Just a little bit strange conversation with my RABF last night.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a little bit strange conversation with my RABF last night.

Last night my RABF who was sobered for 10 months now told me he has a new sponsee. He told me his high school drug dealer came to the meetings this week and asked him to be his sponsor.

I was a bit puzzled. Because I thought you should at least sober for a decent amount of time and finish the 12-steps before become someone's sponsor. I didn't ask him about his recovery or meetings for a while already because I don't want to put all my focus on him anymore. And I found it my life becomes much peaceful and happier this way. Anyway, so I asked him if he finished the 12-steps yet. He told me that he did. I was a little bit surprised. Because I never receive any amends from him. (I didn't say it out to him, lol). But he told me he done the steps last month. Did the step 5 with his sponsor and made an amends to his mom couple months ago. Is that how is work in the steps program? I thought the step 8th is you have to list ALL the people you harmed and make amends to all of them. Isn't it? From what I heard from him, the way they do is they redo the step program repeatly and one by one.
I don't really concern how they do it, but I just wondering how does the steps program actually work.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Even if he hasn't offered an amends, there is nothing you can really do about it. There are many ways to skin a cat, and AA isn't a completely rigid format - each person has some leeway. Same thing with sponsorship, no one can enforce any "rules" about who is or isn't fit to be a sponsor. His group will have to deal with that part.

That said, he may or may not ever do an out-loud amends to you. If he is living in a responsible way, that may be his "living amends" to you.

Are you getting any help for yourself? Are you going to Al Anon meetings or talking to a counselor?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, I'm not questioning about his recovery. As I said, I don't want step to his drinking or drug problem anymore. I was just really curious. Maybe is a woman thing. lol

Is he living in a responsible way? I am not sure. His job doesn't make a lot of money. He living paycheck from paycheck. He could have save some money though, but he like to purchase a toy or couple for himself every month, so he is always broke. But that's his choice. His mom offed him and his brother a $1000 couple months ago, but he didn't take it. So I think it's a might be a sign that he tries to take care of himself. He...once in a while (every couple weeks) will get angry for something. But I don't response/react anymore. I keep on doing what I have to do, like hangout with my daughter & friends and learn things I'm interested in or shopping.

I told him I've been saving money for a while already, in a year or so, I will able to purchase a new place. He was a bit "angry" that I might move out without him and he won't able to support this place himself. I haven't decide if I will let him move in with me if I bought a new place yet. But I have to look after myself first. I want to do and treat myself right first, isn't it?

I didn't go to al-anon now. And counselor, he said that we should go to a couple counseling couple months ago. I said okay and told him to contact a counselor and set up an appointment. It's been over 2 months now, I didn't hear anything back. I causally asked about the appointment in the first 2 weeks. I don't eager for a counselor, because I sorta know what I want and accept. I have no problem to kick him out if things go downhill.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You sound like you are taking care of yourself and have your eyes open, I hope he keeps moving in a positive direction.

It often doesn't happen quickly and you're right, that's something you'll have to decide if you are comfortable with.