdom to recognize when I'm struggling against His will.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waitingforhope View Post
On another forum, I received a bit of a scolding from some addicts about filing for divorce. Basically telling me that leaving him will make him worse,

Even a lady at church implied that my lack of regular attendance recently over the past couple months contributed to my husband being overcome with demons.
I hope you're talking about that whole other site I think you visit and not here!

And Omg... I can't get the visual/audio of "The Church Lady" out of my head now LOLOLOLOL!

Hang in there. Stay strong and on track. You're doing all the right things.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Could it be Satan?! LOL No it wasn't here. You can rest assure that everyone here has been great
Old 11-19-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Can I borrow this line?

I've had a hard and fast running budget (4 mi/day) that is DAMNED hard to stick to
come rain or shine. I'm down budget by 1 1/2 miles this week. Can I have the boards
permission to blame it on "demons" and NOT just my lazy ass??????

"Allowed demons" in?!?!?! I mean...for REAL????

In Vale's experience, the toughest talkers are the FIRST to break.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Permission granted.....I think it's going to be my new excuse for everything. The demons made me do it......Lol
Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

BTW, I asked God, too.

God said "Vale, get off your lazy ass and tack on the
extra miles today"

I was 'kinda hoping the demon line would allow me to
skate............... damn!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

LOL, couldn't resist!

Could it Be..... - YouTube
Old 11-20-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

LMAO! Those were the good ole days of SNL!
Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Waiting for Hope,
Just wanted to let you know that i see your story as inspirational. I admire your fortitude and see it is an example for those of us who haven't quite worked up the nerve to do what you've done. Good for you.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
Well, I can understand why it would.

The issue I take with people who talk about marriage vows in the way that you describe above -- in sickness and in health -- is they conveniently overlook that the addict is sick because of their ultimately selfish and poor choices. To pick up to begin with is an incredibly poor decision. To sustain the addiction at the expense of everything else is selfishness at its worst.

Marriage vows only work if both parties are playing by the same set of rules. And in your case, your AH has been playing by his own rules that have undercut the viability of the marriage.

I mean, really? If people really want to hang their hats on in sickness and in health under these circumstances, it says more about their cognitive dysfunction than it does your moral compass.
Delete
Old 11-20-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

On another forum, I received a bit of a scolding from some addicts about filing for divorce. Basically telling me that leaving him will make him worse, never mind the fact that us, his family hasn't heard from him since I found out about his use. Never mind about what is best for my kids or I.
With all due respect to all members on all forums here, the forums for addiction and substance abuse are often members who don't understand what is is like to be "us", anymore than most of us can understand what it is like to be them. That's why we have so many forums, so that we each can find the ones that best support our individual needs. I sometimes cringe when I see codies go up there to ask questions, hoping to get a different answer then down here. And I cringe when members from "up there" come down here to tell us how to do our recovery. I love all our members on all forums, really I do, but only the double winners can truly understand both sides of addiction at the same time, and bless them for sharing here.

I was the world's biggest codie at one time and I would wrap myself in the kindness of people who said that my son "needed" me to stick by him no matter what, or those who suggested how "lucky" he was to have a caring mother like me who would do "anything" for him. Balderdash! This codie's enabling could have killed her addicted son and it almost killed her.

My point is, be true to yourself, be true to what you know is right and stand for your values and choices...even if you stand alone. Because when you do what you know is right in your heart, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks or does or if they stand with you or walk away. It's a wonderful lesson of recovery to be able to think independently and make decisions that are in our own best interest (and best interest of children when that applies) without fear of what anyone thinks.

Gee, that's a lot of words to say I support what you are doing and don't worry so much.

Hugs
Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Sauerkraut, that's super sweet and encouraging for me to hear. I'm touched to know that people are following my journey through the lows and highs. I really appreciate that people here have my back.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

In reality it doesn't matter how others judge. You need to do what is best for you. I remember when I filed my sister in law was angry with me. SHE felt I should of stayed in the marriage. I was shocked and hurt by her anger. BUT, the best thing I ever did was file for divorce and get out of being treated like crap. You have no control over the addiction. You shouldn't feel like you need to stay to keep him healthy. You need to take care of yourself. People will always judge.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you! I think my girls and I are doing a pretty good job of hanging in there. Sometimes we have a couple of set backs but that's to be expected under the circumstances. I'm not so worried anymore what people think. In fact, I'm sick of hiding under a rock so when people ask about my husband, I made a decision I'm going to tell the truth. So I've been telling people basically "well he left the hospital against medical advice and I found out he's meth addict and he got mad and now he's disappeared and I filed for divorce". The reactions I get are truly picture worthy.